View Poll Results: How fast has the Sprint Data network been for you?

Voters
114. You may not vote on this poll
  • Extremely Fast

61 53.51%
  • Fast

38 33.33%
  • Good

12 10.53%
  • Barely getting by

2 1.75%
  • Unacceptable

1 0.88%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    Wait 3g isn't the slow crap?

1XRTT was before EVDO came around (2G)
    EV is EVDO which came in 2 revisions REV 0 which is old EVDO and the new EVDO REV A (only avaliable in select cities) which is the fastest out there.
    Actually 1xRTT was considered the beginnings of 3G -- it is definitely not 2G and came after 2G. It was marketed as 3G initially, but many folks now refer to it as 2.5G (EDGE is also now often refered to as 2.5G).

2G provided data at around 14kbs.
    2G also permitted dial-up modem emulation (including FAXing) so that you could dial into arbitrary analog modems, or use the Internet via QNC with your carrier as the ISP.

1xrtt does around 60-120kbs (about half of EDGE). Beginning with 1xrtt, you had no choice about ISP, you can't dial into modems, you must use your carrier as your ISP.

EVDO is about 5X faster than 1xrtt. Although Rev A is a bit faster still, particularly with the uplink speed, another important difference is that the latency of RevA is much lower. These two improvements over Rev0 are particularly important for implementing PTT/Qchat (push to talk). And it maybe that your perception of Rev A being much faster has more to do with the decreased latency rather than raw bandwidth improvements.

And comparing Sprint's EVDO to Tmo is really unfair since Tmo has very little 3G deployed as well as very few devices that can use it, so you're comparing EVDO to EDGE... lol
    Quote Originally Posted by neurocutie View Post
    Actually 1xRTT was considered the beginnings of 3G -- it is definitely not 2G and came after 2G. It was marketed as 3G initially, but many folks now refer to it as 2.5G (EDGE is also now often refered to as 2.5G).

2G provided data at around 14kbs.
    2G also permitted dial-up modem emulation (including FAXing) so that you could dial into arbitrary analog modems, or use the Internet via QNC with your carrier as the ISP.

1xrtt does around 60-120kbs (about half of EDGE). Beginning with 1xrtt, you had no choice about ISP, you can't dial into modems, you must use your carrier as your ISP.

EVDO is about 5X faster than 1xrtt. Although Rev A is a bit faster still, particularly with the uplink speed, another important difference is that the latency of RevA is much lower. These two improvements over Rev0 are particularly important for implementing PTT/Qchat (push to talk). And it maybe that your perception of Rev A being much faster has more to do with the decreased latency rather than raw bandwidth improvements.

And comparing Sprint's EVDO to Tmo is really unfair since Tmo has very little 3G deployed as well as very few devices that can use it, so you're comparing EVDO to EDGE... lol
    Thanks for the technical information! BTW it was AT&T not T-Mo
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    Whats the best way to go on about testing the Speed? i'm guessing iPhone browser Speed and Latency Test (iPhone speedtest)
    Beta speedtest, for full browsers on smart phones (such as iPhone)
    Should work?
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Alright i have to say that i am getting the same speeds as i did on my Moto Q. Around 700kbps. Im using the Iphone 3g Speed test at DSL Reports. I thought the Rev. A would get me over 1mbps easily. This is with 5 bars. Is something wrong with my PRE?
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by northside View Post
    I'm on the northside as well, near Waveland and Lakeshore, and it's been hella-fast for me. I've been all around the area tonight...by Wrigley, down near Diversey, and of course by Lakeshore. I came from AT&T and this is killing it.

I used to not even be able to make calls from my apartment with AT&T.
    I'm a little further west of you, near Irving Park and Damen, and my web speeds are super fast in my place, on the way to the El, and around Lincoln Square. On the El itself (Brown Line), I only noticed a lag in service between Fullerton and Diversey. But that's it.
    Quote Originally Posted by NM08SRT8 View Post
    Well... Yeah. Rev A. vs EVDO
    Rev. A is evdo.

Rev. 0 which the treo line since the 700 has been on only gets around 400-600Kb/s download, where as Rev. A gets burst rates of up to 600-1.4Mbs with peaks up to I think 3Mb/s. Upload has also drastically increased with Rev. A at burst rates up to 1.8Mb/s.
    I typically get 400K-1.2Mbps. The top speed I've seen is 1.9Mbps.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12