Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by htaras View Post
    I AM serious, Weaser. The first calendar entry gets in alright, but by the time everybody is seeking another date for another appointment and entering that, my Pre is still "thinking". Wish my device was as quick as yours. Like Stockh, I'm also looking into BBs. I'd feel better if Palm would come out with a statement acknowledging the problem and promising a fix-date. But all is too quiet from them and it's affecting my work.
    I couldn't agree more. The calendar is inexcusably slow and it has nothing to do with operator error. There's even a way to send a text message to my Google account, and it makes entries faster (and you even write them in normal syntax), but most appointments still have to be changed once they sync into the calendar because the texting method of entry puts them all in the default calendar with the default alarm lead time. Changing an appointment is almost as slow as creating one.

There's another good PreCentral thread about overall problems with the calendar here:

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...-calendar.html
    Yes, indeed, the calendar is way too slow for any business person to use. I sync to Google, and it is slow as molasses. I also sync to EAS, and it is even slower. When I enter a new event the Pre takes almost 30 seconds to "think" before I can enter the next event. Makes it pretty much worthless in meetings. I have tried everything mentioned in this thread and nothing consistently works. Bottom line, the Pre's calendar program is a piece of junk, it was probably written by someone who has no idea about optimization or the fact the people try to use these devices in real life.
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    That's why I went back to my trusty Centro yesterday. Why are Treos & Centros better PDA then the PRE? Yes, web, music, multitask are nice features but what about fast solid phone, contacts, cal, email, messaging apps? Where is my fast call log from where I can message back people? I can go on and on.. WAKE UP Palm, you invented the PDA, now bring back a device that business people can rely on again. Sorry, I had to vent. Thanks.
    Agreed, this is a major problem with the Pre thus far for me. I would rather loose half the 'elegant' OS movement in exchange for just quick moving apps. I used to use my calendar for everything (and I mean everything) when I had a Centro and other Palms. I've thought about getting out my Centro several times since moving to Pre. I think the Text Messaging system is also super slow in pulling up threads. UGH!
    Just loaded 1.2M and I am noticing a speed increase in the calendar. Anyone else?!
    Yes, the calendar in WebOS 1.2 is noticably faster. The speed is tolerable now (and it's been almost 24 hours since I rebooted after installing the upgrade) and I have a large number (100s) of calendar items.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Calendar is MUCH faster since I loaded WebOS 1.2.
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetgeek View Post
    Just loaded 1.2M and I am noticing a speed increase in the calendar. Anyone else?!
    Quote Originally Posted by RaleighPalm View Post
    Yes, the calendar in WebOS 1.2 is noticably faster. The speed is tolerable now (and it's been almost 24 hours since I rebooted after installing the upgrade) and I have a large number (100s) of calendar items.
    Quote Originally Posted by hnorman41 View Post
    Calendar is MUCH faster since I loaded WebOS 1.2.
    Yep. The calendar is noticeably faster since the 1.2/1.2.1 update but... it's still painfully slow compared to:

• Every previous Palm device ever (decade old technology)
    • Every RIM device
    • Every Apply device with a calendar

When I say "slow" I could be referring to the clumsy series of steps necessary to enter or reset an appointment (which is also a major flaw affecting speed) but I'm really just talking about plain old navigation of the Pre calendar.

A car with a top speed of 35mph updated to be able to now go 45mph is the prefect analogy. City drivers will be happy and everybody notices the speed improvement... problem is, I need to drive on the interstate!

-
    If you really really miss Palm's old calender.. you can get Classic. It runs the palm PIM apps faster than the older palm devices themselves including the calender.. it's instant.
    I agree.....the calendar is extremely disappointing. I tried classic.....but it is not full screen.
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    I was also having a poor experience with calendar, which took up to 30 seconds to open. That is what led me here. Based on what I read, I dug through my google calendar (~2 years, 200+ appointments). What I found was that my old WM phone had put a recurring all day birthday event for each of my contacts on April 5. This added up to 700 recurring events! Purging them has made a huge difference in the Pre calendar. It now open in a second. If you are having problems, dig through your old stuff, particularly looking at all day and recurring events. It took me an hour to fix, but was well worth it.
    Glad I read through to the end. I didn't notice it was an old thread and concerned me, as I'm 10 days away from a new (to me) Pre. I was thinking about staying away from Google calendar, which I'm setting up currently. Looks like whatever the problem was, might have been resolved as this is the first I've read. Take Care
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345