Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    Maybe the ATT commercial is correct? More bars in more places

That was hilarious
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Sitting on the coach at home the Pre has an R and is roaming. Does this change my bill cost more $$$$?
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Does anyone actually know why phones dip from full to no EVDO at random without moving? Wouldn't something need to change to cause this?
    Quote Originally Posted by jacked View Post
    Does anyone actually know why phones dip from full to no EVDO at random without moving? Wouldn't something need to change to cause this?
    sometimes, it could be the phone software, firmware, cell location, prl, anything really.
    The phone will boost power to get a better signal.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    The weather, including highly localized, temporary conditions.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    I moved to the couch with the laptop - right next to giant windows and the balcony and I'm down to barely 1 bar 1x. Looks like as cool as this phone is it will be going back if the service doesn't change. Perhaps I will reconsider it when it eventually launches on ATT since there is no VZW service at my location on the strip either.
    I curious did you guys check the coverage maps before you bought the Pre . I wondering if the Pre got a weak RF reciever or you guys live in sucky coverage areas.
    Another thing to consider is that the Pre's ability to pull in a good signal may improve as they optimize performance via OTA updates.
    Global Posts
    238 Global Posts
    Are you guys actually checking the quality of the signal and not just going by the bar guestimate the phone does? I thought my Pre was doing worse than my old phone at home too, but when I actually tested it out playing around with voicemail and stuff while it was showing 0-1 bar, it didn't seem to break up at all, when my old one would break up at 3 bars a lot of times. I'll need to make more calls from home to be sure, but so far it seems a little better even though the bars don't indicate it. IF it does end up breaking up a lot, I'm going to complain to Sprint one last time before my 30 days are up and try and get the airwave out of them for free. No matter what phone of theirs I use, my property, and just my property, is a dead spot with Sprint. I couldn't even get them to give me the Airwave service (which shouldn't be a fee to start with) for free before if I was willing to buy the $100 device, even though I was out of contract, with no employee discount or anything. I mean my house is right in the middle of nothing but green on their advertised coverage map. I'm only asking them to help me stay a customer. I can pick up the Verizon towers awesome here, usually full bars. I'm tired of having to deal with not making calls from home. I was really hoping calling over wifi would be included for free on the Pre. That would have made everything so much simpler.
    well I don't know if you guys are aware but the Treo Pro has lowe signal then the 800w and the reason is to conserve battery life but once you make a phone call or start using the web the signals should go up, that's what palm phones have been doing latelly, I think its a set up in the phone to help battery life
    Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    I've been a Sprint customer since 1998 when I got my first subscription cell phone service in Tallahassee, Florida. After the initial 2-year commitment, I remained a customer - off contract - until I signed a new 2-year commitment when I purchased my Pre yesterday. I've been able to use my phone across the country, including FL (Leon, Dade, and Broward counties), NC (Fort Bragg area), NYC (all 5 Boroughs), NJ (Teaneck), DC, Northern VA, and traveled to just about every state in the Republic and in general have had very little service problems with Sprint. I've even picked up service in Montego Bay, Jamaica. Sure, I've had dropped calls here and there, and in some buildings it's a no-go completely, but I've noticed that many of my friends on various other cell phone carriers have had the same issue in some of those area. In some buildings, my phone works and they have no signal. In some places (like the metro here in DC), I have no signal but my Verizon friends do. Bottom line is that it all depends on where you live, and if you happen to be in a location where Sprint's signal is subpar or nonexistent, the choice seems pretty clear. I'm sure it's only a matter of time before this phone is available on all the big carriers. Palm would be stupid to do what Apple has done. Hell, a CDMA iPhone on Sprint would likely result in massive defections to the Sprint camp.

FWIW, it does appear from my limited use that my Pre seems to have a weaker signal than my Treo 650 in certain areas, and the phone does seem to be running hot, which may or may not be related to the signal issue. Overall though, and after 10+ years with Sprint, with about 7 years of uninterrupted non-contract time under my belt when I could have jumped ship for new phones exclusive to other carriers (like the iPhone), my overall experiences with Sprint, plus Sprint's superior data pricing plans have kept me in the fold, and generally happy. I should caveat all of this by saying that I use the data and PDA features of my phone far more than I do the actual telephone (averaging less than 200 minutes a month), and work in a job where my phone can't enter the building - which means that for the most part, Sprint is making a killing on me since my effective use is limited to weekends, personal travel, and a few hours after work each day.
    1st SFG (A)

if at first you don't succeed - RELOAD!
    Global Posts
    315 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    att sucks
    Here in Chicago I've had less dropped calls in the past 6 years (Sprint) than ever. I was on ATT and it was constantly dropping. Verizon has the same probs here.

I love watching the iPhone geeks *****ing about their call quality (the lack thereof) and the inability to get internet without wi-fi. Hahahahahahaha.

bj
    I am having similar problems. I have been with sprint and had great coverage and singal at my house, any room. I was talking on it multiple times yesterday when the call dropped, went to roaming, or person could not hear me. I hope it gets better, as Sprint had better service in my house then Verizon. I love the phone. Did anyone call Sprint about it?
    My neighborhood lies in a Verizon dead zone. I used to have to stand very still in certain spots in my apartment in order to make calls, and even then people would tell me that I kept cutting in and out. One time someone was calling me from OUTSIDE my apartment, and my phone never rang and never told me that I had missed several calls.

Cut to yesterday on the Pre. I talked about 20 minutes to my sister while sitting in my living room (which has been a bad location for calls on my Verizon cell phone), and she reported that the call quality was very good
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    I've definitely been noticing significant signal jumps on a pretty consistent basis. It will roll from 5 bars with EVDO to 2 bars without even 1x in a matter of seconds. Never had that issue before.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    When I got my Treo 700p about three years ago I was amazed at the signal strength. I was all ready to give up on Sprint here in N. Central Florida. But the Treo convinced me that phones did that hard work in pulling in the signal. My 755p was just as good if not better. Now comes the mighty Pre and we're talking Samsung again. Whassup with this?

Has anyone removed the battery cover? They got antennas all over the back of this thing. Something's up. Where's upgrade 1.1?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12