1.    #1  
    Just got my Pre and am loving it. However, the signal inside my home isn't what I was hoping for. I dropped a call as I walked through my house.

However, after I udpated to 1.02, I noticed better signal and but an "R" was displayed next to the signal bars instead of the "EV." Is this the "edge" network? (Sorry, coming from AT&T. On the iphone, I was able to turn OFF 3G but cannot find this setting on the Pre.

Thanks!
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    R means you are roaming on Verizon cell tower.
    If you want to turn it off (Which you should not do) type ##EVDO# and you can turn it off there.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
  4.    #4  
    Thanks for the quick responses!

Quote Originally Posted by Modular View Post
    R means you are roaming on Verizon cell tower.
    Wow, really? So Roaming gives me a better signal? Damn. How can I keep it there? lol

Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    If you want to turn it off (Which you should not do) type ##EVDO# and you can turn it off there.
    what is the repricussions? Can I turn it back on by typing the same thing? I ask becuase my buddy, who is on AT&T can only get a decent signal on hi iPhone by keeping 3G off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enlil242 View Post
    Thanks for the quick responses!

Wow, really? So Roaming gives me a better signal? Damn. How can I keep it there? lol

what is the repricussions? Can I turn it back on by typing the same thing? I ask becuase my buddy, who is on AT&T can only get a decent signal on hi iPhone by keeping 3G off.
    On older devices you could set it to "Force Roaming" I am pretty pissed the option is missing on the Pre since I have no Coverage at home and I am getting dropped calls already.

You can turn it back on from the ##EVDO# screen but there is really no point to turning off EVDO and forcing it into 1XRTT.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09

6.    #6  
    On older devices you could set it to "Force Roaming" I am pretty pissed the option is missing on the Pre since I have no Coverage at home and I am getting dropped calls already.

You can turn it back on from the ##EVDO# screen but there is really no point to turning off EVDO and forcing it into 1XRTT.
    Thanks for the help. The only thing that 1XRTT did was basically force roaming in my case, with unsatisfactory results. I tried to update network settings, but it's still too early to tell. I am in one of the worst locations in my home, and at least it shows 2 bars and EV, but that can easily go down.

I heard that if you call retentions and mention you have poor service in your home, they will send you the Airave femtocell.
    Quote Originally Posted by miles4000 View Post
    I heard that if you call retentions and mention you have poor service in your home, they will send you the Airave femtocell.
    I can confirm that, I have one rententions gave me for free that works like a dream
    Quote Originally Posted by miles4000 View Post
    I'd be happy to pay for an Airave if they'd let me, but for whatever reason they aren't offering it in my area.
    Caveat, on the Treo (for some) when you did this it also stopped text and voice. Even worse ##DATA# again didn't turn it back on unless you did a soft reset. I'm not sure on the Pre how it's gonna effect it.
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    will 1XRTT give better battery life? im going to test it right now. i just swiched it and so far voice, and surfing as well. little slower but good enough, specially if the battery will last longer. I will see how it does.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    can you see if a "normal" sprint phone has better signal? I have that problem - the pre has a small fraction of the signal strength of other cheaper sprint phones. Sprint told me mine must be defective, but it sounds like a pervasive problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by paulg1981 View Post
    I can confirm that, I have one rententions gave me for free that works like a dream
    I have had mixed results with my Airave after day 2. I had a few dropped calls, I am wondering if my Pre is having problems.