Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by neurocutie View Post
    I don't think Apple has anything to "worry" about... they now have some honest competition, which is a good thing. BUT... I will be quite disappointed, though not surprised, if Apple's response is litigation more than genuine product improvements. I *really* hope Apple does the "honorable thing" and compete in the market rather than the courtroom...

As far as being worried, I wonder if MS is the one who is worried, with HTC close behind... MS has been totally stagnant with WM -- WM6.1 is a smidgen of an improvement over WM5 from FOUR years ago -- ironic, much like PalmOS... And can MS really develop a competitive OS in time. WM 7 is a year away at best... will it really be competitive?

Its obvious that HTC has been worried... between doing its best to pretty up WM and branching out with Android. Indeed it may be Android that ultimately saves HTC, if MS tanks... (WM *is* losing market share)...
    If I were a betting man, I would bet on Palm will be brought out in the next 24 month. It has nothing to do with how well Pre would do in the market, it is because WebOS, (it is truly 3 years ahead of iPhone's OS) WebOS was, by the name, designed for the Web, where iPhone OS was much more music/media focused OS with an Internet access option...

One of the heavyweight will make an attractive offer that Palm can not refuse...

Just 2cents of my thought...
    Played w/ the Pre a little yesterday. It's very nice. I just can't get used to the keyboard though. I don't have big hands, but it's still too small for me. I don't understand why they couldn't add a dedicated number row.

Let's see what Apple can do w/ the new iPhone. If that fails to deliver as well then I'm waiting for the Touch Pro. 2.
    I like the Pre's keyboard, as well. It's simply amazing to read about complaints in this forum. I was having fun setting up and getting used to my Pre yesterday, so I didn't look at any posts here until last night.

Wow, I see a bunch of complaints about things I just don't see on mine. Mine only get warm when charging, the keyboard is very useable, I had one crash yesterday using Sprint TV...otherwise, I like this thing a lot and will be using it as my prime phone.

Those complaining about the lack of apps are short-sighted; geez, they'll come quickly, as will software updates.

I'm not sure Apple was or is worrying anyway. That's not how the business of these new breed of smartphones works; the pie is big enough for more than a few players. The Pre may actually help sell more iPhones, and the vice versa, just through more exposure to the marketplace.

I do get tired of contrived whining, though, about "bugs" that will be "disastrous" to a platform. This is a great piece of hardware and nice software that will get better quickly. My opinion, anyway.
    With the announcement of the Pre I had a small anxiety attack. I am at "that age" where change just does not come easily and the thought of learning another OS freaked me out (I have about 4 different ones I have to use at work). Plus my 70 yoa Mom loves her Centro and also "change" freaks her out.

So...I have a iPod touch (which I LOVE for e-reader and now Kindle app) so I figured...well...I will try some of the programs to see if iPhone will be the way to go when the Centro's die.

Hated it....Calender didn't work like I wanted, different apps to do what DateBk does all by itself....no Pocket Quicken...just wasn't gonna work.

Just thought I would add my 2 cents that I will be staying with Palm and learning a new OS when I have to. But still lovin my Touch for reading

Guess I should add that I have no desire to have internet on my phone. Guess I am old fashioned but I actually like not having EVERYTHING available ALL the time. Wi-Fi on the touch is enough for me
    Last edited by 2_meezers; 06/07/2009 at 08:21 AM. Reason: added stuff
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    I've yet to have any issues with my Pre. Keyboard is fine for me, and I'm coming from a Mogul. So far I'm very satisfied. Sure, there's room for improvement, but that was also the case with the iPhone. Software kinks will get worked out over time. And, at least for now, I'm not experiencing any hardware kinks.
    Quote Originally Posted by NutritionN View Post
    IIt's simply amazing to read about complaints in this forum.

Wow, I see a bunch of complaints about things I just don't see on mine. Mine only get warm when charging, the keyboard is very useable, I had one crash yesterday using Sprint TV...

Those complaining about the lack of apps are short-sighted; geez, they'll come quickly, as will software updates.
    Yippee! If these opinions happen to turn out to be true.

I do get tired of contrived whining, ...
    Would you say this contrived whining is akin to unproven cheerleading?

My opinion, anyway.
    And recognized as such - just as you should acknowledge others' opinions for what they are. There are no absolute "truths" here.
    I am very pleased with mine. One day and I have adjusted nicely to the keyboard. I have had an iphone and now a Pre. I like both but I hate ATT and love that you can save a crapload of money with a good old Sprint Everything Plan. The bickering between the hard core Palm and Apple fanboys is just like the partisan BS in politics. Stop whining and enjoy your device. Neither is perfect and if you like one more than the other, great! If you want to be a hater, then do us a favor and get some therapy. I have no problem with discussion of bugs and improvements that would make our favorite devices better but the tenor of the "debate" degenerates when personalities and egos get to bashing each other.
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    Pre for Phone
    Itouch for Media device

best of both worlds......
    Quote Originally Posted by prochobo View Post
    What made the iPhone successful was its marketing campaign.

I'm kinda glad the Pre isn't as heavily advertised because that means that more people "in the know" will be drawn to the Pre, and not the brainless "there's an app for that" idiots.
    But the flip side is less phones sold. They need MANY phones sold. If the phone doesn't appeal to the mainstream, they can't do that effectively. Techies alone are not enough to support it.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I have to day, got 2 pre's yesterday and I am in LOVE. I though palm was dead and I was gonna have to jump shipp, wife and IU have had palm devices since the 650. This phone is just amazing, keyboard takes a little to get used too, I would have the phone a little larger but heck, beggars can't be choosers.
  11. dpc
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    I don't think all the iPhone users are going to drop their phones and run to the Palm Pre. I just see enough space in the market for both.
    Guys, this isnt Palm vs Apple. Theres room for lots of different phones.
    I mostly agree that the hardware is not what I want. I guess I like the solid feel of the iphone and even my trreo 700wx for that matter so I will probably wait for the htc tp2 or some other phone. Web OS seems excellent though. I've been following this forum for a lonng time and it's just so personal what works for one person or not. I wanted to love the Pre but it doesn't seem to work for me so I'll try ro be patient and wait.
    Of course Apple has nothing to worry about.

It would not matter what the Pre was, or could have been. It could have had a 3Ghz processor, holographic display, 2 Gigs of memory and 10,000 apps at launch, 6 week battery life, and every feature you whiners were hoping it would have - and Apple would still have nothing to worry about.

Why? Because Palm phones will always be missing one thing: An Apple logo.

But that's exactly why I love the Pre.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    WE (educated users) all know what the Pre can do. But the truth is, Apple really doesnt have anything to worry about. Their target audience is not a Pre audience (in the big picture). Reason being...the iPhone appeals to the "kids", 9-21 yrs of age. alot of the older crowd is on blackberries or treo's as their smartphone of choice.

pre will NOT sell the number the iphone is pulling, and now that apple probably has their hands also on a few pre's, they can take the goodness of a pre, and be smart and incorporate it into the iphone.

with that said, i am still a pre lover. i think one thing that really attracts it to me is also the fact that it is NOT an iphone. i dont want to be part of "that" crowd, especially here in So Cal. LOVE MY PRE.
    Quote Originally Posted by publicid View Post
    If I were a betting man, I would bet on Palm will be brought out in the next 24 month. It has nothing to do with how well Pre would do in the market, it is because WebOS, (it is truly 3 years ahead of iPhone's OS) WebOS was, by the name, designed for the Web, where iPhone OS was much more music/media focused OS with an Internet access option...

One of the heavyweight will make an attractive offer that Palm can not refuse...
    Seems reasonable that at least offers and attempts will be made...

Of course the heaviest heavyweight that needs help is MS... though I don't know if they could swallow their pride enough to buy and adopt... buy to crush perhaps...

I'd love to see them try to retrofit the webOS UI on top of WinCE... much like they did with Hotmail when MS first bought it out (Hotmail was running on FreeBSD Unix when MS bought it. MS tried hard to port it to Windows Server... failed miserably... it took years and many iterations to get it to work well (and I think 5X as many machines to do the same job)). I'm sure they'll try to do the same thing with Yahoo, if they ever manage to buy Yahoo...

Apple, on the other hand, probably will play their patent litigation card first, before thinking about buying Palm...

So missing from your conjecture that Palm will be bought out is the prediction as to "for what purpose"... to gain webOS, or to destroy webOS...
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    Of course Apple has nothing to worry about.

It would not matter what the Pre was, or could have been. It could have had a 3Ghz processor, holographic display, 2 Gigs of memory and 10,000 apps at launch, 6 week battery life, and every feature you whiners were hoping it would have - and Apple would still have nothing to worry about.

Why? Because Palm phones will always be missing one thing: An Apple logo.

But that's exactly why I love the Pre.
    If thats exactly why you love the Pre (because its not an Apple product) then you got some issues man.

BTW, not every Apple product has to belong to a fanboy you know. Why not try using a Mac with OS X for a while so you actually have some basis to know what you're talking about & quit your hating. Really, what you're doing is no better than the fanboys on the other side.

For the record, I dont have an iPhone, iPod, etc. Just saying.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    We get it, you don't like the thing. You don't need to make 50 posts to say so.
    Of course he does. It's his job.
    i teach middle school... i'm pretty sure that the person who started this thread is young.... 12-14...

Not to mention the fact that he didnt say any reasons why the iPhone was better....
    palm m103 > palm m130 > palm TlX > 755p > PRE (FINALLY!!!!)
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    Palm is smoking ganja they don't add simple things such as forward texting wtf?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast