1.    #1  
    This should be the headlines. The radical evolution embodied in the Pre has created a beautiful device. If you want better surfing, it is incredible. I picked mine up this morning.

Already I am mourning the supply of styli I have accumulated over the years. For all the good things about this phone, I am amazed that Palm would assume that everyone wants to sync their contacts over the ethernet. The best syncing software for those who prefer the Palm Desktop is CompanionLink which runs $49. For those of us who have dutifully purchased Palm add on software from Palm over the years, we have to spend another $29 just to get a partly developed program to salvage some of the Plam OS programs we have come to love. From my reading, Classic will not work with Stylus based programs.

It would have been nice if Palm had chosen to throw a bone or two to the long term supporters who helped make Palm great. If third party developers can do it, why can't Palm? For long term Palm users, the sense of loss is overwhelming. For those new to Palm who have no expectations from prior Palm Phones, the joy of the Pre will be hard to resist.
    They made a business move to pursue the fat middle.

It was either that or die.

For a traditionally non-palm user (except for my wife's Centro), the level of support they are offering for the transition is pretty damn incredible, in my opinion.
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    So ...

You're speaking as if Palm has abandoned us all. I love the new device, for it's potential.

/thanks for not speaking FOR ME
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    I did like the old Palm units as well but Palm must change with the times or die. Did you watch their stock prices before the Pre was announced? If they hadn't done something they would be gone sooner or later.

The Pre isn't perfect but it's a darn good start. Sure I have issues but overall I'm quite pleased and look forward to see what Palm has planned for the future.
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by advocate2 View Post
    It would have been nice if Palm had chosen to throw a bone or two to the long term supporters who helped make Palm great. If third party developers can do it, why can't Palm? For long term Palm users, the sense of loss is overwhelming.
    Thanks for the tip on software to ease the transition!

With the Pre, Palm has tracked out a path for how to work with data that they think is the way of the future. That doesn't mean it will remain the only way to work but it's their overall direction. Third-party software and Palm updates will undoubtedly come soon to address many of what we see now as deficiencies.

As a long-term Palm "supporter", I feel it's important to balance my desire for something new with realistic expectations of what Palm can and should be accomplishing. A year ago I was deeply worried about Palm's future. Today I am quite optimistic as I look upon the dawn of their industry-leading product line.

WebOS 1.0.2 isn't going to meet all of my needs without some adjustment to how I work with my data. But in the meantime, I get to enjoy one of the most innovative technologies ever, brought to me by one of my favorite companies. I would rather make the initial adjustment than wish for an alternate scenario where Palm got too ambitious and failed. Goodness knows they've been down that road before and it was not a happy time.
    This should be the headlines. The radical evolution embodied in the Pre has created a beautiful device. If you want better surfing, it is incredible. I picked mine up this morning.

Already I am mourning the supply of styli I have accumulated over the years.
    One thing I'll miss? Is never being without a pen, as long as I had my phone.

It would have been nice if Palm had chosen to throw a bone or two to the long term supporters who helped make Palm great. If third party developers can do it, why can't Palm? For long term Palm users, the sense of loss is overwhelming. For those new to Palm who have no expectations from prior Palm Phones, the joy of the Pre will be hard to resist.
    Well... it's not hard to see why they let third-party developers do it. That makes any problems or complications SEP - someone else's problem. And if you've been following this and other fora, you know well that Palm's not exactly been a leading contender for a few years now. There are only so many programming hours in a day...

Having seen how platforms evolve, whether we're talking console game systems or desktop computers, in the main the long-term legacy app support we got from the PalmOS is unusual. All good things must come to an end, even MASH stopped making new episodes.
    Garnet should have been dead literally 5 years ago!

Move on!
    Quote Originally Posted by rposa View Post
    I love the new device, for it's potential.
    TRANSLATION: Sure it's a big step backward from previous Palm's, but it might get better someday.
    Translation of this thread....

Palm is a company of the future now not of the past.... People will always get frustrated with change but online lifestyle is the future....

Thanks for the progressive philosophy palm... and thanks for getting us out of the old folks home and back in the game...
    palm m103 > palm m130 > palm TlX > 755p > PRE (FINALLY!!!!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Anderson View Post
    Garnet should have been dead literally 5 years ago!

Move on!
    That says it all.... Web OS is at least 5 years over due.... See engadgets open letter to palm....
    palm m103 > palm m130 > palm TlX > 755p > PRE (FINALLY!!!!)
    Keep in mind that Palm no longer owns PalmOS. Access does. To really develop the newest features, Palm had to re-invent the wheel.
    It seems that they abandoned a lot of staples. I have only ever owned palm treo's for cell phones since 2001. i have been dreaming about this phone for the last 6 months! So yes there are tons of positives, but for those that really want to hear more info on what might be some negatives... Here are my thoughts after playing with one today and deciding to stick with my centro a while...
    1. no one handed usability... you have to use two hands
    2. no two hand usability without having to move one of those hands
    -They got rid of the drop down menu button and 4 way arrow key...now you have to touch the screen for everything
    -drop down menu button would be way more convenient then having to try to tap the tiny upper left hand corner
    3. no touch and drag to highlight, you have to hold the shift key
    3. Categories!!!!!! one of the biggest hurts is that now the calendar is colored depending on different calendars.... not by activity. My palm calendar and my google calendar are colored by type of activity (appointment, work, personal). You can't make memo categories and you can't make contact categories.
    4. the apps are very... touchy- I kept dialing a contact (or selecting "things" within the card) because all i was trying to do was enlarge the contact screen but i happened to tap where a number was... so it started dialing. When the cards are small it's going to be hard to tap it in such a way to bring it up and not touch a number (i know i can use the button... i'm just saying), and it auto dials.... this is a double edged sword i think i would personally rather have it bring up the phone and i had to hit dial
    5. not very loud, seriously i was in the sprint store with 2 associates and 3 customers and i could barely hear the ring tone as it was in my hand
    6. not being able to adjust message alerts- again...one thing i always loved about treos was the ease of personalizing/customizing/preference choice, what ever you want to call it.
    7. no SD slot.... sigh... how i did love my 8gb cards of music and movies

these are a few from playing with it for 20 minutes. I'm not whining, I just know these are things I wanted to know about, and there's so much positive word going around i'd rather know the negatives and be prepared for them. i'm sure eventually i'll get one... maybe version 2... but not yet (the browser and OS are pretty amazing though! very fast and a lot of fun moving around different "cards")
    I've got many problems with my pre, but burying Garnet is not one of them. Palm spend TOO MUCH TIME on backward-compability and it SEVERELY DELAYED the creation of WebOS.

Yes, they could have done more work to have more key partners at launch with data transfers to new apps. Yes, they could have had Motionapps for free. BUT, it was long overdue to draw a line in the sand and bury a wonderful OS which has outlived its primary uniqueness and was getting KILLED in the marketplace.

That said, Palm has focused far to much on the OS and the Hardware and forgotten people want their devices to DO SOMETHING!!!
    Global Posts
    198 Global Posts
    I heard the Treo Pro is for sale.
    Phone: 700p > Pre
    PMP: Archos 605 (30GB) and iPod Touch (16GB)