1.    #1  
    I am attempting to view a .xls file from 'mobile.getdropbox.com' and I get an error about not being able to find an application to open this type of file? Anyone else....

I can't believe that the pre won't let you view docs over the net!
  2.    #2  
    bump
    Same thing will happen with pdf's.

You only have a viewer for the filetype that is coming from e-mail or stored on the phone. Stupid if you ask me, if you can provide this option for e-mail to auto open a application type. Why can't you do it for browsers.

Mabye there trying to prevent malware spread with popups or somthing?

I hope this gets changed to a option to turn on and off, becuase whats the point of having pdf view if you can't view a pdf while browseing internet. Same goes with .doc etc etc.

4.    #4  
    Or at least give the option to download the file for viewing later?!
    I have successfully viewed Excel and Word files, but in a (admittedly single) test, I can't look at PDFs. I took a PDF of my travel itineary which views fine on my desktop PC, and put it in a folder on my Pre. PDF viewer finds the file, and puts it in the list of things to open, but if I try to open it, I get:

!!! Error !!!

PDF View has encountered an error.
    We apologize for the inconvenience.

Error message:

Render Document Failed.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhitman View Post
    I have successfully viewed Excel and Word files, but in a (admittedly single) test, I can't look at PDFs. I took a PDF of my travel itineary which views fine on my desktop PC, and put it in a folder on my Pre. PDF viewer finds the file, and puts it in the list of things to open, but if I try to open it, I get:

!!! Error !!!

PDF View has encountered an error.
    We apologize for the inconvenience.

Error message:

Render Document Failed.
    Yup, same issue here, even if I save the document from Outlook on the PC and transfer it over via USB. Looks like it's a very picky reader.
    Quote Originally Posted by dcigary View Post
    Yup, same issue here, even if I save the document from Outlook on the PC and transfer it over via USB. Looks like it's a very picky reader.
    Ditto. Sucks. Another step backwards from the Palm OS.
    IIIx -> Tungsten T -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Launch day Pre