Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    I'm thrilled with my Pre but they were unable to transfer the contacts from my BlackBerry 8830 WE. For some reason it only transferred eight out of 350...

Obviously considering the amount of contacts I can't just type them in by hand. I have my BB backed up on my computer but I have no idea how that could be synced with the Pre.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    did you try having them transfer your contacts at the Sprint Store?

I hope someone comes along with a better answer than that for you.

edit: sorry I missed the word "they"
    The folks at my local Sprint store had hardware devices to xfer contacts, appts, etc from a wide range of phones. They handled my Treo and my daughter's TMobile Razr. They also said that you could come back later in the week if you didn't want to do it on the day that you picked up the Pre.
    IIIx -> Tungsten T -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Launch day Pre
    I have 1400 contacts in my Treo 700 and the Sprint Store couldn't get anything on my Pre after the letter 'C'!

But I'm returning the phone because as soon as I accept a call, the screen goes black. The issue is when the call is over (not because I hung up, but the other party did), I can't get the screen to come back on. I've just spent an hour with Sprint Customer service and they couldn't figure it out either. Every time a call is completed I had to do a reset on the phone. Not good.
    For the BlackBerry, set up a GMail account with your pc, install Google Sync on the BlackBerry, and send your contacts to Google. Then use that GMail account when you set up your Pre. Works like a charm! Your contacts will be installed automatically when you configure the Pre for GMail.

On the BB, go to google.com, navigate to Sync, and install.
    Verizon
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Thanks, rambo! That sounds like a great solution.

The folks at the Spring store didn't know what the problem was and didn't really offer much advice in terms of helping me get them transferred. And luckily I already have a GMail account.

Edit: Although my BlackBerry no longer has service because it was transferred to the Pre. Could this still be possible by just using the BlackBerry Desktop Manager?
    I have an HTC Touch and they did the transfer at the store but after I got home I found out it only transfered peoples names ... no address or phone number info ... any suggestions
    Google Sync is the answer to 90% of contact syncing issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan4s2 View Post
    Thanks, rambo! That sounds like a great solution.

The folks at the Spring store didn't know what the problem was and didn't really offer much advice in terms of helping me get them transferred. And luckily I already have a GMail account.

Edit: Although my BlackBerry no longer has service because it was transferred to the Pre. Could this still be possible by just using the BlackBerry Desktop Manager?
    Unfortunately, this only works through the BlackBerry data plan.
    Verizon
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Looks like I will be adding 350 contacts by hand. Wish me luck as a become a hermit for the next 24 hours!
    Have never used blackberry's desktop manager however if you can transfer data on your computer this may work.

If you can sync the data into palm's desktop manager 6.2 (free download) then you can move it one time into the pre with the data transfer assistant and the cable that came with the pre.

I was able to do this after the Sprint store failed to transfer my contacts from my 755p yesterday.
    What i did was back everything up into outlook, and then downloaded this program from the palm website
    p@lm.com/us/support/downloads/pre/migration/dta_windows
    (replace the @ with an A and add .html to the last word, since i only have 4 posts, i cant post actual links and thats the best i could do)

then hooked up my pre as a USB drive, and ran the program and it transferred them all to my pre with no problems
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan4s2 View Post
    Looks like I will be adding 350 contacts by hand. Wish me luck as a become a hermit for the next 24 hours!
    Thats what I did But I only had about 150 contacts. It took forever.
    Quote Originally Posted by prochobo View Post
    Worked for me on my Mac, but I have a lot of duplicates now. But that always seems to happen when messing around with contacts and syncing.

Same thing exactly happened to me at the Sprint store. I think I got 9 out of 350.
    I had an old Sanyo Katana before I got the Pre yesterday. I think I'll just take it back to the Sprint Store and have them transfer my contacts there. Probably should have done it yesterday when I bought the phone, but I was too anxious to get out of there and start using it.

Seems odd that they don't just have a simple "transfer contacts list from bluetooth" option though. Seems like it would make things much easier for everyone.
    I bought my pre at Best Buy. I tried to transfer contacts from my Palm Desktop using the Palm DTA. I was using the Palm site as the data storage point. Tried late last night one more time hoping I might find my contacts in the phone this morning. No luck.

I never got it to work. Tried several times and never ended up with more than the two Sprint conact numbers programmed into the phone. Strangely, my calendar did sync perfectly. Gremlins never cease to amaze me.
    Quote Originally Posted by prochobo View Post
    This looks good for phones other than palm platform. I can't get my treo to sync from Palm desktop via google. Calendar worked, but not the contacts from the phone. I got all google contacts I had before only. Can anyone help me figuring out how to sync the phone contacts? Thanks
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    I'm not positibe if this would work on a blackberry but it might and it was how I managed to get my contacts migrated to the pre. After I connected to my PC via bluetooth on my old phone, I was then able to send all contacts from the phone to the PC where they ended up in Outlook Express. I then exported from Outlook Express to a csv file which can be taken into gmail under the import contacts screen. Gmail lets you apply a group to the imported contacts which I used just in case I had to undo something.
    Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
    FYI:

My store could not sync in store.

I had to sync for my Verizon Razr2 to my MacBook

Then I used the trial "missing sync" software to sync the contact from the MacBook address book to my Pre. This worked flawlessly.