Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Do I have to zoom in every time? On my treo 755 there was a choice to optimize the page for mobile phone. Now on this it seems you have to zoom in and move the screen over. Am I missing a setting somewhere?
    your not missing anything, that's how it is. Double tap is a little faster.
    Yeah, I wish text would format automatically when you zoom in, to fit the screen like Opera Mobile does.
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    when you zoom, then you have to scroll from left to right to see the whole page. I don't know if I can hang with that. I can't even use facebook.
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    I'm not quite sure why you're having an issue. I bring up Facebook without any problems. I don't even need to zoom. Are you using the Facebook link thast comes up when you click on the web icon?
    The double tap is working for me. Ill coming from Blazer so I'm very happy with the Pre.
    I have not done a ton of browsing yet, but if you double-tap the screen as lopezpm mentioned, it will format like Opera does. Also, go landscape as much as possible, much better browsing experience, IMO.
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin
    I hope many sites that currently have a special iphone based site (based on detecting mobile safari) add a variable to check for the webos browser to show that page too
    Also try turning the Pre sideways and see if that helps with the text size.
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CindyLou View Post
    Do I have to zoom in every time? On my treo 755 there was a choice to optimize the page for mobile phone. Now on this it seems you have to zoom in and move the screen over. Am I missing a setting somewhere?

No, I can't use that one because I can't see comments on my updates or anyone else's....unless I"m not looking in the right place. Also, it doens't show notifications, so basically all I see on the facebook app that came on the phone is the original update me or someone else makes, but not the comments.
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by heberman View Post
    Also try turning the Pre sideways and see if that helps with the text size.

nope, not really and the thing is if its sideways then when I turned it to type it throws it off center.
    Double tap to do best fit for reading. Holding it sideways absolutely makes the font bigger.
    Cindy

I think many of those sites will be adjusting their sites to match mobile phones if they havent already.

A lot of sites have iPhone optimized sites (they detect your browser and show you the appropriate one)

since the iPhone and Pre have such a similar browser in size and all they can easily add a setting to show you the iPhone site on your Pre
    Hey, found out this morning that most sites will work with the "double-tap to reformat to the screen" like the iPhone. The ones that don't seem to work well are the mobile versions. You have to pinch zoom and then you are off the screen and have to scroll. Use full versions as you would with a PC/iPhone.
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin
    Quote Originally Posted by jsimon9633 View Post
    I hope many sites that currently have a special iphone based site (based on detecting mobile safari) add a variable to check for the webos browser to show that page too
    I hope so too. I don't mind the zooming in and out all the time but like regular ol' mobile versions of some sites too. And, I've found that some mobile versions of sites (like m.southwest.com) are way too small when they come up so I have to zoom anyway.

Sites just need time to adjust to the new type of browser I suppose.
    Brandon
    Quote Originally Posted by CindyLou View Post
    when you zoom, then you have to scroll from left to right to see the whole page. I don't know if I can hang with that. I can't even use facebook.
    What cell phone have you used that DOESN'T require this? It's the way it is. It's mobile browsing. Don't expect to get a desktop experience. There's a reason why a page that was designed for 12" screens or smaller, even bigger has to be panned sideways to see the whole thing on a 3.1" phone screen. Just learn to deal with it. It's not getting any better anywhere else, honestly.
    Double tap and landscape view is best way to do it.
    Sometimes with the double tap, it will zoom in, but the text is way too small to read. The Iphone does a better job keeping a default minimum text size and always makes it readable within the column.... this one does sometimes... but sometimes it zooms into a size 6 font which is too hard to read.

There should be a setting for this like Opera Mini has....
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Just to be clear,

if the Pre goes to a mobile-optimized site, then the page is formatted correctly and we don't have to scroll side to side right?

And also, for sites that are not mobile-optimized, there is no option for the browser to force everything to a single page width? (like on Pocket Internet explorer, there is the "single column", view which I love).
    I personally really like the browser and how it displays websites. I would HATE to go back to Pocket Internet Explorer.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast