Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    I didnt purchase it.
    But i did play with it for a few hours in BB & Sprint Store.
    Here is what i thought.

In BB, i got to go back and forth, iPhone, then PRE, iPhone, then PRE. I'll be honest (and no i dont own an iphone), the iPhone felt better made, tight, strong, no creaks no wiggle, yes i know it doesn't slide, but the bottom line is that even without sliding the PRE, the iPhone plastic & metal & glass felt more mature. (even ver1 felt more expensive, etc). My opinion, and others in the store, but not a deal breaker.

If you push up the slide from the bottom, lookout, it can get hungup right at the beginning, the flex on the edge of the slider under the center button concerns me a little.

The mirror? oh well, its gonna have vertical scratches on it from where the pre slides up and down, and its doubtful you can do anything about it. I would have made the mirror narrower, keeping it inside the slide components, so that the mirror wouldnt end up scratched, but hey, nobody at Palm asked me!

The battery back, man, the tech at BB and at Sprint didnt want to take the battery back off, showing me that it feels like its gonna break, and causes many of them to drop the phone when they try.

Yes, many many phones feel the way this one does, but I guess I expected a bit more. My 700p feels about as good as this (no, not the pebble design, not the screen resolution, just the creakiness, the flex, etc).

The keyboard, ehh, didnt love it, my fingers constantly hit that slider edge at the top, man, just a few millimeters would have made a difference. 1 handed, its ok cuz the thumb points horizontally, but 2 handed, i am not sure how long it will take before i get used to it.

Software, amazing, love it, but thats not what this thread is all about.
    I put 2 PRE's on the waitlist, as planned, as i wait for WWDC to see what I'll do. I will say, my wife is leaning towards the PRE, and its mainly due to the size.
    - Jabra JX10
    - IBM Thinkpad
    - Hot chick Avatar

...ahhh, life is good.
    only thing I agree with you on is that the iPhone does feel a lot better made, no wiggles or anything. But hey, the Pre is great... I like it.
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    Wiggles? The pieces slide on the Pre, whereas it's just one "chunk" for the iPhone. To me, the Pre's build quality is fine. And oh- the wireless network signals it picks up! I think Palm did a great job.
    I agree.....it's just a cheap made phone. It is still beautiful and awesome but the iphone does have it beat in this department. The usb cover is really cheap! The main thing I am disappointed about is how loose the the slider is when closed. Not as tight as I would like. My wife's is the same, but hey, that's what the insurance is far.
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessh2036 View Post
    only thing I agree with you on is that the iPhone does feel a lot better made, no wiggles or anything. But hey, the Pre is great... I like it.
    Hi Chessh2036... so your PRE isnt showing scratches on the mirror from sliding yet? Both of the ones i played with, showed scratches vertically on the slider areas.
    - Jabra JX10
    - IBM Thinkpad
    - Hot chick Avatar

...ahhh, life is good.
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    mine is rubbing slightly but nothing even close to a scratch... and i have open/closed it atleast 100 times today.
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    It may have something to do with where you press, when you slide it. Obviously the demo phones have been pressed many different ways (even in 1 day), but my guess is that the higher your press on the screen to slide, the better chance the pressure will scratch the mirror.
    - Jabra JX10
    - IBM Thinkpad
    - Hot chick Avatar

...ahhh, life is good.
    Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    I haven't noticed scratches on the mirror side of the Pre but definitely something to keep an eye on. The build quality is certainly different from the iPhone. I love them both to be honest with you...but they are different and its necessary that they be that way. One is hard and solid the other smaller and sleek. I find the Pre keypad easy to use (coming from a Pearl). I haven't liked any virtual keypad yet, so for me the Pre is favorable in its hardware configuration when compared to the iPhone. That said, I have an iPod Touch and absolutely love the feel of the phone other than the virtual keypad.
    Pick up virtually any phone that has a slider and it will not be as "solid" as a brick - aka, an iPhone. Sure, no moving parts and glass make for a more solid device. However, IMO, the Pre is VERY solid and has nice weight (I actually always thought the iPhone was too thin as a phone). I was expecting worse - based on the reviews. I have been pleasantly surprised today (I have a Touch Pro, creaky and talk about plasticy - well, the Pre puts HTC to shame, IMO).

OK, sure the mirror should not scratch, but it is not meant to be a real mirror for gosh sakes! It is just made to be a way for people to get an idea of where the camera is pointing for self-portraits. So it scratches - put your lipstick on in a REAL mirror!
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin
    Global Posts
    210 Global Posts
    I don't find anything wrong with the build quality of the pre. I think naturally with moving parts people will say that the build quality is worse, but the back to the iphone 3g feels and looks exactly likes the pres.

The 1 thing I don't like is the micro usb charger cover.....but I fixed that with 2 touchstones!

Oh and I came from the iPhone 3g and AT&T, so I'm an actual real user of both, not just testing the phones at the store.
    Quote Originally Posted by buyrihn View Post
    Wiggles? The pieces slide on the Pre, whereas it's just one "chunk" for the iPhone. To me, the Pre's build quality is fine. And oh- the wireless network signals it picks up! I think Palm did a great job.
    It does wiggle doesn't it.. do all slider phones wiggle?
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    haha... i like the comment about the mirror & lipstick. My thoughts weren't actually about the usability of the mirror, it was more about the look of a scratched mirror to everyone else around me. I have $549 device in my hand, for it to have vertical rub-scratches showing on it when I talk, feels a bit cheapened.
    No, not a deal breaker, like i said, I just think with all the thought that went into this phone, maybe making the mirror narrower, with no contact to the slide mechanism, would have fixed the problem without sacrificing the usability of the mirror itself.

Glad to hear some iPhone "owners" giving the hardware a thumbsup.
    - Jabra JX10
    - IBM Thinkpad
    - Hot chick Avatar

...ahhh, life is good.
    I don't get the point of this thread? Are we really discussing at length that phone that is made from plastic and moves on a slider feels less solid then a metal and glass non-moving brick?
    IMO the pre feels GREAT..... fits in the hand perfectly and typing and gesturing on the screen feels great. WAY better then the iphone
    Quote Originally Posted by babydaddy75 View Post
    I don't get the point of this thread? Are we really discussing at length that phone that is made from plastic and moves on a slider feels less solid then a metal and glass non-moving brick?
    IMO the pre feels GREAT..... fits in the hand perfectly and typing and gesturing on the screen feels great. WAY better then the iphone
    So far, I agree completely. Build quality is fine, and compare to other sliders I've used (HTC Mogul, HTC Touch Pro), the Pre is built like a tank. And yes, that's from day one.

I'm perfectly happy with the Pre's hardware. I can see somethings Palm might have done differently, but then again, any ideas I might have are derived with no clue whatsoever of what it takes to design such a device.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babydaddy75 View Post
    Nope, we're not... we are discussing that I expected the phone to be better quality hardware wise. I threw in the iPhone just because its the phone i am debating against the PRE. Meanwhile, i've played with multiple flips, sliders, etc, and many of them feel solid like the iphone, even though they slide etc. The PRE just didnt wow me hardware wise, and i have specific concerns about specific parts. Just wondered if i was alone, cuz even the store associates were pointing out concerns to me about the hardware, though they loved the software.
    - Jabra JX10
    - IBM Thinkpad
    - Hot chick Avatar

...ahhh, life is good.
    It's a pretty big mirror maybe try looking between the lines?
    I got to fiddle with one for 20-30 minutes today while the trainee took forever to write up my order (they were sold out, but by pre-paying, they'll have one shipped in Monday) and never once did "plasticky" enter my mind. Those losers at BGR in their bogus and harmful phony review threw that word out into the Intartoobz and the meme took.

The iPhone is one solid hunk of unmoving glass and plastic with no moving parts and - contributing most importantly to this feeling of solidness - NO BATTERY COVER meaning that while you're stuck with what Apple gave ya, it feels like an ingot. Nothing that has removable or moving parts is going to be able to compete in the Feel Olympics.

As for the mirror: y'all are kidding, right? Palm sticks a mirror in what would've been just blank space and if it's not as good as the mirror in the Hubble, it's a deal breaker?!? Methinks some people are just wanting to be unhappy for some reason.
    Last edited by DirkBelig; 06/06/2009 at 11:51 PM. Reason: forgot to write the last graf the first time
    I think that as long both devices are so different in their designs (the iPhone with no external moving parts and removable battery, whereas the Pre is the exact opposite), any comparison is almost useless.

The fact that the Pre lacks a glass face (not a bad thing in my opinion; notice how less smudge-
    friendly the Pre is compared to the iPhone) also should be considered.

These differences, again in my opinion, also make the Pre a better device.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Has anyone expirenced the pre randomly shutting off in your pocket or when opening and closeing the keyboard? Also mine is somewhat loose and the back "mirror" is killing me with the scratch marks!! has anybody taken it back to sprint for a new one?
    The build quality is the most disappointing thing about the phone. However the software is great.

Two problems:
    1. Keyboard could be better... mostly in the tactile feel department.

2. Slider needs to be tighter when closed.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast