Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    Add me to the group that likes the idea of turning the center button into a customizable notification light. There are a lot of ideas like this I hope eventually get addressed in patches.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    I say no to having the center button unlock the phone. I put the phone in my pocket or maybe a belt holster at times ..don't need it coming on accidentally. But i do like the ideal of it being a notification LED.

The center button is great, because I would get tired of constantly backing out of web pages to get to my dashboard or backing out of apps several times. When ever you want to turn the app that you are currently using into a card, just hit the center button. Works great for me!

So that is what the center button is for ..to turn a app into a card.
    Last edited by nitussi; 06/09/2009 at 05:57 AM.
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by akula34 View Post
    Option. I prefer the button in the upper right. Reminds me of the Treo 600!
    I agree, not because of nostalgia, but because the button protrudes I think it should be an option, if at all.

The top right button is better for me.
    I feel like the center button is useless And I'm against it turning the screen on period.
    Just gets in the way of doing full length swipes.

An up swipe does the transition to card view, a down swipe SHOULD transition out of card view.
    That's a horrible idea, as that button would get pressed while in your pants, a purse, etc, draining the battery even faster.

Is pressing the power button too much of a task?

Now, I do wish the center button where a scrolling ball, similar to the Blackberry. It would make navigating forms much easier, selecting text and scrolling through pages and/or open cards.
    Quote Originally Posted by kaze0 View Post
    I feel like the center button is useless And I'm against it turning the screen on period.
    Just gets in the way of doing full length swipes.

An up swipe does the transition to card view, a down swipe SHOULD transition out of card view.
    I agree. I maximize and minimize cards using gestures...and this button just gets in my way when I am swiping "back". It seems like a helpful feature on day one...and then you figure out the gestures and stop using it on day two.
    IIIx -> Tungsten T -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Launch day Pre
    Sometimes when the screen is off, I open the keyboard, press the space bar..and nothing happens. screen still black. Press the power button - still black. Close/reopen/close/reopen..wait....

Randomly - the screen turns back on....

What the heck???
    Pushing the center button should set the 5 second self destruct timer.
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    I agree, I never use the stupid button, it just feels awkward getting in the way making back gestures, and it'd be nice to have the option to have it turn on.
    I was going to make a new thread but then I found this. Yes this thread is nearly half a year old, but I'm not the only one who wants this feature! the power button is a flimsy piece of hardware that is out of the way. At least provide us the option of choosing what ways we can turn our phone on, the center button seems logical enough since our phones won't unlock by themselves even if the center button is accidentally pressed
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    I say remove the button and have it flash for notifications below the gesture screen.
    If the power button wasn't so craptastic on this phone, then I wouldn't care. If we were just given an option, like the others said, it would be a nice little improvement.
    Quote Originally Posted by brandoncjr View Post
    I was going to make a new thread but then I found this. Yes this thread is nearly half a year old, but I'm not the only one who wants this feature! the power button is a flimsy piece of hardware that is out of the way. At least provide us the option of choosing what ways we can turn our phone on, the center button seems logical enough since our phones won't unlock by themselves even if the center button is accidentally pressed
    I agree 100% that even if pushed in a pocket or whatnot youd still have to unlock the phone....so the need to use this button to awaken a phone is a must have
    I also think any future Pre 2 should make the center button flush w the phone itself, so that there is no interference when gesturing
    Global Posts
    206 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by phantomette View Post
    I agree 100% that even if pushed in a pocket or whatnot youd still have to unlock the phone....so the need to use this button to awaken a phone is a must have
    I also think any future Pre 2 should make the center button flush w the phone itself, so that there is no interference when gesturing
    This.

I almost never use the center button. If I had my drothers I would just get rid of it, streamline the entire face of the device. Or find something useful for it to do, like turn on the screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by cfbauer View Post
    This.

I almost never use the center button. If I had my drothers I would just get rid of it, streamline the entire face of the device. Or find something useful for it to do, like turn on the screen.
    +1
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    how bout hold for like 2 seconds to turn on?
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    haha I'm surprised there is no patch for this yet.
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    led notifications is already a patch for all those wishing for a visual display of an awaiting message while the screen is off. personally i think it would be a great idea to have the button turn the screen on, or at least have the option. i think it would only present a small problem for those of us with cases. for those without cases, the button is fairly hard to press accidentally.. unless you have other stuff in the same pocket as your pre.. and who does that? lol. i'm really surprised that the webOS-internals group hasn't made this happen yet. apparently it must be difficult as there are many other threads expressing this same 'want' which has yet to be fulfilled.. in due time i do believe that this will become an option.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    I too would like to have the option to use center button to wake up the phone. You would still have to swipe up to unlock the phone. Many owners use a case for their Pre, and the power button is pretty hard to press or reach with case. So having the option to press center button to wake up phone would really be a welcome feature for many.

Even if you accidentally pressed the center button to wake up phone, if you don't unlock it, screen will turn off in 5 seconds anyway. So no big deal or risk really.

Hope there will be a homebrew patch for this option. There is a patch request thread, post there if you are interested in having this patch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mpre View Post
    haha I'm surprised there is no patch for this yet.
    seriously
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast