Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    Well I got to the store in time and was ready to pull the trigger and then realized the Pre won't go to landscape for either Google Maps or Sprint Navigation. Is this an old firmware thing or is this for real? I use Nav enough that if this is not going to go to landscape, I'll be going to iPhone.

Tell me I'm doing something wrong, please!!!

I had to walk out without the Pre until this question is addressed by you experts.
    Quote Originally Posted by 180to650 View Post
    Well I got to the store in time and was ready to pull the trigger and then realized the Pre won't go to landscape for either Google Maps or Sprint Navigation. Is this an old firmware thing or is this for real? I use Nav enough that if this is not going to go to landscape, I'll be going to iPhone.

Tell me I'm doing something wrong, please!!!

I had to walk out without the Pre until this question is addressed by you experts.
    why you have 30 days to return it
    Wait... I'm confused. You use Nav often, but for some reason need it to be landscape (not sure why, portrait works just as well as far as I'm concerned), so you're going to switch to a device without Navigation?
    Google maps does not work in portrait mode on the iPhone FYI, nor does it give turn by turn directions.
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    If its true that there no landscape in Nav then thats just lazy. Hell my helio Ocean does that. Not to mention it had some other things standard on it that seem to lack on the pre...
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Wait... I'm confused. You use Nav often, but for some reason need it to be landscape (not sure why, portrait works just as well as far as I'm concerned), so you're going to switch to a device without Navigation?
    iPhone 3.0 software adds turn-by-turn directions
    And 3.0 isn't officially out yet, there's no Nav programs being sold yet on it, and regardless of whether it's Telenav, TomTom, or Garmin, you'd have to pay a lot of money for it (Telenav is $10 per month on anything other than Sprint, TomTom and Garmin have usually been a flat rate of $200 or so in the past.)
    Why do you need turn by turn in landscape?

I mean, most people would rather see further in front of them than further on each side, and it's not like you couldn't just zoom out/in to accomplish the same thing.

And finally, nearly every car mount for this type of product holds the phone in a portrait orientation.
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    You don't perceive a benefit of using more of the beautiful new screen while in Navigation mode? So, why have landscape for browsing then?
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    Don't have to return it - I didn't buy it.
    You don't perceive a benefit of using more of the beautiful new screen while in Navigation mode? So, why have landscape for browsing then?
    Web Browsing != Navigation.

Now then, is there a legit reason to use navigation in landscape or is it just your preference?
    I have to agree entirely with hypocaffeinemia. It's much more useful to me when driving to see more of what's in front of me than more to the sides, that's part of why I made my first comment.
    While it might be nice to have as an option, it isn't a deal-breaker for me.
    Because browsing needs the extra width of landscape.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Geez, you guys are getting bad.
    All I can say is wow.... otherwise people will say I'm mean .
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    I'll chime in that this seems insanely nitpicky, especially considering all of the above points that have been mentioned:
    a) the iPhone doesn't have navigation and has not had any navigation products announced for it
    b) even for the phones that AT&T has that do support navigation, AT&T doesn't have any plans that include it ($10/mo extra)
    c) Google maps on the iPhone doesn't work in landscape view (just double checked to verify this)
    d) how is seeing what's to the side of you more important than seeing where you're going?
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    To everyone that asks why have it in landscape mode I say that sometimes if you want to plan your own route its useful to see all around you instead of a narrow corridor. AND Its personal preference. Why have the ability to do it and not put it to use? It wont keep me from getting the phone but it does make one wonder.
    Quote Originally Posted by hypocaffeinemia View Post
    Why do you need turn by turn in landscape?

I mean, most people would rather see further in front of them than further on each side,
    +1 Garmin and others charge extra for their widescreen models, and I've never seen the benefit.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    +1 Garmin and others charge extra for their widescreen models, and I've never seen the benefit.

+2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast