Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    I don't understand one thing. I've heard that Sprint can roam on Verizon for free. So if you can get the same reception as Verizon due to free roaming and it costs less, why would you want to be on Verizon instead of Sprint??
    If you roam over 50% of the time Sprint will tell you to find another carrier and cancel your account. Your data speed while roaming will be 1X, not 3X, and free Night & Weekends don't work while you are roaming.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    If you roam over 50% of the time Sprint will tell you to find another carrier and cancel your account. Your data speed while roaming will be 1X, not 3X, and free Night & Weekends don't work while you are roaming.
    Is this true?
    Quote Originally Posted by polochris View Post
    Is this true?
    That's what I have read. I think all carriers have that in their contract.

when you roam on verizon, you don't get evdo, just 1x
    Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rishio View Post
    I don't understand one thing. I've heard that Sprint can roam on Verizon for free. So if you can get the same reception as Verizon due to free roaming and it costs less, why would you want to be on Verizon instead of Sprint??
    You can use any tower that your phone will accept in the U.S. (Verizon, alltel, whatever).
    Quote Originally Posted by polochris View Post
    Is this true?
    Yes it is fairly accurate... there are some details missing, like, you cannot exceed roaming for 50% of your actual used airtime, regardless of how many plan minutes you have. Also I think it is integrated over at least 3 mos -- if you go over in just one month, it is supposedly ok. Also, for obvious reasons, even if you are calling another Sprint customer and would normally fall into the M2M bucket, if you're roaming, its charged against your AT bucket. Details like these...
    Quote Originally Posted by neurocutie View Post
    Yes it is fairly accurate... there are some details missing, like, you cannot exceed roaming for 50% of your actual used airtime, regardless of how many plan minutes you have. Also I think it is integrated over at least 3 mos -- if you go over in just one month, it is supposedly ok. Also, for obvious reasons, even if you are calling another Sprint customer and would normally fall into the M2M bucket, if you're roaming, its charged against your AT bucket. Details like these...
    Thank you for those extra details!

Quote Originally Posted by neurocutie View Post
    Hmm... I always had my Centro in force roaming mode when I was at home and they never gave me the boot. I guess it didn't account for 50% of my minutes... I am really going to miss that feature on the Pre. I have already had a couple of dropped calls at home. I don't want to pay for the airave after 24 months (I got it free and it is shipping soon but only for 24 months).
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    I am aware for sure that before the acquisition of Altel to Verizon, Sprint had a roaming contract with Altel that allowed EVDO at full speed while roaming and only Altel, all other roaming partners only had 1XRTT roaming. Now that it is post merge I am not entirely sure if Verizon will honor the contract that Altel had with Sprint.
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    Interesting.. So if you are driving around town and the phone roams without you knowing it - sprint could boot you off their network? I find that strange! Maybe I don't understand this properly - I've never used sprint before.. will likely soon since I'm very interested in switching from the iPhone to the Pre!
    Interesting.. So if you are driving around town and the phone roams without you knowing it - sprint could boot you off their network? I find that strange! Maybe I don't understand this properly - I've never used sprint before.. will likely soon since I'm very interested in switching from the iPhone to the Pre!
    I find that strange as well. Though I suppose that Sprint has a fairly large coverage area, and if you are using another carrier 50% of the time at only 1x you would probably be much happier THAT carrier anyhow.
    Nope, you will notice it because the phone will drop the call.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    i'm on the old sero plan... unlimited roaming!.... but no pre for me =(
    Check the Sprint coverage map for your area. If you are in a major city the odds of you roaming all the time are pretty slim nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by muncheroo View Post
    i'm on the old sero plan... unlimited roaming!.... but no pre for me =(
    The unlimited roaming really isn't unlimited roaming, nor is unlimited data really unlimited data. I just pulled this off the Sprint site:

...Sprint may terminate service if (1) more than 800 minutes, (2) a majority of minutes or (3) a majority of data kilobytes in a given month are used while roaming....

Go to plans, and them click on Terms and Conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    The unlimited roaming really isn't unlimited roaming, nor is unlimited data really unlimited data. I just pulled this off the Sprint site:

...Sprint may terminate service if (1) more than 800 minutes, (2) a majority of minutes or (3) a majority of data kilobytes in a given month are used while roaming....

Go to plans, and them click on Terms and Conditions.
    On this topic: My 755 had no problem doing roaming for data, so far the Pre will not do it. It does not even give m an option.
    I used my 700p/755p on forced roaming for the past 3 years since I have bad reception at home, and never heared from sprint a word, I have unlimited talk/data/msgs.
    however the data on roaming is very poor 1x.
    Global Posts
    198 Global Posts
    Thats pretty weird that Sprint didn't say anything. I had my friend put his phone on roam only and two weeks in he got his service canceled for free with 15 months left on his contract.. If you ever want out of a contract early just switch your phone to roam only if you can . It works very well.
    Phone: 700p > Pre
    PMP: Archos 605 (30GB) and iPod Touch (16GB)
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    Verizon will be launching 4G soon in a year or two, why not make money with those soon-to-be replaced CDMA towers? Verizon should sign with Sprint to allow usage of EV-DO.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast