Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    What is the MSL and what is it used for?
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    ##GPS# also works on the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by pullingj View Post
    I can't believe I forgot to mention ##DEBUG# (##33284#). Another code that has been around for ever. This screen shows many useful items including signal strength which is RSSI value. this value is in db, so a "smaller" number is better. (-94 is stronger than -100).

Looking through it you actually have values called rx and tx power (in dbm). not sure what the difference between those and rssi value is.
    The difference between dB and dBm is really pretty simple. You already said what the difference was you just might not have realized the units that you were speaking of.

RSSI is a unitless number that is expressed as a ratio, thus the dB logarithmic scale. If I were a betting man the RSSI value that is shown on this screen would be a ratio of the received power versus the transmitted power in logarithmic scale. So basically RSSI is a multiplication factor that relates two numbers.

dBm however is the exact opposite, it is a unit based value. It directly relates to a measurable value specifically mW (milli-watts). 0 dBm = 1 mW. So as an example mine was showing -76 dBm which is equivalent to 2.5e-8 mW.

Sorry if you didn't really want to know; I just wanted to be able to help where I could since nothing else on these forums I can really contribute to. BTW I have a degree in Electrical Engineering and am an RF engineer so I kind of know what I'm talking about; only kind of though.
    isnt the MSL number tied to the ESN? I could have sworn there are converters out there i used under winmo which would pull it from the ESN HEX value.
    Quote Originally Posted by scoobdude View Post
    isnt the MSL number tied to the ESN? I could have sworn there are converters out there i used under winmo which would pull it from the ESN HEX value.
    no... msl is not computed from the esn... there are programs that can read those values from most cdma phones... both values are changeable using the right software, although it is illegal to change the esn. you may be thinking of the akey which can be computed...
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gjlowe View Post
    ##GPS# also works on the Pre.
    That's AWESOME! I wish they had this information available in the main O/S. Sort of just showing you a blip on a map, I couldn't find anywhere that listed the LAT/LON, altitude, direction and speed!

Thanks!
    Is there a comprehensive list of these codes somewhere? I know they may not all work on the Pre, but its worth a shot.
    Global Posts
    550 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by maxthesilent View Post
    Is there a comprehensive list of these codes somewhere? I know they may not all work on the Pre, but its worth a shot.
    Here is a list I pulled off everythingtreo.com

Code:
    #*#377#. Ever wondered if there was more to this than just showing the system error log? That’s the Verizon variant of the error log code, which is one of the many (and often times mysterious) hash codes that give you access to hidden features on your Palm device.

Please note: The function of some of these codes still remain a mystery to enthusiasts. A lot of them were discovered through trial and error (yes, we have a lot of time on our hands), and while the presence of some of these codes can be easily discovered this way, their purposes are often more difficult to understand. We have indicated some codes with which users should be particularly careful. Also, these codes have only been tested on Palm OS devices, so we cannot confirm nor deny their usability on Windows Mobile devices.

There are three parts to a hash code - the prefix, the code, and then the suffix.

1. The Prefix
    The first thing that needs to be determined before using hash codes is the prefix, which is a sequence of #’s and/or *’s, that you need to use. They vary by radio technology, and sometimes by carrier.

CDMA

* Verizon: #*#
        * Sprint: ##
        * Other CDMA: #*#

GSM

* All Carriers: #*

2. The Code

This is the second part of a hash code. The code is what determines which hidden function is toggled. The majority of these codes spell out a word or abbreviation, so it may be easier to remember ERR instead of 377. Note that ERR is not to be typed out on the QWERTY keyboard, but rather, on the on-screen keypad.

Commonly Used

Spells “ERR.” It displays the last error which caused a soft reset, what program was running, line number, etc.
          Spells “RTN.” This the Phone Information page. It tells you how many minutes the unit has on it, how much data has transpired, the warranty date, ESN, phone number, software and hardware revisions, refurbished status, etc. Note: Please be careful with the options in the pull-down menu.
          Spells “ON.” Turns on the radio.
          Spells “OFF.” Turns off the radio.

Others

Spells “DEBUG.” This is the CDMA phone info screen, which contains a bunch of technical data on your curent signal and tower connection. Signal strength is given as RSSI, which stands for Received Signal Strength Indicator. The closer to zero the RSSI value, the better the signal.
          Spells “HWTST.” This launches the Troubleshooter and allows you to perform a hardware test.
          Spells “EVDO.” Launches Network Settings to force RTT or EVDO. This is useful if you don’t have EVDO coverage and want to force 1xRTT to prolong battery life.
          Spells “DATA.” Allows you to log into data services.
          Spells “VPON.” Voice privacy enabled.
          Spells “VPOFF.” Voice privacy disabled.
          Spells “SIG.” Signal strength for select models only.
          Spells “SIGNAL.” Signal strength for select models only.
          Spells “TIME.” Displays the current date and time.
          Spells “LOCATION.” Displays GPS location data (does not seem to work).
          This will allow you to manually program the phone on Verizon devices. Use this if you are planning to sell your phone and don’t want the buyer to see your number. For non-Verizon devices, you need to substitute 000000 with your MSL code (provided by carrier).

Please exercise caution when using the following codes:

Spells “RADIO.” Shows radio software version.
          Spells “UPST.” Toggles software download (bootloader). Note: You may need to soft reset your phone after this command.
          Spells “AKEY.” Allows you to re-enter the 26-digit AKey on CDMA devices. Note: An incorrect AKey will deactivate the phone and you will need to contact technical support for the AKey.
          Spells “PREV.” Opens Mobile Protocol Revision menu.
          Spells “LOOPBACK.” Opens loopback calls menu.
          Spells “DIAG.” Toggles passthrough.
          Spells “PASS.” Turns on passthrough.
          Spells “PASSOFF.” Turns off passthrough.
          Spells “TETHERED.” Toggles tethered mode.
          Spells “8TRACEON.” Trace enabled. Note: You may need to soft reset your phone after this command.
          Spells “8TRACEOFF.” Trace disabled.
          Spells “2TRACEON.” Trace enabled. Note: You may need to soft reset your phone after this command.
          Spells “2TRACEOFF.” Trace disabled.
          Spells “79TRACEON.” Trace enabled. Note: You may need to soft reset your phone after this command.
          Spells “79TRACEOFF.” Trace disabled.
          Spells “PRI.” Allows you to reset the phone to factory settings. Note: This command can delete all data from your Treo. If you do not have recent backup, do not test this code! Do note that you may need to re-program your device and/or contact technical support for a new AKey after running this command.

3. The Suffix

There are two methods to initiate the hash code. The first method works on all devices. After you enter in the code, tap the Dial button on the screen. The second method works on most CDMA devices and is the method I prefer. It is a single # after the code, which is a bit more convenient because you won’t need to reach for the screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by rdgoeson4ever View Post
    I may be wrong, but I think you can get your msl# by dialing ##671648#. This is how a sprint tech talked me through configuration after porting my number.
    The above does not show your MSL.
    But if you call support and tell them you need to do a reset because your data is screwey, they will give you your MSL no problem.
    ##GPS# doesn't give anything when in airplane mode for me. I was indoors near a window where I have other Bluetooth GPS receivers that pick up a signal perfectly, so that could be a bad sign for people.

Also... um, isn't Sprint now legally required to give you the MSL if you ask, no matter what reason you want it?
    Global Posts
    550 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Also... um, isn't Sprint now legally required to give you the MSL if you ask, no matter what reason you want it?
    Says who?
    they gave it to me today, I ported my 3G number.
    Quote Originally Posted by PreGame View Post
    Says who?
    Says the FCC, I believe.
    I didn't have a problem getting my MSL. I just called a local Sprint store and asked the manager of the store. Just warned me that if I change the software set at all, and brough it in for service, they wouldn't fix it.
    I hope some evil genius is hiding away in the basement cracking the tethering capabilities... one can only wish.
    ( pre-wallpapers.com ) - Over 7000+ Wallpapers for your Palm Pre... Enjoy!
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    ##GPS# doesn't give anything when in airplane mode for me. I was indoors near a window where I have other Bluetooth GPS receivers that pick up a signal perfectly, so that could be a bad sign for people.
    I went into airplane mode and was able to get a fix in ##GPS#. Granted, I had just gotten a fix with the radios on a minute or two beforehand, so I don't know if that affected my results, but once I went into airplane mode, I still got a GPS fix.
    Here is a Hash Code post I made

hxxp://forums.precentral.net/palm-pre/183994-hash-codes-sprint.html

Sorry bout the "xx" cant post links yet, just replace with "tt"
    "These Things We Do, That Others May Live"
    Quote Originally Posted by corye View Post
    I went into airplane mode and was able to get a fix in ##GPS#. Granted, I had just gotten a fix with the radios on a minute or two beforehand, so I don't know if that affected my results, but once I went into airplane mode, I still got a GPS fix.
    Try restarting the phone in airplane mode, and see if you can get a fix that way, because I know that was an issue with the 800w.
    So how many of these codes have been found to be working for the Pre?
  20.    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by dtokarz View Post
    What is the MSL and what is it used for?
    Cell phones that do not use a SIM Card have the data programmed in to their memory. This data is accessed by using a special digit sequence to access the "NAM" as in "Name" or number programming menu. From here, one can add information such as a new number for your phone, new Service Provider numbers, new emergency numbers, change their Authentication Key or A-Key code, and update their Preferred Roaming List or PRL. However, to prevent someone from accidentally disabling their phone or removing it from the network, the Service Provider puts a lock on this data called a Master Subsidiary Lock or MSL. Which is why Sprint/Verizon doesn't tell just anyone their MSL unless there's a reason for it.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast