Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    An agenda screen wouldn't solve the slow and (for me) unusable calendar. But it would reduce the amount of times you need to open it because most of the time all you need are the next few events coming up.
    Quote Originally Posted by alyrocker View Post
    Just going to chime in and say that the Pre calendar is PAINFULLY RIDICULOUSLY and embarrasingly slow. I switched from a Centro thinking I'd become super-efficient but this is really taking its toll, as I refer to / add to / alter my calendar on an hourly basis.

If this doesn't get better before my 1 month "test drive" is up I am either going back to Centro (which seems truly pathetic) or jumping ship for an iPhone.

It's not going to get better before your month is up. However if your Calendar is a priority, I am not sure switching to the iPhone would be a good move. I think you would be better off with your Centro. If you don't want to return to a dead platform, your best option might be a Blackberry or possibly even a Treo Pro.
    Count me in the group of users who find the PIM functions of the Pre to be awful. Calendar is glacially slow - to the point of being unusable. Tasks is ridiculous: I can't set up recurring tasks? I can't set up individual alarms on tasks that I want to be notified about and not on others? Contacts is the only PIM app that's at almost the same level as it was in PalmOS.
    On one of the other threads I found that setting my Pre to AIRPLANE mode while working on my calendar speeds it up - it doesn't go and try to check all of the calendars online, and just uses what it has in memory. I tried it and found that it does go faster. In business meetings I use it like this. (and it cuts down on interrupting phone calls!)
    Quote Originally Posted by mu7efcer View Post
    Count me in the group of users who find the PIM functions of the Pre to be awful. Calendar is glacially slow - to the point of being unusable. Tasks is ridiculous: I can't set up recurring tasks? I can't set up individual alarms on tasks that I want to be notified about and not on others? Contacts is the only PIM app that's at almost the same level as it was in PalmOS.
    The PIM functionality of all these shiny new Smart Phone OSs (Android, WebOS, iPhone) are awful . Now Palm has taken PalmOS off the table you are left with Blackberry, Windows Mobile and possible Symbian if PIM functionality is important to you.
    The calendar BLOWS!

The busier you are... the worse it gets!

Is this supposed to be productivity software? It's a joke.
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ejohnnyk View Post
    The calendar BLOWS!

The busier you are... the worse it gets!

Is this supposed to be productivity software? It's a joke.
    agreed. The calendar needs a lot of improvements. No colors in month view, I really have no idea whats coming up unless I set a reminder or check my calendar daily. I'm coming from a blackberry which always had the first 4 upcoming items on my calendar on the home screen. I am hoping something for webOS comes out soon that is similar. Calendar is VERY slow on my end as well. Its difficult to input stuff when meeting times are being thrown at you. I find myself writing it down and then importing it onto the pre later on, which I prefer not to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by cpolism View Post
    agreed. The calendar needs a lot of improvements. No colors in month view, I really have no idea whats coming up unless I set a reminder or check my calendar daily. I'm coming from a blackberry which always had the first 4 upcoming items on my calendar on the home screen. I am hoping something for webOS comes out soon that is similar. Calendar is VERY slow on my end as well. Its difficult to input stuff when meeting times are being thrown at you. I find myself writing it down and then importing it onto the pre later on, which I prefer not to do.
    Yes! Palm blew it with the clean wallpaper "home screen."

I want to glance at the screen and be informed about my busy life. Instead, I get JUST THE TIME! Seriously?

So now I have to start the calendar app to find out what's going on today... and IT TAKES FOREVER to load.

I do leave the app open all day, but even then... scrolling through the week becomes a chore.
    It is slow, and until I can do a true search I keeping this app use to a minimum.
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    wasn't there something in the works at the beginning of this year when the phone is in locked mode and you see the time or the orange unlock slide key, it also showed a few of the upcoming calendar events? So when you unlock it doesn't show it, but when the phone is locked, you can just take a quick glance and off you go? If not, that would be a great addition to the phone yes?
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    I have noticed this slowness in the calendar more recently. Did it get worse with 1.1? I don't remember noticing the calendar being too slow before. But it's terrible now. I don't mind how it works if it just worked faster.
    The calendar IS truly PATHETIC. IF I needed it more, I'd switch to an iphone:

way slow, no search, inconsistent with color, doubled up appointments, no grouping, painfully slow entry, changing days takes an eternity, the list goes on and on.

My wife has Google Calendar on her Blackberry, which is awesome. I want one for the Pre ....

Wake up Palm, this is really unacceptable!!
    I rely heavily on the calendar and I love the synergy features (e.g. I can view my wife's calendar which is quite handy). However, the performance is truly miserable. I've seen several posts about archiving calendar appointments and reducing the number of events in order to speed it up. That's all well and good, but it should be fast regardless of how many events there are. This is just bad software design. I have about 600 events in my calendar, which I don't think is out of sight. The calendar app typically takes over 30 seconds to load (if it isn't already running). By way of comparison, my old Treo 700 takes less than half a second. Moving from one day to another is painful. And forget about changing the time of an event. Dragging appts is a nice feature, but then why does the screen take FOREVER to update? It's crazy.

Sorry to repeat some things that have already been said. I'm glad to know I'm not alone, and I sure hope someone at Palm is working on this. I also hope that they can significantly improve the calendar performance. Increasing the speed by 10-20% is not going to cut it. I realize it will probably never be on par with the Treo (which is really too bad), but at least make the darn thing usable before I lose my nerve and hurl the phone out the window (the thought has crossed my mind).

Here's to hoping Palm is actually listening to its users and not just to Sprint (and soon Verizon). I suspect my wireless carrier cares very little about the Calendar app since it's not a source of revenue. But this is a big dissatisfier for business users like me.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Throwing in some inside scoop while echoing some others thoughts. I was in a Sprint store last week and by chance ran into a Palm Brand Ambassador (no lie, that's what his name tag said) so I asked him some questions, one being "why is it taking 10-15 seconds to go from say, Tuesday to Wednesday"?

He recommended the Google calendar idea which has been mentioned. He made it sound like it was easy to do. Well...I just don't want to do it but I did see someone else mentioning that if you did the DTA several times on initial set-up like me (vladdddy=*****!), that you may have repeat events. I went in, day by day (all 365 of them), deleting those "in error" repeat events and now instead of it taking 10-15 seconds to go from Tuesday to Wednesday, it's only taking a second, maybe 2.

Is this *THEE* answer to speeding things up? Who knows, it does work for me though!

Vladdddy...
    To summarize what I've learned on this thread:
    * WebOS 1.1 seems to have made a remarkable improvement
    * If you did a DTA a couple times and have repeating events, delete the dups
    * No consensus on if removing old calendar events (unless they are REPEATING events) would help was really formed
    * People who are used to using a Treo, are going to be disappointed

I migrated to WebOS after 1.1 was released, so I never got to enjoy the pre 1.1 joys of the calendar, but even the 1.1 calendar is far too slow for me. It's radically changed how I use my calendar; I basically can't. With no search as an option, and flipping between days far too slow to do a search in the calendar myself; answering the question "When are we meeting with XYZ?" is impossible. *sigh* I can plug in events, and it will remind me. It's no longer a resource other than that.

What I did want to add to this thread other than the voice of another treo user pleading palm to speed this thing up is that it seems like in WebOS 1.1 they introduced a ~3 month cache to speed things up. Give it a try, go back a few months and pick a day. Hello <1.1 speeds (30+ seconds to load a day)! However once you get that one day loaded, you'll be able to switch between days at a pretty fast clip (2-3 seconds each).

Some people have recommended using Google Calendar Mobile to speed things up, and that may be a good recommendation for some people (I don't sync my calendar with google; and don't plan to). Unfortunately even google calendar mobile doesn't have a search

P.S. This platform has a ALOT more horsepower than my Treo 600; I know it can do better than this!
    Quote Originally Posted by leghk View Post
    To summarize what I've learned on this thread:
    * WebOS 1.1 seems to have made a remarkable improvement
    * If you did a DTA a couple times and have repeating events, delete the dups
    * No consensus on if removing old calendar events (unless they are REPEATING events) would help was really formed
    * People who are used to using a Treo, are going to be disappointed

I migrated to WebOS after 1.1 was released, so I never got to enjoy the pre 1.1 joys of the calendar, but even the 1.1 calendar is far too slow for me. It's radically changed how I use my calendar; I basically can't. With no search as an option, and flipping between days far too slow to do a search in the calendar myself; answering the question "When are we meeting with XYZ?" is impossible. *sigh* I can plug in events, and it will remind me. It's no longer a resource other than that.

What I did want to add to this thread other than the voice of another treo user pleading palm to speed this thing up is that it seems like in WebOS 1.1 they introduced a ~3 month cache to speed things up. Give it a try, go back a few months and pick a day. Hello <1.1 speeds (30+ seconds to load a day)! However once you get that one day loaded, you'll be able to switch between days at a pretty fast clip (2-3 seconds each).

Some people have recommended using Google Calendar Mobile to speed things up, and that may be a good recommendation for some people (I don't sync my calendar with google; and don't plan to). Unfortunately even google calendar mobile doesn't have a search

P.S. This platform has a ALOT more horsepower than my Treo 600; I know it can do better than this!
    Early reports from the 1.2 tests show improved speed in multiple applications, from the sound of the testers the os overall is quicker. It appears as though palm has made a lot code changes and cleaned up house. Also and I'm just spreading the love here, but it looks like LED notifications will be implemented shortly!!!
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Multiple people around our office conference table key in future meeting times into their Treos and Iphones and Blackberries. Not me. I have to write these down to key in later (because Palm Pre is too slow to keep up with the pace). This is probably the worst advertising for Palm Pre. Certainly no one around our conferece tables would ever consider one. This long lag in fixing this serious problem cannot help but take a very large toll on the Palm reputatoin.
    Any advice as to I should replace this Pre with, get as my "next-best" device, if this isn't corrected soon?
    You can't in real time put in meetings into your calender? You serious? I mean I know the calender is slower, but man.. I put in meetings all the time in mine.. I use it as my daytimer and really haven't had that many problems... put it into month view.. pick the day, tap the time and enter the info.. it isn't rocket science.
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by htaras View Post
    Multiple people around our office conference table key in future meeting times into their Treos and Iphones and Blackberries. Not me. I have to write these down to key in later (because Palm Pre is too slow to keep up with the pace). This is probably the worst advertising for Palm Pre. Certainly no one around our conferece tables would ever consider one. This long lag in fixing this serious problem cannot help but take a very large toll on the Palm reputatoin.
    Any advice as to I should replace this Pre with, get as my "next-best" device, if this isn't corrected soon?
    I know EXACTLY what you mean, the Pre is to slow to keep up in "real time" if trying to input appts and schedules on the fly. I'm trying to give Palm until the end of this year to straighten things out.

I'm starting a methodical if not anal search for a replacement if Palm doesn't come through, right now I'm thinking BB based on supposedly the best productivity app selection, instantaneous calendar navigation and one of the best one hand navigation layouts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    You can't in real time put in meetings into your calender? You serious? I mean I know the calender is slower, but man.. I put in meetings all the time in mine.. I use it as my daytimer and really haven't had that many problems... put it into month view.. pick the day, tap the time and enter the info.. it isn't rocket science.
    I AM serious, Weaser. The first calendar entry gets in alright, but by the time everybody is seeking another date for another appointment and entering that, my Pre is still "thinking". Wish my device was as quick as yours. Like Stockh, I'm also looking into BBs. I'd feel better if Palm would come out with a statement acknowledging the problem and promising a fix-date. But all is too quiet from them and it's affecting my work.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast