webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Palm Pre and Pre Plus > Copy/Paste....are you kidding me.
Copy/Paste....are you kidding me.

Old 06/06/2009, 04:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

So after all the complaining about the lack of Copy/Paste on the iPhone we finally have the Pre which has this feature. Yes!!!!!.....except it is a complete waste of time on the Pre.

Ummm...so what is the point of this exactly. The Pre can only copy editable text. So if you find something on the web you want to copy....doesn't work. Want to copy a phone number someone texts you....doesn't work. What about and email? Sure you can copy info from an email after you hit reply, then copy and paste that info, then hit menu and finally cancel the message. So why would you need copy and paste then if it can't do the three most common Copy/Paste tasks you would want on a phone. It makes no sense.
plessdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/06/2009, 04:44 PM   #2 (permalink)

Relax.

You just need to take the rabid Apple base's approach..."just give them a little more time".

I agree with you on the limitations, but I think this is something that will be remedied in the near future.
DogEarsAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/06/2009, 04:46 PM   #3 (permalink)

I couldn't believe this myself. I have to believe this is on the top of Palm's update list. It has to be, right??? That will be reason enough for many people to opt for the new iPhone. I don't understand why all these mobile device manufacturers underestimate the high value placed on copy paste - especially for business users.
swivet#CB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/06/2009, 04:50 PM   #4 (permalink)

Great..so it will be 2 years before you can actually use Copy/Paste. Tack on another year or two based on Palm's previous time tables to fix stuff. I know this is 1.0 and for a 1.0 product it is phenomenal. I just question the logic of touting Copy/Paste as a feature when it has such limited use.

I agree jacked...for a business user this is a big letdown.
Old 06/06/2009, 05:04 PM   #5 (permalink)

One of many reasons I did not purchase today...

This thing isn't ready for me yet.
markdb77#AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/06/2009, 05:05 PM   #6 (permalink)

I'm a little bummed too. Been running the iphone 3.0 beta and really got spoiled by that implementation.

Holland Photo Studio
dutchtrumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/06/2009, 05:20 PM   #7 (permalink)

They really did take a bit too many pages from iPhone's book if you ask me.
HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
Pearl_Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: OLD_HATCH
Old 06/06/2009, 05:22 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet View Post
I'm a little bummed too. Been running the iphone 3.0 beta and really got spoiled by that implementation.
Reeeally?? I am super curious to know what that's like. Did you pick up a Pre to compare?
swivet#CB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/06/2009, 05:24 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet View Post
Me too.

My iPhone 3g is running 3.0, it does copy and paste well. My Pre will hopefully get a real copy/paste function soon.
Old 06/06/2009, 05:25 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by markdb77 View Post
One of many reasons I did not purchase today...

This thing isn't ready for me yet.
That makes 2 of us.....
pablo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/06/2009, 05:28 PM   #11 (permalink)

Uh, I got spoiled by the *Centro's* implementation of c'n'p. (And a lot of other things that I'm only realizing now.) I really like this phone, but it is just not ready yet for serious smartphone users.

Last edited by jkade; 06/06/2009 at 05:51 PM.
jkade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/06/2009, 05:29 PM   #12 (permalink)

I'm glad I came to this website, was trying to copy my Router password for the longest that I had sent myself in a text. It is a downer especially when using my iPhone on 3.0 and realizing how much I like Copy and Paste.

Great device, but not going to replace my iPhone.
Duvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: searchable
Old 06/06/2009, 05:41 PM   #13 (permalink)

Yeah you know what...this is NOT going to replace my iPhone. In two years this will be able to compete with the iPhone today. I give Palm credit. For a company near death to put out a phone this good is an amazing feat. The problem is though that they have an incredible uphill battle to unseat Apple and RIM for advanced smartphone users. Palm is now the best of the second tier smartphones.
Old 06/06/2009, 05:47 PM   #14 (permalink)

Palm shouldn't have emphasized C&P as a feature if it's limited to editable text fields. On a desktop, the amount of document editing that gets done makes clipboard functionality especially useful. On a mobile device, not being able to copy text from a web page into a memo or email really defeats the purpose of C&P.

Palm probably cut more than a few corners to get the Pre out the door before the end of their stated launch window, and they'll probably beef up C&P sooner than later, but it its current state, it's virtually useless.
Gameboy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/07/2009, 05:03 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogEars View Post
Relax.

You just need to take the rabid Apple base's approach..."just give them a little more time".

I agree with you on the limitations, but I think this is something that will be remedied in the near future.
That's pretty much what I have been reading about so many functions in the WebOs it is shocking

Quote:
Originally Posted by plessdude View Post
So after all the complaining about the lack of Copy/Paste on the iPhone we finally have the Pre which has this feature. Yes!!!!!.....except it is a complete waste of time on the Pre.

Ummm...so what is the point of this exactly. The Pre can only copy editable text. So if you find something on the web you want to copy....doesn't work. Want to copy a phone number someone texts you....doesn't work. What about and email? Sure you can copy info from an email after you hit reply, then copy and paste that info, then hit menu and finally cancel the message. So why would you need copy and paste then if it can't do the three most common Copy/Paste tasks you would want on a phone. It makes no sense.
WOW, thank you for posting this. I wouldnt have ever seen this lack of functionality otherwise.

Geesh, lots of "Gotcha's" with WebOs right now
searchable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/07/2009, 05:08 PM   #16 (permalink)

I love my Pre, but I will say that you are correct - the cut and paste sucks. In fact, that is just one of *many* things that my Treo could do that my Pre can't. Frankly, I am shocked that so many useful aspects of the PalmOS were left out. I could list a couple of dozen of other things that I have noticed...and solving them with Palm's HTML/CSS/JS-based SDK looks like an almost insurmountable challenge...at least to me.

This C&P thing hit me yesterday...and it sucked. That said, there are many things that do just rock. Perhaps the best example for me is the google calendar. My family has been using a shared one for some time and the fact that one of us throws something on it on our Pre and the other two see it on their Pre's is just flat out awesome.

That said, I want my Treo functionality back!
Old 06/07/2009, 05:13 PM   #17 (permalink)

Are you kidding me?
haydur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/07/2009, 05:20 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacked View Post
Reeeally?? I am super curious to know what that's like. Did you pick up a Pre to compare?
Yes, I did buy a pre.

Holland Photo Studio
dutchtrumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/07/2009, 05:33 PM   #19 (permalink)

Yeah I have to say I love my pre but the fact. They were all like we have copy and paste haha look how much bette we are then it turns outit is so gimped it pretty much doesn't even count as c&p...the lack of true c&p is one of my biggest peeves.
spectre686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/07/2009, 05:41 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by plessdude View Post

I found that amusing myself. Now apple is going to retaliate witht hat. They better fix that before that happens. I mean Apple makes better commercials than windows. If i didn't know anybetter, I would by a mac based on those commercials.
Oo Batman oO is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0