Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Oh, am I ever happy! The Pre is actually silent when you put it in Silent mode.

After since the ill-fated update to my Treo 700p, I have been cursed with a lack of true silence in my life, thanks to that annoying button-pushing tone that was triggered even in silent mode.

But that's all history now... I think I love you, Pre!
    SUNSPOT
    Arena Rock for Geeks
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Are you guys putting the phone in silent with the ringer switch on or off?
  3.    #3  
    I've just been using the hardware switch to silence it. Is that what you are referring to by "ringer switch" (the one at the top of the phone)?
    SUNSPOT
    Arena Rock for Geeks
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Yes, but I have my hardware switch set to vibrate.

Quote Originally Posted by sunspotwendy View Post
    I've just been using the hardware switch to silence it. Is that what you are referring to by "ringer switch" (the one at the top of the phone)?
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by zmerahn View Post
    The settings let you turn vibrate off when it is in silent mode, if you want.

Personal preference.
    SUNSPOT
    Arena Rock for Geeks
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    No, I like the switch to put it on vibrate. How would I switch to silent? Turn the switch on, then lower the volume all the way using the volume buttons on the side?

The settings let you turn vibrate off when it is in silent mode, if you want.

Personal preference.
    Actually, the Pre ISN'T silent in silent mode. It still plays the sounds from videos and music.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    But you can turn the volume down for those things too if you really want to. And videos and music won't start themselves so you have to consciously be playing a media file to have it play sound. If you set everything to silent you won't get any unwanted disruptions is more what I think this thread is about.
    My alarm clock reminder went off in the middle of a final exam this morning, despite being switched to Silent
    Quote Originally Posted by RenardRouge View Post
    My alarm clock reminder went off in the middle of a final exam this morning, despite being switched to Silent
    That was an option on my touch pro to have alarm go off when phone is on silent, very useful when you want to have your phone on silent so you don't get woke up by phone calls or messages but still have the alarm go off. I don't think/know that there is an option for that on the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by RenardRouge View Post
    Actually, that is a "feature" and a good thing, IMO. Like the fact that you can have a silent phone while you sleep but the alarm will still go off.
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    Oh, am I ever happy! The Pre is actually silent when you put it in Silent mode.

After since the ill-fated update to my Treo 700p, I have been cursed with a lack of true silence in my life, thanks to that annoying button-pushing tone that was triggered even in silent mode.

But that's all history now... I think I love you, Pre!
    Wendy, I still think I h8 u, but I also think you got caught by a well-known glitch there - my 700P has always been silent, even with the switch thrown, which is how it lives 99% of the time.

Anyway, as you were...
    So if you guys put the phone on silent, you still get alarms and notifications going off right? How can you making EVERYTHING silent, not just the ringer and the alarm notifications? Is there any way to do it?
    Quote Originally Posted by PreMyPre View Post
    So if you guys put the phone on silent, you still get alarms and notifications going off right? How can you making EVERYTHING silent, not just the ringer and the alarm notifications? Is there any way to do it?
    If you put the phone on silent, all you should hear is the alarm from the clock application, and music or videos that you have playing. That's been my experience so far.
    Right - thats what I think is annoying. Is there any way to put the phone in complete silence without having to manually lower the sound all the way?
    Quote Originally Posted by PreMyPre View Post
    Right - thats what I think is annoying. Is there any way to put the phone in complete silence without having to manually lower the sound all the way?
    I've said this before elsewhere, but sure, customization would be great, and not just with this issue but many other things.

That being said, I just don't get what's so annoying about that. Any notifications are made silent by it. I don't personally set my alarm clock to go off in the middle of the day. And when I'm at work, I close the media players.
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I've said this before elsewhere, but sure, customization would be great, and not just with this issue but many other things.

That being said, I just don't get what's so annoying about that. Any notifications are made silent by it. I don't personally set my alarm clock to go off in the middle of the day. And when I'm at work, I close the media players.
    I'd stop short of calling it annoying, but with my 700p, I would sometimes reach into my pocket and accidentally hit a button...and even though the phone was locked, ptunes music would still play...but I could stop it real quick by toggling my switch. Happened to me in a meeting a couple of times.

But today, I was playing in with my Pre's music app in by cube farm at work, and hit play having forgot that I unplugged the headphones...Jay-Z started spitting the most unfortunate lyrics...I almost broke my ringer switch trying to get him to shut up, my screen would not respond, and finally had to grab a pair of headphones and plug them in....I guess I'm with the OP...I like true Silence.
    Bok
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bok View Post
    I'd stop short of calling it annoying, but with my 700p, I would sometimes reach into my pocket and accidentally hit a button...and even though the phone was locked, ptunes music would still play...but I could stop it real quick by toggling my switch. Happened to me in a meeting a couple of times.

But today, I was playing in with my Pre's music app in by cube farm at work, and hit play having forgot that I unplugged the headphones...Jay-Z started spitting the most unfortunate lyrics...I almost broke my ringer switch trying to get him to shut up, my screen would not respond, and finally had to grab a pair of headphones and plug them in....I guess I'm with the OP...I like true Silence.
    Hmm. I haven't pulled the headphones out while in the music app, but I know that in Pandora, the music is automatically paused when I remove the headphones. Kind of weird that it's not in the music app.

Edit: Never mind, I thought about it a second, and remembered that pulling out a regular headphone wire shorts the button connector for just a second and pauses the music. Stereo headsets with a button don't have this happen. (I actually have a stereo headset myself, but was playing Pandora over my stereo earlier.)
    Global Posts
    200 Global Posts
    There should be an option to completely silence the pre when the switch is on silence. I was listening to music via headphones with my pre then received a call. Disconnected the headphones to take the call. Once I hung up, the music started blaring and I was at a location where it was not appropriate at all.

Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Palm Pre (x2 referb)
    Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by zmerahn View Post
    There is no "hardware" switch that just controls vibrating. That is done via the WebOS software.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast