Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm just not having a good experience with the calendar... I've got duplicate events and the thing takes forever to advance days. Is anyone else's calendar unusable, or is it just me??

And after advancing a day in calendar the next day appears a little gray (reminds me of pre-loaded images in photo album) and then it comes in... a while later.
    Quote Originally Posted by bzinestudios View Post
    I'm just not having a good experience with the calendar... I've got duplicate events and the thing takes forever to advance days. Is anyone else's calendar unusable, or is it just me??

And after advancing a day in calendar the next day appears a little gray (reminds me of pre-loaded images in photo album) and then it comes in... a while later.
    I just played with one about an hour ago and noticed this issue. I gave up on the App and just went on to something else after waiting 10 seconds to load up. I'm wondering if the device was just in need of a reboot.
    Agreed.

I tried to load ten years worth of events and it choked and never completed. Yeah, that sounds like a lot, but they were off of my Treo, which could load those events on a hard reset in well under a minute.

Thus, I wiped my events and started over...with perhaps only two dozen events on the newly created calendar...and switching between days is still g-l-a-c-i-a-l.

My Treo could switch days as fast as you could click. This thing appears to be taking a network hop each time you switch days. Man, they really need to pull down appts for a week on either side of the current day in the background.
    IIIx -> Tungsten T -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Launch day Pre
    Unusable at this point, horrible. Hoping it is just setting up for the first day.
    I loaded in 10 years worth of dates. Not sure if this impacts it or not - but it is sloooowww.
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    It also took me a very long time but I think at least half of it was me and the TX to phone to Google thing. The phone never seemed to say it was doing anything - like a progress thing. I went to the Google calendar and figured it failed. Then poof like 15 min later there was my calendar online.
    This is the hardest part for me - weaning away form the familiar PalmTX/Palm desktop sync but I am hanging in there so far. Palm TX seemed to rely heavily on 3rd party apps and I can see where this may be the case still.
    I never had a Treo so I have no idae what Palm did in phones.
    Mine is very slow to load and I've got nothing on it. I've been playing the "which phone is faster" game with my instinct-owning friend and I'm getting seriously embarrassed.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    As a data point, I've got maybe 3 or 4 years of data on my calendar and it's not slow at all. I wouldn't call it lightning fast by any means, but I also wouldn't say it's slow.
    I am disappointed by the Calendar as well. Sluggish to flip between days/weeks/months, etc. Very hard to figure out what events are coming up...

Also, I noticed that the import of some repeating Treo events did not go well - calendar events that rely on knowing the particular week of a month (e.g., Thanksgiving is the last Thursday in Nov), ended up in random locations in the calendar.
    --
    Palm Pilot - Palm III - Palm V - Sprint Treo 600 - Treo 650 - Treo 755p - Pre - 2.1.0 Pre w/ Uberkernel
    Sinclair 1000 - Apple ][+ - C64 - Apple //e - PowerBook 100 - Mac SE - Dell PC - Acer AspireOne - 11" MacBook Air
    Calendar app is kinda slow for me too compared to everything else. Sluggish to do much of any action.
    VERY slow..
    Calendar was slow for me as well. When I disabled many of my public google calendars and now the calendar is much more responsive (I have exchange, gmail, & facebook calendars).
    Quote Originally Posted by scuba_steve View Post
    Thus, I wiped my events and started over...with perhaps only two dozen events on the newly created calendar...and switching between days is still g-l-a-c-i-a-l.
    I did the same (my original calendar wasn't as old, but still had about 6 years worth of data. I started from scratch (using Google Calendar this time) and the Pre's calendar doesn't feel much faster.

Another thing the Pre's calendar bugs me is how it treats un-timed events. I have several throughout the month and it groups them at the top. Also, I can't seem to get the "accordion" effect with free time slots (>2hrs).
    My Treo could switch days as fast as you could click. This thing appears to be taking a network hop each time you switch days. Man, they really need to pull down appts for a week on either side of the current day in the background.
    In the old Palm OS (POS ) the calendar, memo, task and phone apps were lightning fast. I can't say the rest ("Blazer" is anything but and depending on the app you loaded, if you looked at the thing funny, it would reset itself, but I digress), but on the Pre, please Palm, finish this thing and tie it up now, you can't tell anyone this thing is finished.

Is there a bug report for Palm? Seriously, with so many reproduceable errors/bugs, I only hope they're being addressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Minsc View Post
    As a data point, I've got maybe 3 or 4 years of data on my calendar and it's not slow at all. I wouldn't call it lightning fast by any means, but I also wouldn't say it's slow.
    Switching from day to day (or month to month, depending on view) is nowhere as fast (or "effortless") as it felt under Palm OS. The worse if the on the Pre, it's totally unpredictable -it can take a second or five.

Say, is anyone having the warning "too many cards open" even after you close all your cards? I'll try the search, I'm sure someone (or a few ) created a thread on it.

Quote Originally Posted by treoKing View Post
    Calendar was slow for me as well. When I disabled many of my public google calendars and now the calendar is much more responsive (I have exchange, gmail, & facebook calendars).
    Hmmm, I should try that. Are you using Google Calendar as your default calendar and using it to update the Pre's calendar?
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    i also found it to be slow....and on the gmail side i had a lot of dupes...WTF...i would just like to sync it up with my outlook...please...
    Quote Originally Posted by Carioca_FL View Post
    Hmmm, I should try that. Are you using Google Calendar as your default calendar and using it to update the Pre's calendar?
    Yes. Google is my default. Works great now - though it does take a second or two sometimes when I goto next day.
    Is there a bug report for Palm? Seriously, with so many reproduceable errors/bugs, I only hope they're being addressed.
    I agree. Hopefully my Pre just needs some sleep like I do.
    I have duplicates too. In fact, unless I'm doing something wrong, since the duplicates are from the Palm profile, I'm not selecting it under the view calendar, only choosing Google (and Weather). However, when I do that, it doesn't let me create a new event! When tapping an open slot, it doesn't do a thing -unless I either enable "All calendars" or the "Palm Profile" calendar.

WTF? Can't I create a new event under the Google Calendar profile on the Pre?

\
    Quote Originally Posted by treoKing View Post
    Yes. Google is my default. Works great now - though it does take a second or two sometimes when I goto next day.
    See my post from just now -can you create a new event on the Pre when Google is your selected calendar?
    See my post from just now -can you create a new event on the Pre when Google is your selected calendar?
    Strange. I don't have that problem. I can create a new evet when all is selected or just google. I don't have the duplicate issue. Sprint wanted to transfer my addressbook after activation but I didn't let them. Maybe related.
    All my local store did was ring up my Pre and Touchstone to my account. I got to open the box and did the activation myself, while in the store. I did the Palm Desktop transfer on my own, at home.

I did notice that, despite the fact that it was said you could only do that synch once, it let me run a few times, with no error messages.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast