Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    I did jump ship. Ported over today from the Iphone and same is true for my wife.

What the hell are you rambling about anyways? You call people morons and offer nothing constructive.
    Not you... sheesh. THe original poster. Man... context.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    It's kind of funny how so many of the posts here have turned sour now that the Pre is available and in people's hands... exactly the same thing happened with the first iPhone, when people started to realize all of the things it couldn't do (and some, it still can't!). Have patience, folks... Palm did a pretty bang-up job of resurrecting their brand and things will continue to get only better in time.

There's plenty to like, nice surprises in the Pre like how fast the camera shutter works (in decent light I can snap picture after picture faster than my dedicated Canon point-and-shoot!), how drop-dead simple the e-mail setup was, the Google contact & calendar sync just works. I have my negatives as well, of course (starting with the keyboard, of which I'm just not a fan)... but it all could have been much, much worse... at least the Pre is a serious contender for the iPhone and its ilk, and we'll all benefit from the healthy competition...
  3.    #23  
    Alright, I guess I'm just supposed to ignore the complaints from the Pre fans themselves. I'm sure everyone who has followed the forum for the last five months, would like nothing better than it to be the holy grail of cell phones. Now when when get some actual hands on reviews of production builds we're supposed to blindly ignore them. Many of the issues hopefully can be resolved with a OTA update, but the battery concerns I see trickling in are likely to remain. For me I'll give the next few months and see what shakes out. Glad everyone else is enjoying their phone.
    Palm V > samsung i500> treo 650 > treo 755p> Centro> Pre
    Again folks its never that serious. And the OP seems to be a long time Palm user.

But again, a lot of first gen items need tweaking.
    Nokia American Idol Phone< Motorola RAZR<Nokia Flip Phone<Sidekick Slide<Palm Centro<HTC Snap

Currently Enjoying: Palm Pixi
    Quote Originally Posted by LonghornTreo View Post
    Alright, I guess I'm just supposed to ignore the complaints from the Pre fans themselves. I'm sure everyone who has followed the forum for the last five months, would like nothing better than it to be the holy grail of cell phones. Now when when get some actual hands on reviews of production builds we're supposed to blindly ignore them. Many of the issues hopefully can be resolved with a OTA update, but the battery concerns I see trickling in are likely to remain. For me I'll give the next few months and see what shakes out. Glad everyone else is enjoying their phone.
    I take back the moron comment... you are not supposed to ignore complaints. It's actually a good thing that complaints are reported. The idea on this one is that Palm really did a good job, and for someone who wants to see Palm succeed, it would be wise to pick up a rather great phone, and Palm will correct the issues they see.

In other words, you hanging on to your Centro is not going to help Palm fix what's "wrong" with the Pre.
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LonghornTreo View Post
    It's understandable that you yourself wouldn't want to purchase the first model of a new phone and new operating system, but it's not understandable to ridicule those who were willing to do so. Few, if any, new products could ever be released if everyone took your position.

I researched this phone thoroughly before the purchase and only had only a few surprises: (1) it's much smaller than I expected, despite having read everyone else's saying so, (2) the touchstone didn't come with its own cable to allow it to serve as a second charging station, (3) the speaker is louder (can be made louder) than reviews led me to believe, and (4) it hasn't crashed on me yet.

I anticipate Palm and app developers improving this phone in a hurry. I'm guessing that Palm had to release prior to the iPhone for marketing reasons and so had to hold back a little on the bells and whistles.
    Quote Originally Posted by jtlapp View Post
    It's understandable that you yourself wouldn't want to purchase the first model of a new phone and new operating system, but it's not understandable to ridicule those who were willing to do so. Few, if any, new products could ever be released if everyone took your position.

I researched this phone thoroughly before the purchase and only had only a few surprises: (1) it's much smaller than I expected, despite having read everyone else's saying so, (2) the touchstone didn't come with its own cable to allow it to serve as a second charging station, (3) the speaker is louder (can be made louder) than reviews led me to believe, and (4) it hasn't crashed on me yet.

I anticipate Palm and app developers improving this phone in a hurry. I'm guessing that Palm had to release prior to the iPhone for marketing reasons and so had to hold back a little on the bells and whistles.
    I hope so! But i think they will have to focus on bug fixes before they start the significant software application improvements the device / OS needs. I would be surprised if it wasnt about 6 months before software apps are functionally improved
    Quote Originally Posted by searchable View Post
    I hope so! But i think they will have to focus on bug fixes before they start the significant software application improvements the device / OS needs. I would be surprised if it wasnt about 6 months before software apps are functionally improved
    I agree. As a whole, WebOS is very stable but it could use a little more speed which I think could be solved with some software updates. The only functional upgrades that I'm hurting for is the ability to activate the LED as a flashlight and to throw icons on the "desktop"
    Didn't they delay release so as everything was working properly
    As someone who didn't buy a Pre yesterday mainly because I had to work, I can echo the OP's thoughts a bit.

The software in infancy doesn't bother me as it will surely be patched and improved upon, but the sheer number of people with screen and heat issues have made me hesitant to go try to find one any time this week. I'm not about to go pay ~$350+ for something with dead pixels and a distorted screen.
    I have a question for those claiming no 3.0 soon.

iTunes 8.2 was released and it was stated that it's specifically to work with 3.0. So if 3.0 isn't going to be released soon, then why did they bother releasing 8.2?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    "Things are never as good or as bad as first reported." - source unknown

Honestly, what device launch has gone off without a hitch? We HAD TO expect glitches, miscues, and surprises. This would happen with an updated current model, and this is a brand new device with a brand new OS! Considering all this, I think the Rubinstein team did a wonderful job. Have faith that:

Palm will update the OS to fix problems like battery life, and add features like making the device more customizable. Changing fonts, alert tones, etc., will all come in future revisions of WebOS.

Developers will add the apps we're clamoring for. Palm has a rich history of a strong developer community, and with Jon and the boys running the show I see this continuing and even growing. These guys know what they're doing, on the hardware side, software side, and with the developer community.

Remember: deep, cleansing breaths!
    Verizon
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12