Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    I got my Pre this morning and am switching to Sprint from AT&T. The Sprint Store guy told me that it should take about an hour to port the phone number from AT&T to Sprint. 2.5 hours later, while I am still staring at the yellow "!" triangle on my Pre, I got a call from Sprint on my old AT&T cell phone. They needed to confirm my information again as they were having issues porting my number. The lady then told me she got a response from AT&T and the number will be ported at 6:22PM CST today. It's 2PM here in OC. I still have 2 more hours (and 22 minutes). :-(

For other people switching to Sprint from other carriers, how has your experience been with porting/activation?

Edit: My Pre just activated. It had only been 10 minutes since that Sprint lady called me. Yay, a working Pre!
    Last edited by bp6088; 06/06/2009 at 04:05 PM.
    It waited about 2 hours and then I called Sprint CS. They had me go thru reset procedure and it worked. I ported from VZW.
    About 10 minutes from T-Mobile.
    Follow Me On

Swapped from AT&T (GLORY GLORY HALLELUJAH!!! FREE AT LAST!!!!!!!!!!!!).

Guy told me it could be 10 minutes or several hours.

When I got home 20 minutes later, my AT&T phone couldn't pickup service. That was my green light to activate. Went off without a hitch.

They did tell me to not turn the new phone under any circumstances until my old service dropped out.
    less then a hr vzn
    Global Posts
    170 Global Posts
    I ported from AT&T. My other phone stopped working before I even got home, and when I got home it started right up. All in, maybe 20-30 minutes with the drive (it's a nice day, so I went for a cruise while I waited).
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    More than four hours from vzw
    Mine took about 30 minutes this morning. Switched from Verizon.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Ported from Verizon and it took me 1hr 30min customer service was getting pounded.
    45 minutes from VZ DUB
    Quote Originally Posted by northside View Post
    Swapped from AT&T (GLORY GLORY HALLELUJAH!!! FREE AT LAST!!!!!!!!!!!!).
    hahaha, Good one
    Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    Good thread. Best Buy told me it's going to be 24 hours. I checked this thread and seen you guys were getting it done in 10-30 minutes. I've already been waiting 8 hours so I called Sprint. They said I had to do the final activation process with them. The confirmed my stuff and had me powercycle the phone and it works. I would have been pissed if I actually waited the 24 hours for nothing.

I am now officially with Sprint
    Tried porting my number from helio but they couldn't figure it out. They thought it was a prepaid phone. So ended up just getting a new number cuz it was almost midnight and the gf was getting frustrated.
    Anyone know if its still possible to port it over if I go back another day or is it too late?
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    still waiting on Verizon. been at it since 12:30 p.m. EST. Sprint CS now says 9:02 CST pm, which I think is 10:02 pm EST? Not pleased with either Verizon or Sprint right now.
    10 minutes from AT&T to Sprint. Didn't even get a chance to get home before my iPhone started showing no service. My auto activation failed the first time but restarted the phone (Orange + SYM + R = Reset) and went through fine. Couldn't be happier with the phone!
    Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LurkMoar View Post
    Tried porting my number from helio but they couldn't figure it out. They thought it was a prepaid phone. So ended up just getting a new number cuz it was almost midnight and the gf was getting frustrated.
    Anyone know if its still possible to port it over if I go back another day or is it too late?
    Too late. Once you cancel that number is gone.
    We left Verizon. Both phones were switched within 30 minutes - before we had even left the store.

But, the reps had to spend another hour dickering around with my phone as it refused to activate. The problem ultimately turned out to be that the number on the box didn't match the number on the phone - a packaging error. They scanned the barcode in the phone itself and finally got it wall working. The rep made extensive notes about it on my account. They weren't in a position to just trade me out, as all the other Pre's had been claimed by that point. I estimate the Sprint corporate store I was at had 20 Pre's.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1quick1 View Post
    Too late. Once you cancel that number is gone.
    I haven't cancelled my other phone yet though.
    Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LurkMoar View Post
    I haven't cancelled my other phone yet though.
    Oh okay as long as it's still active you can port. I'm sure they can port it over to your Pre. Just whatever you do, DO NOT cancel that line cause once you do it's gone.
    Mine was good to go by the time i got home. Took about 45 mins though to do the process over the phone to verify the info.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast