Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Well.. I gave it a shot.. I've had it a few hours..
    It's sluggish, the keyboard is lame, and it does not get along with MAC AT ALL, and it is really cheesy feeling.. esp the keyboard.. those sharp edges along the sides.. what were they thinking..but really the killer for me was no Mac support.. and Bluetooth.. arg!!.. lousy drivers i suspect
    I want my personal data to myself, protected on my desktop.. not some virtual reality i have to depend on to sync and store my data.. ala Google or Facebook!.. I have a MAC, My Nokia E71, Blackberry Bold, and iPhone all sync very nicely with my MAC.. This Pre does NOT.. i have just spent a couple hours trying to jump through hoops trying to get this to sync. Sprint assured me it would.. it does not.
    Also, I cannot send a file via bluetooth from my Mac to my Pre.. it does NOT WORK.. .. again, all my other phones have taken minutes to set up and seamlessly send and recieve via Bluetooth.. This Pre.. doesn't do it..
    errors and stating that the "this device does not have the necessary services"
    great... so.. off it goes.. back to Sprint.. that's my last Palm device EVER..
    Goodbye, and soooooolong
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    works fine with my macs
    You sure you're not doing something wrong?
    Quote Originally Posted by shawnfb View Post
    I want my personal data to myself, protected on my desktop.. not some virtual reality i have to depend on to sync and store my data.. ala Google or Facebook!..
    Missing Sync is coming for the Pre. And you knew what you were getting into before you bought it. It sync with online services, that's the main point of the device.

Also, I cannot send a file via bluetooth from my Mac to my Pre.. it does NOT WORK.. .. again, all my other phones have taken minutes to set up and seamlessly send and recieve via Bluetooth..
    Unless it's jail-broken, you have not sent a file from your computer to the iPhone over bluetooth.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikest View Post
    works fine with my macs
    can you define "works fine with my macs"?
    what and how are you doing it?
    isync, a third party app, Bluetooth?
    thanks
    sounds like user error to me, but to each his own I suppose....and I honestly can not understand anyone complaining about the "sharp edges" on the keyboard, what are your fingers made out of, tissue paper?
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Badandy127 View Post
    Missing Sync is coming for the Pre. And you knew what you were getting into before you bought it. It sync with online services, that's the main point of the device.

Unless it's jail-broken, you have not sent a file from your computer to the iPhone over bluetooth.
    yeah all other phones but the iphone you are right.. i took for granted that the iphone and mac work so well.. I need to do nothing.. but let it sync .. via mobile me .. and when i sync via itunes..
    I was able to use the Palm data assistant to move data from my mac. I thougt it went pretty smooth.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by tuacamo View Post
    sounds like user error to me, but to each his own I suppose....and I honestly can not understand anyone complaining about the "sharp edges" on the keyboard, what are your fingers made out of, tissue paper?
    really? you like the recessed keyboard?.. i don't like it.. that is a very large ridge all around the keyboard.. it should be flush..
    it is quite "sharp" in relation to the rest of the "pebble" feel Palm was looking for.. so yeah it's "sharp" relatively speaking you *****.
    Last edited by MarkEagle; 06/06/2009 at 05:34 PM. Reason: inappropriate content
    Wow, sorry - this thing rocks as far as I am concerned. Yes, I am going to have to get used to some things - but it seems solid right now. Apparently, you have never had a WM device!
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin
    Adios. Stop being an early adopter. It's not good for those folks who want everything to work out of the box. Maybe that's why Palm is holding off on the ad campaign. I like the Pre, but I don't doubt that I'll be frustrated at some point in the next few days. Sprint's service rep SUCKED. Luckily she had some quality colleagues to back her up.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Captweez View Post
    I was able to use the Palm data assistant to move data from my mac. I thougt it went pretty smooth.
    and what do you need to do in the future to keep the data synced?
    it is not an easy solution... by far.. it's tedious at best... every time you have to sync data??.. hmm.. no.. not for me
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    I used a program called SpanningSync to sync my address book and calender with Gmail. It goes both ways, if I make a change in Gmail it sends it back to my mac and updates iCal and address book.

Another option like CaptWeez below
    www.Palm.com/migrate-pre

if you're looking to transfer files over bluetooth I dont believe the Pre will do that currently with any kind of computer but you can use a USB cable and itunes or go into usb mode and treat the Pre like an external HDD or flash drive (drag and drop files)
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbatex View Post
    Wow, sorry - this thing rocks as far as I am concerned. Yes, I am going to have to get used to some things - but it seems solid right now. Apparently, you have never had a WM device!
    I had a WM device.. why should I compare it to a WM.. ?
  16.    #16  
    I used a program called SpanningSync to sync my address book and calender with Gmail. It goes both ways, if I make a change in Gmail it sends it back to my mac and updates iCal and address book.

Another option like CaptWeez below
    www.Palm.com/migrate-pre

if you're looking to transfer files over bluetooth I dont believe the Pre will do that currently with any kind of computer but you can use a USB cable and itunes or go into usb mode and treat the Pre like an external HDD or flash drive (drag and drop files)
    Thanks .. how much is SpanningSync anyway?.. does it sync Picture ID for the phone app?
    Peace. Nice knowing ya!
    Treo 650p --> Treo 755p --> Pre
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    Thanks .. how much is SpanningSync anyway?.. does it sync Picture ID for the phone app?
    I believe its 15 dollars but its a free 30 day trial. It also does transfer contact photos.

Spanning Sync - Sync iCal and Google Calendar
  19.    #19  
    I believe its 15 dollars but its a free 30 day trial. It also does transfer contact photos.

Spanning Sync - Sync iCal and Google Calendar
    thanks mike I'll give it a whirl
    Well.. I gave it a shot.. I've had it a few hours..
    It's sluggish, the keyboard is lame, and it does not get along with MAC AT ALL, and it is really cheesy feeling.. esp the keyboard.. those sharp edges along the sides.. what were they thinking..but really the killer for me was no Mac support.. and Bluetooth.. arg!!.. lousy drivers i suspect
    I want my personal data to myself, protected on my desktop.. not some virtual reality i have to depend on to sync and store my data.. ala Google or Facebook!.. I have a MAC, My Nokia E71, Blackberry Bold, and iPhone all sync very nicely with my MAC.. This Pre does NOT.. i have just spent a couple hours trying to jump through hoops trying to get this to sync. Sprint assured me it would.. it does not.
    Also, I cannot send a file via bluetooth from my Mac to my Pre.. it does NOT WORK.. .. again, all my other phones have taken minutes to set up and seamlessly send and recieve via Bluetooth.. This Pre.. doesn't do it..
    errors and stating that the "this device does not have the necessary services"
    great... so.. off it goes.. back to Sprint.. that's my last Palm device EVER..
    I have to agree. I wasn't pleased with the UX at all. It was sluggish when only a few apps were open. Don't get me wrong, some of the apps were sweet (tweed, citysearch, pandora), but the phone kept crashing on me. Which was pretty painful to sit through having waited so long for the thing.

I didn't even waste the time to try to sync it to my mac... went straight to BestBuy and returned it and got my old plan back for my 755p. I'll give them another 6 months or so to let them polish it up a bit before trying the Pre again.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast