webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Palm Pre and Pre Plus > Getting The MSL Code to Pre
Getting The MSL Code to Pre

Old 06/06/2009, 04:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

An easy way to get your MSL code is to call up and say you need to do a data erase and restore. That particular operation requires that you know the MSL code. Good luck and happy times!
deesugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: cheetum
Old 06/07/2009, 09:16 AM   #2 (permalink)

I got my MSL's (wife's and mine + a 3rd) during activating my Pre's last night. They happily gave them to me over the phone.
Rob600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/07/2009, 09:28 AM   #3 (permalink)

What exactly is an MSL code and what will it allow me to do?
Conceyted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/07/2009, 09:36 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
An easy way to get your MSL code is to call up and say you need to do a data erase and restore. That particular operation requires that you know the MSL code. Good luck and happy times!

OK, Just called and they were a bit hesitant, but they gave me my MSL number..

Now lets work on getting NAI working...I need to get tethering working...any ideas?

Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Treo 800W -> Launch Day Pre (RIP 08/13/10) -> Replacement PRE
Cactusone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/02/2009, 04:23 PM   #5 (permalink)

Anyone found out how to get the MSL without having an existing Sprint account?
vjdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/29/2009, 04:00 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjdupree View Post
Anyone found out how to get the MSL without having an existing Sprint account?

I know I need to have the MSL for my pre but I can't exactly call sprint and ask for it...is there another way to get it?!?
chozenyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/29/2009, 04:35 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chozenyoung View Post
I know I need to have the MSL for my pre but I can't exactly call sprint and ask for it...is there another way to get it?!?
My question would be why do you need it? I have yet to do anything on my Pre that required it. On my WM phones I did but not for the Pre yet.
bmhanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/29/2009, 05:12 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmhanson View Post
My question would be why do you need it? I have yet to do anything on my Pre that required it. On my WM phones I did but not for the Pre yet.
my pre is stuck on the profile log-in page and I need to do a hard reset...however i can't get into the phone and do it....nor can I go to the palm website and do it...soft resets dont work...I need the MSL to do a hard reset!!!!
chozenyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/29/2009, 05:37 PM   #9 (permalink)

I dont have an account with sprint either. I need the msl too. It also helps to hack the phone to a different Cdma carrier. Thats what I need it for. I want to switch to Metro Pcs.
pyro707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/29/2009, 06:15 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chozenyoung View Post
my pre is stuck on the profile log-in page and I need to do a hard reset...however i can't get into the phone and do it....nor can I go to the palm website and do it...soft resets dont work...I need the MSL to do a hard reset!!!!
After a hard reset you will still need to log in to your profile to use the phone.
clipcarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/29/2009, 06:39 PM   #11 (permalink)

Just call *2 and ask for it. I've never been turned down and if you are hang up and call again to get a differen rep.
jcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/29/2009, 06:50 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conceyted View Post
What exactly is an MSL code and what will it allow me to do?
I wonder too
slimshady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/29/2009, 07:54 PM   #13 (permalink)

Got it no problem over the weekend. Told em I reset my Pre with WebOS Doctor and needed it to enable my data connection so I could sign into my Palm profile and activate my phone again.
NachoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/31/2009, 03:12 PM   #14 (permalink)

Got my MSL and am planning on changing some settings in the DATA menu....I will be jumping over to an Instinct Forum as there were some great Hash code hacks to improve signal strength/ EVDO connection and will report back with my results.
Bigfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: logie
Old 07/31/2009, 03:22 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfire View Post
Got my MSL and am planning on changing some settings in the DATA menu....I will be jumping over to an Instinct Forum as there were some great Hash code hacks to improve signal strength/ EVDO connection and will report back with my results.
Keep us updated!
ilmickeyli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/31/2009, 03:46 PM   #16 (permalink)

So much easier to do than it was on the instinct! Get your MSL and do some stuff from this thread: Samsung Instinct Forum - Login

Make sure to read the instructions carefully, just as if you were using Linux code, and I guess instead of Updating Data Profile (which you had to do with the instinct), just reset your phone to have the changes take hold.

Give your thoughts on what you notice. On my instinct the changes were like night and day. Sprint Tv was way faster, and because you connect to a closer Home Agent, the EVDO is faster. Obviously Pretards are spoiled with Wifi option, but obviously when you aren't in a hotspot, every boost can help.

Again make sure to UNDERSTAND (not just read) the disclaimers. If you change your Home agent, realize that if you travel to another part of the country, your signal will still go back to the home agent locale first and that will cause a delay or no signal.

***Also very important***

Write down the initial values for everything you change. There is a reset defaults in the ##DATA# menu, however I'm not sure if that will basically wipe the whole cell clean, and you may just want to revert those couple settings....Enjoy!
Bigfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/01/2010, 07:19 PM   #17 (permalink)

Called and got my code. I had to go to tech support, the normal support person got all weird on me, but I pressed them till they sent me to support. The support guy was cool and gave me the number no trouble, I just told him I was about to doctor (which I am) and that I wanted the number just in case cause I don't have access to another phone easily (which I don't, lol). He gave me the number for my wife's Pre too...awesome!
Bazirker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/01/2010, 09:00 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfire View Post
There is a thread on one of the forums here with that info. I used it and changed my DATA details.
diddly4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/20/2010, 10:46 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactusone View Post
OK, Just called and they were a bit hesitant, but they gave me my MSL number..

Now lets work on getting NAI working...I need to get tethering working...any ideas?
well i use pdanet to tether works like a dream and i get 2 mb download yay
shawnageek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/20/2010, 11:07 PM   #20 (permalink)

When you activate your phone online through your Sprint account the MSL is given at the activation success screen. Not many people realize this.
barkerja is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0