1.    #1  
    I was wondering if there was anything special I had to do to get the camera working before I tried to get my phone replaced. I click camera and then the camera image comes up and then it will flash a black screen for a second then go back to the camera image, and it keeps doing this constantly without every loading the picture. I'm assuming my camera is just broken but I wanted to verify that it should just work right away without doing anything =P
    First and for most, did you do the software update OTA?
  3.    #3  
    Yea, it didn't work before or after...
    I also reset the phone for kicks after trying after the update...
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    That may be a problem. You should have had a still image of the capture when you saw the black screen. I tested mine within minutes of activation.

just retested no black screen whatsoever.
  5.    #5  
    Yea I took it to Sprint and its a hardware issue. I typically end up with silly issues like this with my electronics so no surprise, doesn't sound like a wide spread issue, just crap luck on my part. They sold all of their phones and didn't keep any extras like they are supposed to for returns so I have to wait for the next batch to come in, but I'm first on this list.

They aren't sure when the first batch is going to come in though. Interesting note, apparently sprint isn't allowed to try and fix hardware issues, they can walk through steps to try to get the software to work but any physical issues have to be sent back to Palm directly. One annoying thing is the E-ticket system or whatever Sprint uses won't work because the phone is backordered. This seems kinda silly to me, the phone is new and I got a defective product but they can't put an E-ticket in to speed up a new phone to me because they're "backordered". Whatever though, the people were nice and put me at the front of the waiting list for a new phone, sent me home with my Pre and told me to bring all the charger and stuff back with me when I come back.

Edit --
    Another interesting thing on popularity, I would guess this store had about 40-50 Pre's and sold out by 11, and they have about 30 orders for more, and I live in Nebraska. Looks like the Pre is pretty popular!! Also, I don't know if I sounded pessimistic on what I said above, but my experience was great today, no complaints.
    Quote Originally Posted by Domali View Post
    Yea, it didn't work before or after...
    I also reset the phone for kicks after trying after the update...
    Same problem, same tests to fix, same failures here.

I'm going to wait a couple days to take my phone back. I've also got mad backlight bleed, and they turned me away saying "all the units have this"... So, I'll compile a laundry list, and then go get a replacement.
    Just waiting for the day my Pre has contacts grouping, and a "speed dial" for text messaging
    Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    Just happened to me, I just got my Pre 30 hours ago.
    Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    Called the Sprint store, no Pre's in right now, maybe this afternoon. Blah.
    Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    no pres, waiting until Monday at least
    Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    It took ten days, but I have my new Pre. I am part of the Pre returners and am now on #2, which hopefully will be my last for the next year or two. I have a camera that works, yay. Overall, things seem to be good. I started looking it over right away for pixels, blotches behind the screen. My only concern was the gap between the two phones halves. My 1st one was closer together, though still had some wiggle to it of course. This one has more of a gap on the right, which I asked right away if they would be able to tighten it up for me. This is where I found it funny, because the guy went to ask the techs and they said they had no idea how to do it because they have not had the chance to open a Pre up yet, since no one wantss to let them. They either don't want their new device messed with, or they do a straight return. So in the end they basically said they don't know how to tighten it up. I wanted to tell them to come to precentral to find out.

I will live with the screen though, It is actually the same as my wife's and not horrible. I will probably try to tighten it up some myself. As for my wife's phone, she returns hers tomorrow and will just get a Treo Pro instead of waiting for a Pre. She should have just gotten a Pro to begin with, I knew she wouldn't be happy with the Pre (that's just her style )
    PreCentralers,

I returned my Palm Pre 2 months ago because the camera application was opening itself at very random times without any prompting. Most of the time, it would occur when I woke my phone up i.e. directly after I dragged the icon out of the semi-circle when it was sleeping. This doesn’t happen everytime I repeat this action, but it is consistent enough that I am seeing it happen everyday.

Well, I have had my new Pre for 2 weeks, and the same thing is happening! The Sprint store claims they've never seen this problem. Based on its random reoccurrence, I am guessing this has something to do with some sort of combination of patches/apps/settings triggering the camera to load. Sometimes it loads when I place the phone on the touchstone...I have heard something about camera hardware melting into the phone's main board (forgive my lack of techincal savvy). Could I have a faulty touchstone that is overheating the phone? Anyway, this issue is incredibly frustrating...anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Charlie
    My camera does the flashing thing on launch, and my Sprint store has "never seen this before" either. it used to do this for maybe 3-5 minutes and then eventually load, but has gotten worse over time. Now it will flash the same loading screen repeatedly and never actually start, even OVERNIGHT. I've found a lot of posts about it online, all saying the fix is to replace it.

I have even tried uninstalling everything I added on, both apps/patches alike, and webdoctor 1.3.5.1 - doesn't fix it. I guess when i think about it, i've had most of the "extra" patches/apps installed on it since day one, and the cam WAS working during all of it...so it shouldnt be software-related.

I do keep good documentation of what is installed on my Pre, so when I get the new one tomorrow I will reinstall everything i added on to the old one. I'll give it a few days then post the results.
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    This is way out-dated now, but I just got a Pre 2 and was having the same camera issues mentioned above. The other day my battery died all the way and the phone shut off. When I turned it back on the camera was 100% functional again. Prior to this, the camera was non-functioning for a whole week.