Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by barrysanders20 View Post
    There are emoticons/ smileys. You have to hit "sym" and scroll to the bottom. There's only three though. There's a smile, frown, and a wink.
    Oh i'll have to check that out - but I meant the 16 graphical smiles with Treos
    But wait, there's more.

If you have texts from contact A, and texts from contact B, and then accidentally "link this profile" in the contacts list, the two get merged into one contact thread. And that's fine.

Now if you realize that Jennifer A and Jennifer B are two different people and think "damn, let me unlink them", the contact history remains merged.
    Global Posts
    190 Global Posts
    You guys do realize that your cartoon :-) is just made from a : a - and a ) right? And just because you see them in "cartoon" mode, doesnt mean the person sending them does.
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    while I agree with a lot of the problems with text messaging you dont need to close it if you're having multiple conversations. Just click on the notification at the bottom of the screen to go to the latest message.
    I agree with the lack of these features. I don't think we need an inbox. In winmbo 6.1 is pretty similar, you see the name of the last person and their last text or ur last text to them same as pre.

Now I would get mad if they aren't working on our complaints. I understand new OS you don't get everything the first time around. but If they don't update oru phones and jsut save it for next phone like apple does. It would be a problem. As most of us are kinda stuck with this phone for two yours. Constant updates would make us happy. We won't leave and support your app catalog.
    Quote Originally Posted by thedarkharlequin View Post
    my main problem with this is that you can't have the messages in multiple cards. every conversation is stuffed away inside the messaging. seriously inconvenient if you have multiple sms/im conversations going at once
    Quote Originally Posted by ImmaSlave4U View Post
    No Fwd, no timestamp, no spell check. They had to have been conscious while making these decisions. But WHY did they?

That wasn't true for me. I just sent my friend, who is on Verizon, a pic of the default background on the Pre. He got it.

I so agree! I power text several of my friends and have found it to be very inconvenient to have multiple conversations going and having to close out and re-open messaging every time. My Instinct handled messaging better.

Those are not emoticons. This is an emoticon:
    To juggle multiple conversation, swipe back in the gesture area to see all active conversations. The notifications also will take you directly to each conversation as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Esprit9 View Post
    Just noticed sending pics with texting does not work.. You can send them... but the receiver cannot see them. Also can't download any pics from web email... Boy I really hope things change soon...
    they work fine for me, the only issue is on the other persons phone, the picts are too big and too high of resolution for my other half to see the pict right on her phone, all she can see is the yop left corner of the pict. but thats not compleatly a [re issue, its not our falt that there phone can view picts that big, but it would be nice if we could change the resolution of the picts on our side so we could send the picts to those people sho cant view picts this size
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    If you are viewing a text conversation and use the back gesture it takes you to the list of all current text/IM conversations. So to me you don't really have to "close out and re-open messaging every time".

I did love spell check on my BlackBerry and having emoticons for Google Talk for BB. Hopefully this stuff will be added with future OTA updates.
    Great additional examples of awesome things that I had on my Treo five years ago that didn't find their way into the WebOS. Frankly, I am disappointed.
    IIIx -> Tungsten T -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Launch day Pre
    Global Posts
    238 Global Posts
    Is it possible to send a pic mail with text only? I could do it with my old phone and I used it quite a bit. That way you can have 1000 characters instead of the 126 or whatever the limit is in a normal text message. If I select a pic, add text, then delete the pic, it reverts to normal text messages and divides the text into dif messages if it's long.
    i understand that you can only highlight/copy/paste "editable" text and not text on a web page or in a text that was sent to you, but i cant even figure THAT out! im in an open text message, where i type a sting of letters and im trying everything i can think of to get it to highlight and i cant get it to work. i think i missed the instructions on this but its driving me crazy.. help? thanks!
    I agree there are features missing from the Pre that other 'smart' and 'dumb' phones already have. Forwarding, a better history, predictive text... etc. I would expect we'll see something in a future update that corrects these issues.

One thing I'd add to the 'wish-list' of features in the messaging app is the ability to turn of 'Enter' as the send button. Maybe I just have big, clumsy fingers, but I've had quite a few texts that ended short and had to be followed-up with a second message to say 'err... what I mean is..'

Just my $0.02.
    Quote Originally Posted by retsamhgiht View Post
    But wait, there's more.

If you have texts from contact A, and texts from contact B, and then accidentally "link this profile" in the contacts list, the two get merged into one contact thread. And that's fine.

Now if you realize that Jennifer A and Jennifer B are two different people and think "damn, let me unlink them", the contact history remains merged.
    receive another message from either Jennifer and it'll update
    Quote Originally Posted by wessock View Post
    Is it possible to send a pic mail with text only? I could do it with my old phone and I used it quite a bit. That way you can have 1000 characters instead of the 126 or whatever the limit is in a normal text message. If I select a pic, add text, then delete the pic, it reverts to normal text messages and divides the text into dif messages if it's long.
    No, if there is no picture then the message is an SMS text message and will be segmented on send into the number of messages indicated by the badge on the send button.
    Quote Originally Posted by themorningsleeve View Post
    i understand that you can only highlight/copy/paste "editable" text and not text on a web page or in a text that was sent to you, but i cant even figure THAT out! im in an open text message, where i type a sting of letters and im trying everything i can think of to get it to highlight and i cant get it to work. i think i missed the instructions on this but its driving me crazy.. help? thanks!
    1) hold shift then swipe left, right, up or down on the screen to select the text
    2) hold a finger in the gesture area and press C or alternately, tap in the upper left to get to the Menu > Copy
    3) hold a finger in the gesture area and press V or alternately, tap in the upper left to get to the Menu > Paste
    Quote Originally Posted by noto220 View Post
    I cant believe they don't add simple things such as forwarding text options to this phone.
    They weren't ready, they had to beat apple to the punch, give it a few months for updates.
    Please let me know if the following issues are w/ me or the Pre's lack of:

* Doesn't FWD basic txt messages
    * Doesn't have a page where one can see txt mess. inbox/sent/draft/etc..
    * Can't change ringtone for txt messages
    * No "Delete All" / "Delete only Outgoing"/ etc...

My 2004 Krazer cell phone has all this... It MUST be me right? Searched and cannot find answers to the above.

Thanks in advance,

Ed-
    I'm looking for the same information. Particularly the ability to change the 'ringtone' or 'notification sound' for text messages. If you are not right near your phone, you'd miss it. The current tone is very low.
    Just noticed sending pics with texting does not work.. You can send them... but the receiver cannot see them. Also can't download any pics from web email... Boy I really hope things change soon...
    Works fine for me. I spent last night sending pics to my gf's new Pre, one friend's Treo 755p and another friend's Blackberry. They all got the pics.

I actually really like the way it's handled. Clicking the paper clip icon lets me add an existing photo or take a new one and attach it. Very simple and effective. WM lets you do the same thing but it was slower and less obvious.
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    I just wish they had a 160 character counter
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff_b View Post
    I just wish they had a 160 character counter
    No need really. The Pre will break up the message into multiple SMS texts, and then the receiving phone (if it's relatively new) will automatically concatenate the multiple messages.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast