Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567
Results 121 to 140 of 140
  1. #121  
    Quote Originally Posted by nojok3 View Post
    Again I'm not a fan of 'leaving out features' so that they can add them
    No but the whole thing is in recent memory....Mobile OSX, WebOS and Android are the new kids on the block.


    ALL OF THEM HAVE HAD GROWING PAINS.

    If you were not prepared to live the life with a 1.0 device...bottom line, you shouldn't have gotten a Pre.

    For less than 2 months....i think Palm is doing excellent with making sure WebOS can continue competing.
  2. nhavar's Avatar
    Posts
    285 Posts
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    #122  
    count me in the category of not getting all the fuss around messaging.

    Forwarding
    Timestamps
    Signatures
    Emoticons
    Character count
    Picture sizing
    Separate conversation cards

    It all just sounds like useless fluff to me. The Pre shows me a list of conversations that I can interact with, it shows me a general time when the conversation happened, and it shows me how many messages my current response will be cut into should I go over the character limit. Why would I need to know that the 5th message I got in a conversation with Terry happened at 5:05PM versus that I had a conversation with Terry around 5:00PM today. It just doesn't seem useful to have that information.

    Maybe if someone could detail out a little better the use cases behind all of those feature requests.

    As a [role] I need to [action] in order to [accomplishment/value]

    So far I've only heard one person express this

    "As a network admin I need to forward texts via e-mail in order to acknowledge receipt of the issue."

    Other than that I haven't heard any justifications except "because my buddy has it" or "because my old phone did" and "It's not 2004 anymore". But those aren't value statements.
  3. #123  
    I am just mad because we physically have to slide the keyboard out to use it. why didn't palm include a button that automatically shoots it out? WHY PALM WHY
    Prē *********♥
    1Ghz
    Pixi *********♥
    Patched up
    (Gone)
    Now on a Samsung Epic
    *Creator of the best thread on precentral*

    RIP

  4. #124  
    Quote Originally Posted by DougB541 View Post
    I think i may be the only person on this forum who has never used text forwarding.

    ::shurgs::
    No, you're not.
  5. #125  
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    No, you're not.
    You two probably dont go out with groups of people. very very useful.
  6. #126  
    Quote Originally Posted by glamisfanatic View Post
    I am just mad because we physically have to slide the keyboard out to use it. why didn't palm include a button that automatically shoots it out? WHY PALM WHY
    Just a basic feature too. I just don't understand.
  7. #127  
    I have never forwarded a text message in my life. I feel I sit in the majority which is why Palm left it out for now.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
  8. #128  
    Definitely need:

    1) the forwarding...if you do a lot of texting, you're often going to need to forward previously sent texts. you can't even copy/paste in the short-term. I think they had to make a decision on what got left out just to make their code drop date and that's probably why it's not there yet.

    2) limitation on how much gets sent/received in a single text. On my windows mobile phone, I could send a text over 160 characters, like say 300 characters, and it would be sent to a person as one message as one full text...as long as their phone could also receive it in one full text. So they would get 1 message delivered with all 300 characters. Similarly, i could receive the message as one full message of 300 characters and not have it broken up into several messages coming through. Now, everything I send or receive over 160 goes/comes in several different pieces. This will also be a PITA when we can forward because I'll have to select over multiple messages to make one text. Keep in mind that for some of us that have texts in the thousands, it's not just that we send individual messages, but that many of our messages are so many characters that they naturally break into several because of th 160 limit.

    3) copy and paste!! uggh.
    Waynew73

    (m105 => IIIxe => VIIx =>Tungsten T => i705 => Treo 600 => T-MO MDA => HTC Tytn = HTC Tilt & T-MO Dash => HTC TouchPro & HTC S740 => Palm Pre)
    Man, I've spent a lot of money and time on these things!!
  9. klbjr's Avatar
    Posts
    75 Posts
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    #129  
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    I have never forwarded a text message in my life. I feel I sit in the majority which is why Palm left it out for now.
    Well I have three things to say to that:

    1. You are not even close to the majority.
    2. Palm left it out for the same reason it left out a ton of other stuff.
    3. How is it 2009 and you have never forwarded a text??? Maybe it's time to get a life and some friends!
  10. #130  
    Quote Originally Posted by cookedart View Post
    My only problem with the Messaging app is that conversations don't open up in different cards per person.
    I believe there's a hack for that.
    Patch Messaging New Cards For Each Conversation - WebOS Internals
  11. #131  
    Quote Originally Posted by DougB541 View Post
    No but the whole thing is in recent memory....Mobile OSX, WebOS and Android are the new kids on the block.


    ALL OF THEM HAVE HAD GROWING PAINS.

    If you were not prepared to live the life with a 1.0 device...bottom line, you shouldn't have gotten a Pre.

    For less than 2 months....i think Palm is doing excellent with making sure WebOS can continue competing.
    DougB541, Please, start a new thread with this.
    Mods, please make it a sticky.
    It will make responding to many many messages so much easier...
  12. #132  
    Quote Originally Posted by cookedart View Post
    My only problem with the Messaging app is that conversations don't open up in different cards per person.
    +3. And no I am not hacking my phone.
  13. #133  
    Quote Originally Posted by waynew73 View Post
    Definitely need:
    ...
    2) limitation on how much gets sent/received in a single text. On my windows mobile phone, I could send a text over 160 characters, like say 300 characters, and it would be sent to a person as one message as one full text...as long as their phone could also receive it in one full text. So they would get 1 message delivered with all 300 characters. Similarly, i could receive the message as one full message of 300 characters and not have it broken up into several messages coming through. Now, everything I send or receive over 160 goes/comes in several different pieces.
    ...
    Are you sure the WinMo worked this way? My understanding has always been that the 160 character limit was an SMS limitation, not a platform issue.

    After looking at this some more, maybe it's a GSM issue. What carrier were you using?
  14. #134  
    there are emoticons.
  15. #135  
    It's 160 characters. period. I had a winmo phone, It formatted it in a way that it both appeared to send and receive it as one message. But for everyone else if it's over 160 characters it's two separate messages.

    Not a Palm Pre issue.
  16. #136  
    It could be considered a Palm Pre issue in that the Pre does not combine the received messages into one if they are received at almost the same time. Maybe it's just not possible or practical due to the fact that sometimes messages arrive out of order.
  17. #137  
    Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    It's 160 characters. period. I had a winmo phone, It formatted it in a way that it both appeared to send and receive it as one message. But for everyone else if it's over 160 characters it's two separate messages.

    Not a Palm Pre issue.
    I find that interesting.

    So, basically WinMo takes the two seperate issues, and the SMS client recognizes that they are part 1 and part 2 of the same message, then puts them back together?

    If so, I'm impressed. And not much about WinMo really impresses me....

    How much is the Treo Pro going for these days?
  18. #138  
    Quote Originally Posted by jrstinkfish View Post
    It could be considered a Palm Pre issue in that the Pre does not combine the received messages into one if they are received at almost the same time. Maybe it's just not possible or practical due to the fact that sometimes messages arrive out of order.
    Ahhh, OK, now there's something to wonder about. What would the client app do if the messages came out of order. What if one message didn't come through (for tech reasons) until 20-30 minutes after the first. Would the client app be programmed to look for "part 1" in the header, and wait for all the parts? Would delaying the whole message for the second part be worth waiting. If it didn't work that way, would it confuse users to have them come formatted "properly" sometimes, but not others?

    Additionally, I wonder how many people that were not on unlimited plans were getting charged .10, .20, or more for what they thought was a "single text message"...

    Maybe leaving the client with the restrictions of the underlying technology is a better idea after all...

    I'm glad, I really didn't want to give up my Pre for a Treo.
  19. #139  
    You can easily fix all of those by using Quick Install. Easy to apply also!!!!
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
  20. #140  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I find that interesting.

    So, basically WinMo takes the two seperate issues, and the SMS client recognizes that they are part 1 and part 2 of the same message, then puts them back together?

    If so, I'm impressed. And not much about WinMo really impresses me....

    How much is the Treo Pro going for these days?
    i don't think native windows mobile does it on it's own. every HTC windows phone I've had would allow the message to be composed as 1 message but then it breaks it upon sending. that feature was not present on the Treo 700wx but that device isn't exactly new so unless Microsoft made it part of windows mobile 6 not every WinMo phone does it.
    now as for putting it back together it doesn't do it. again this is from my experience with HTCs as I can't speak for current models from any other company. the device will recognize the difference between message 1/2 and 2/2 and it will label it as such so when i receive 2/2 first i know to wait but the messages still come in separately and when reading in the thread they are separate and the thread leaves it in the order in which they arrived so if 2/2 shows up first you have to read up the thread to read the messages properly.

    thanks for reading i know i'm long winded but hopefully this answers some things about windows mobile
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567

Posting Permissions