Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    238 Global Posts
    Lol, this picture of my phone just says it all.

I am having service issue too. Periodically the phone roams and I have almost zero bars most of the time.

I called Sprint and the rep was not very helpful. She said that Sprint didn't guarantee service and that different phones have different signal strength. She never offered Airave and said I could return the phone in 30 days if the service did not improve.

I told her that I did not live in a mobile home, but an apartment building. It did not help.
    Fluctuating signal here too....I can set it next to my Treo 800w and MotoQ and while they hold a constant and decent signal strength, I can see the Pre fluctuate...not good.
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    I've always had bad service. But I was OK with it because I was using my $30 SERO. But I sure as hell am not "OK with it" paying $69.99 a month.

So I called in to retentions, threatening to switch my line to the iPhone if they can't offer me "something". And low and behold I will be receiving a free Airave device and get free month service on it. I love being in the 30 day trial period!
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by purplecharm View Post
    I am having service issue too. Periodically the phone roams and I have almost zero bars most of the time.

I called Sprint and the rep was not very helpful. She said that Sprint didn't guarantee service and that different phones have different signal strength. She never offered Airave and said I could return the phone in 30 days if the service did not improve.

I told her that I did not live in a mobile home, but an apartment building. It did not help.
    Talking to CS is an art. You have to know when to play dumb and when to play smart. As a starter, I would say call and ask for "cancellation department"; mention how you missed an important call or something; say you're gonna port to AT&T.
    My 755p would sometimes drop calls, but rarely ever went into roaming at home. Pre is in roaming at home most of the time and on 1X data. 755p nearly always had EVDO connection in the house. From posts here, it seems that some phones have much better reception than others. Hope there is a fix to this soon.
    I am having similar problems in MD. I have been with sprint and had great coverage and singal at my house, any room. I was talking on it multiple times yesterday when the call dropped, went to roaming, or person could not hear me. I hope it gets better, as Sprint had better service in my house then Verizon. I love the phone. This seems to be eating my power as well. Phone is getting hot on the back side
    I haven't had issues around my house but there are places where I used to get full EV-DO and that ain't happening no more.. Like on 880, it was on 1X for about half my trip up from San Jose. Otherwise, feels just as snappy as it usually does! Speed tests show about 2Mbps in a good area but averaging around 1.3Mbps in most areas.
    I did not missed my calls yet, but my signal kept dropping to 1 bar from 3 bars. my other centro is having 3 bars. this has happened at two different locations.
    "Who really needs to multitask on their phone." - PRE-rock
    Quote Originally Posted by lopezpm View Post
    Do they only offer this to customers that have been with them for a while or would they offer me one too?
    I bought the Pre and signed up with Sprint yesterday. I got off the phone just a bit ago (customer retentions ) and didn't have to ask twice. I didn't even mention the extra $5.00 per month fee they want to charge you and when she came back on the line she volunteered that the fee would be waived as well.

I am in a Sprint acknowledged little pocket of low coverage in my neighborhood.

For $10.00 per month you can get unlimited calling from home through the Airave, if you don't have the unlimited minutes plan already. $20.00 for multiple lines on one account.
    Global Posts
    238 Global Posts
    I've been trying since it came out and I can't get them to budge. I don't get Sprint sometimes.
    This phone has been constantly up and down with the signal. Never seen a phone that jumps around this much
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    There are already a couple of different threads on this topic...seems to be a big problem.

I've heard people talking about the Airave, but if the phone sucks at picking up a signal, the airave will only help you at home (also, no EVDO through the Airrave). I'm really, really hoping this is something Palm/Sprint will fix quick.
    Global Posts
    238 Global Posts
    At home is the only place I'm really having a problem, and that's the type of customer that the airave is meant for. But if you're using it you most likely have Wifi and EVDO doesn't really matter. Haha, the funny part is my data signal is always stronger than the voice signal at home anyway.
    Well this is definitely a device related issue and not Sprint's lack of signal strength in my area. My signal fluctuates from 5 bars EV to no bars to roaming 5 bars etc... All in the same place, within minutes.

Airave simply isn't a solution, I don't want one. I want my phone to work properly when i'm at work, at home, and most importantly, when I'm in the car!!!!

They've got 3 weeks to get this fixed, or the flood of returns/cancelled service is going to sink these ships!
    Global Posts
    238 Global Posts
    Well if they give you one, hand it over to me! I've been trying to get one since it came out, but they give one to everybody BUT me even when they don't ask.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Same problem here - and bad. My Pre is constantly jumping on and off the network, 5 bars to no service to EVDO, to "phone disabled" to 3 bars, to 1x, to . . . etc. All this 'jumping/searching' is murdering my battery life as well.

I'm guessing it's a device specific glitch. Don't know if it's hardware or software issue or what. My friend and I bought our Pre's at the same time, same store, we live in the same area. He has NONE of these issues whatsoever while I, standing next to him (in proven strong signal areas from experience with my 755p), will have my Pre simply flipping out in the manner described above. His Pre has no problems in that regard whatsoever.

A shockingly helpful Sprint store employee down here in Houston gave a few suggestions (call *2 to upgrade my PRL (sp?)) and I had already downloaded the main update for the firmware. Also did the 'update network settings', but none of those worked. I'll be meeting with her tomorrow to just swap the phone out and pray that I get one of the 'good' ones.

peace y'all.

oh, so I guess part of the point in this post is to say: the problem isn't Sprint, weak signal areas etc, and the solution has nothing (for me) to do with getting airwave. This problem seems somewhat 'widespread' but doesn't seem to be universal in the sense that we don't have a 'sticky' for it, and it two about 2 days for this topic to get back on the front page. So I'm not thinking some sort of download is forthcoming anytime soon to fix this issue. My theory is that 'x' number of us just got bum Pre's in this regard and need to exchange (assuming that you want to keep the Pre, as I currently do).
    Last edited by hmjd; 06/08/2009 at 10:17 AM. Reason: forgot some final thoughts I wanted to add
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    same problem here...

I've spent more time "roaming" these past two days then my entire time with Sprint (almost 10 years).

I can only access the app store here and there and I've given up trying to surf the web for now.

I'm trying not to panic and see if this gets fixed.
    Add me to the list of people with constantly fluctuating signal. Hope we get an OTA fix soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by moloukhya View Post
    Add me to the list of people with constantly fluctuating signal. Hope we get an OTA fix soon!
    Ditto. Will be interesting to see if swapping the phone will resolve the issue, although I'd prefer a software update.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast