1.    #1  
    Anyone else having issues with contact pictures? The contact pictures from my Treo came over fine...but I copied a JPEG to the phone in USB mode and tried assigning it to a contact, and things are weird. While it looks great in the Pre's photo app, it looks horrible when the contact comes up. It is both distorted and off-center.

I have tried it at 100x100 and 200x200...and no luck either way. Anyone having any better luck with pictures copied to the DCIM folder?
    IIIx -> Tungsten T -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Launch day Pre
    my friend sent me a photo over text and i tried to assign it to her name and it wont work... I dont really care that much, but I wonder why
  3.    #3  
    More data:

1) Doesn't seem to matter if the contact is a google contact or a palm contact...it is screwed either way...unless you login to google and assign the picture there.

2) Doesn't seem to matter if you put the JPEG in the DCIM folder or any other spot. You get the same distorted and off-center result. I have tried it on two different Pre's.
  4.    #4  
    Ahhh...nevermind. PEBCAK (problem exists between chair and keyboard)

The last "attach picture" screen is actually a crop screen...where you can move the image around, zoom in, and zoom out...which you need to do before you attach the image. Actually, quite a nice feature...but perhaps not obvious. In general, there is much on this phone that is powerful..once you figure out what the UI supports/requires. Not many buttons, not much text.
    could you explain in a little more detail what you did? I took pics with the Pres camera, assigned to contact, zoomed and moved it around and it looks like crap. I can now see these pics in gmail on my computer which is nice but they look bad.
  6.    #6  
    Did you make sure that the white crop box was filled? That was my first issue...because my pics were quite small (e.g., 100x100 and 200x200). I then replaced those pictures with larger images, filled the white box on that last screen, zoomed a little, but made sure that I didn't zoom too much...since the preview is smaller than the picture that will appear when a calls comes in, so distortion may occur if you zoomed in too much when you attached the image.
    Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    I have the same problem (see my thread on this same issue)
    I started with LARGE images. In the crop/zoom area, my photo fills the entire screen
    (i didnt know you could also zoom), and yet it is still distorted. What exactly did you do to resolve this? thanks!!
    didnt zoom much at all and i filled the entire box. actually took the pics off the phone and assigned the pics though gmail and they look fine. not sure what I am doing wrong on the phone.
  9.    #9  
    I did what I just described...and I just took a new picture, assigned it to my office phone, and called it...and there was zero distortion. I'm not sure how to be more specific than my previous post. I suggest experimenting with that last crop screen some. It's something you are going to have to get the knack of.
    Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    Argh! just used a 320x480 photo. filled in the box. (could not pinch zoom)
    it's still distorted.
    What gives?
    Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    Ok, Tried it again..but this time i went to photos and assiged contact from wallpaper photos. Now there is no distortion.
    Before I was assigning photos through the contact app and it was blurry without fail. This is def a bug. Not a big deal but palm should address
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    I'm having the same problem when i set certain pics they come out distorted any way to fix this problem? When i view them on the phone they look great. I'm using the crop tool but still a no go for clarity.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IMethos View Post
    Ok, Tried it again..but this time i went to photos and assiged contact from wallpaper photos. Now there is no distortion.
    Before I was assigning photos through the contact app and it was blurry without fail. This is def a bug. Not a big deal but palm should address
    Nice problem solved!
    Quote Originally Posted by IMethos View Post
    so you saved the photo you wanted to use in the wallpaper folder? were these pics you had or did you use the Pres camera?
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    You need to go into your photos and when looking at the pic hit the option on top tool bar it will show add picture to contacts.
    Hi,

I'm having a similar issue on my Palm Pre Plus. I'm confident it's not a faulty handset, as I've already exchanged one in, because of a keyboard glitch, and this is my second with the same issue. I admit, I'm a bit of a perfectionist, but I really don't understand why it can't just work as simply as it does on other phones, including older Palms.

Basically, if I select a picture to assign to a contact, it doesn't matter what size it starts out, I'm forced to crop it before it's assigned. This could be worked around, as I could just give all the pics I want to use a border (though that would be a bit of an effort to go to, obviously).

However, it seems the phone uses two versions of the picture for the different places it shows it. First of all, there's the caller display pic, which seems to be whatever was cropped within the white box when assigning the contact pic. So far so good.

But the other version is the thumbnail that appears on the contact card, in the contact list and next to text messages. That image is not the same as the caller display pic - it's actually slightly larger and off centred from what I cropped (and then resized down to a thumbnail). So if I choose to make my contact pics with a border to cheat the cropping requirement, that border now shows in the thumbnails and looks stupid.

If anything, the thumbnail is the one I see more often, as I do a lot of texting and most of the time a caller display pic is filling the screen, I'm not looking at it, as I'm actually on the phone to the person.

But being the perfectionist I am, I want both the caller display pic and the thumbnail to be what I choose them to be.

Oh, incidentally, if I try any pinch zooming on the picture, the thumbnail version distorts vertically and loses it's original aspect ratio for some reason.

So my question is, am I overlooking something? I've tried following tutorials like this one (forums.precentral.net/palm-pre/191197-how-guide-hi-res-contact-photos-pre.html) to the letter, but to no avail, principally because that shows they were not forced to crop the image at all (see Exhibit H where the crop box actually fills the screen), whereas I am on my phone.

The best I can achieve is to have every contact picture at, say 320 x 320 and then designed such that a 250 x 250 segment slightly up and to the left of the centre is also a useable image. Sometimes, it just doesn't look right and it's bugging me, I'm afraid. I also don't understand why the cropping box 'lies' and the caller display and thumbnail can't simply be the same picture at different sizes!

Any thoughts or assistance would be greatly appreciated.

~ Dave