Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    using it as a notification as others have said would be fancy! think about it, phone sitting there on the table across the room and the light is slowly lighting up and dimming because of a missed call or message, like its beathing....

oohhhh I like.
    I disagree. The button protrudes, and it would be easy to hit by mistake when pocketed. This would cause unwelcome battery drain.

-n8
    I think a double tab to open the screen would be nice.
    I agree 100%. Without having read the manual, like most geeks, my first instinct was that touching the center button would turn the screen on. This is what designers call the "principle of least suprise". Palm failed here. If you use the up gesture, and especially if you have the advanced gesture for fast app switching on, the center button is absolutely useless. It is just a speedbump in the gesture area. Kind of disappointing. Hopefully next webOS update will let you customize this.
    Global Posts
    412 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    It would run down the battery even if the phone was still locked. Everytime your pocket pressed the button it would light up for a few seconds and over time this would kill the battery.
    Exactly.

In its current function, does the button really serve ANY purpose? LOL.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade? -Trent Reznor
    +1 on using the button to activate the screen. Make it a switchable preference. I don't often put my phone in my pocket, so I'm not concerned about that, but it sounds like others are.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    yeah that button is pretty much useless
    Quote Originally Posted by testament View Post
    yeah that button is pretty much useless

I agree that the phone could do without it. However I still find myself using it to go back sometime. Using it as a message light when the display is off would be nice as long as it's impact on the battery isn't too severe.

-n8
    Turn it into a notification light like others have said and allow one to customize the operation of the button with the next update to webOS.

I do agree that mapping the button to turn on the screen will be dreadful for those who carry it in their pockets/purses. I'd go for an elongated press...maybe 2 seconds or more to reduce (not eliminate) those off-on-off moments that will drain the battery.

Also, I'd love for it to turn on the LED flash after a 3 sec push & hold for those dark nights when you are fumbling with your keys and youre not dorky enough to have a mini flashlight on your keychain already!
    Global Posts
    133 Global Posts
    I put my phone in my cargo pants pocket, which is just large enough for the phone to fit. I think the button powering up the screen lock would drain the battery. It should be made customizable though.
    Quote Originally Posted by miles4000 View Post
    If you have the keyboard down you can hit the space key to turn back on the screen.
    You can hit any of the keyboard keys to turn the screen on!
    Quote Originally Posted by kevhead View Post
    using it as a notification as others have said would be fancy! think about it, phone sitting there on the table across the room and the light is slowly lighting up and dimming because of a missed call or message, like its beathing....

oohhhh I like.
    That would look very cool, but on the Centro, having the LED set to blink (with a third-party app as notification to an alert) was a huge battery drain. Having it steady (not blinking, just staying on) drains less battery.
    +1000 (can I do that?) on the center button being a notification light.

I cannot stand being able to look at my phone and see if I have any messages. I missed an emergency VM late this afternoon at work because I used the bathroom, came back to my office, and didn't think to turn the Pre on and look at the screen to see if I had any notifications.

What i would really like is a "Butler-like" configuration...where I could configure the various notification lights for a range of patterns to indicate in some order of priority:

- New voice mail
    - New missed call
    - New email
    - New text message

...with:

- User-selectable patterns/pulse rates for each of the above
    - Times of day during which the light was in effect (like butler)

...PLEEEEEEEEEEEESE!
    IIIx -> Tungsten T -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Launch day Pre
    It is too bad Palm didn't put different colored LEDs under that button, then you could have one color for missed calls, one color for text messages, and one color for e-mails!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bag of Leaves View Post
    It is too bad Palm didn't put different colored LEDs under that button, then you could have one color for missed calls, one color for text messages, and one color for e-mails!
    oh yeah now that would've been nice! multicolored led. damn! good thinkin'
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dookie View Post
    I actually agree with you here, the button seems to be really useless, especially if you use all of the available gestures. They should just update it and let you assign the button to whatever you want.
    I agree and in the next version, make it a scroll wheel or something useful, so I can navigate within text with it. Gestures are not the greatest for this.
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    +1 for,

+ Notification light - maybe pulse for how many notifications you have waiting. 3 pulses = 3 notifications
    + They should have made it a TRACKBALL (Blackberrys)
    + Wake up
    + anything really besides what it does now.
    As a former Palm Treo 755P owner, I have a really sticky habit of pressing the center button to unlock. I am completely in agreement with this suggestion.
    Quote Originally Posted by weboslawyer View Post
    To everyone saying the phone will accidently turn on... I thought thats what the screenlock was for. I doubt your pocket will magically press the button and then slide the lock to unlock the screen.

Clearly there is interest for both sides of this issue, which means... it needs to be an option ASAP. lol
    Yes, the protruding center button activate the screen lock which means, guess what, the screen would be activated. And there you have your unwanted battery drain. I do agree though that Palm should allow us to program this button to do what we want. I am confident they will do this in upcoming updates.
    Agree on this one
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast