Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    I found this link that may help you to find out when your Palm was made. This may help in determining if there are bad/good batches of Pre. This method was used for older Palms, it may or may not work for Pre. I do not have a Pre to test it on, too poor.

The link is in my next post below because this is post #9 for me (need ten to post)
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Here is the link to the web site that tells you how to figure out the date, there is also a tool to do the decoding for you.

Finding out when your Palm was built -> TamsPalm
    5V9... so, May 31, 2009. Wow, a week ago. Crazy.

In any case, for reference I am one of the people having the heat and screen distortion issues. Can someone who has not had these issues chime in?
    5P9 - May 25th 2009.
    My new one has been good, I am getting a slight screen distortion though. The 1st one was bad. I had bad pixels, crashes, sluggish, and screen distortion. I wish I had written down the serial number.

Heavyt, thanks for the info.
    Mine is 519, so I'm assuming May 1st, 2009. I dont notice any distortion issues and only heat issues I have is when it's charging on the touchstone charger, it will get pretty warm.
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Mine is 5W9, if V is 31, what would W be???
    Overtime shift.
    Global Posts
    519 Global Posts
    Mine is 5Y9. What day is Y?
    Are you having the heat issues tigagreen? Or Tikerz?
    Global Posts
    519 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dookie View Post
    Are you having the heat issues tigagreen? Or Tikerz?
    The back gets hot from charging on the Touchstone. It also got really hot after watching a 10 minute YouTube video.
    Global Posts
    408 Global Posts
    same here 5Y9, what's Y?

And not I'm not having any of the problems in the screen other then dead pixels
    I'm assuming 5Y9 is an extension of May 31st. Maybe they started that particular manufacturing run on the 31st, but due to extreme demand continued on that single run for three days. So since it was technically part of the same run, instead of making a new date for it, they added it to the May 31st date. Maybe? I don't know, just speculation.
    dumb question...theres so many numbers on the box...which are yall referring to?
    Global Posts
    519 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by abarrera View Post
    dumb question...theres so many numbers on the box...which are yall referring to?
    On the phone, just go to Device Info and it shows the serial number.
    ahh ok thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikerz View Post
    On the phone, just go to Device Info and it shows the serial number.
    D'oh! I popped the battery out to look at mine. I guess that probably would have been easier.
    5V9... so, May 31, 2009. Wow, a week ago. Crazy.

In any case, for reference I am one of the people having the heat and screen distortion issues. Can someone who has not had these issues chime in?
    5V9 here also. No heat (other than when it's on the TS) or screen issues.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Mine is 5t9 May 29th, 2009, and it has about 5 or so dead pixels, 2 very noticeable on the edges and 3 around the middle that are not as discolored.

I'm assuming 5Y9 is an extension of May 31st. Maybe they started that particular manufacturing run on the 31st, but due to extreme demand continued on that single run for three days. So since it was technically part of the same run, instead of making a new date for it, they added it to the May 31st date. Maybe? I don't know, just speculation.
    Quote Originally Posted by premarkable View Post
    5V9 here also. No heat (other than when it's on the TS) or screen issues.
    Interesting. So maybe the build date has little to do with quality/build issues.

I really wish we could get some kind of official word from Palm on these problems. I understand they don't want to tarnish their launch, but at least some kind of acknowledgment that they're looking into it would be appreciated.
    5R9 - 5/27/09. 1 dead pixel and 1 area where it looks like a circular arrangement of pixels were squashed. Cloud around the bottom and top left corners.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast