Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    After stalking the Pre for the last 6 months, I went over to a not too crowded Sprint store to check out the Pre in person. The unit had no battery power so I couldn't test the software.

Note, I have an old flip phone, and do not use any form of Smart Phone nor have I ever used one.

The good:
    Unit is really great looking!! I love the size and shape and weight!

The bad:
    The keyboard is ATROCIOUS for me. Minuscule is the best word for it, and the keys are not even tactilely distinguishable. I had to use the edge of my thumbs just to try and type on it and my thumbs kept bumping into each other as I tried to touch type on the keyboard it's that small!

In comparison, a Blackberry Curve I tried out a day ago (also for the first time ever) I had absolutely no problems using the keyboard and it didn't feel so awkward and uncomfortable. An iphone I used for 1 month also was better for me as it had software that corrected what I typed as I typed.

My only hope is maybe the typing was better than I thought but I couldn't tell because the unit was not powered.

I am PISSED!!! What a HUGE disapointment! New iPhones Monday, likely have to go that way now.
  2.    #2  
    hmm, wow I thought this was not approved
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    To each his own. I love the keyboard. I never typed emails on my old phone, Touch Diamond, but I think I am going to start doing that now. I was able to type fast right out of the box. The Curve much wider phone, hence the bigger keyboard.

Also, how long has RIM been making Curves and how many years has the Blackberry OS been on the market? Don't expect everything to be perfect on day one.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    I'm loving the keyboard. Making few if any mistakes and typing much faster and more accurate than on my touch diamond. I was worried about the keyboard but I love it, and I have big thumbs. To each their own
    Global Posts
    20,078 Global Posts
    Keyboard is good to me and I have a Bold and iPhone in front of me. How was it not charged? Sprint stores should have had it on a touchstone!
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    Works fine for me. Its my first smart phone and I love the keyboard.

I really should of known better than to click on a Searchable thread though.
    I think the key phrase here is, "Learning Curve".
    Global Posts
    733 Global Posts
    So far i've had an easy time typing on my pre
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikest View Post
    Works fine for me. Its my first smart phone and I love the keyboard.

I really should of known better than to click on a Searchable thread though.
    Yea +1
    I have to disagree I have no problems typing with the keyboard. I'm coming from a on screen keyboard
    Quote Originally Posted by haydur View Post
    Also, how long has RIM been making Curves and how many years has the Blackberry OS been on the market? Don't expect everything to be perfect on day one.
    I haven't tried it yet, so I can't comment on whether the keyboard is good or bad. But I would like to point out that the keyboard is totally independent of the OS, and Palm has been making smartphones with keyboards for quite some time. I do expect the keyboard to be good and will be disappointed if I think it's not.
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    Curve keyboard vs Pre's? I can't even understand how people can make comparisons like yours. LOOK AT CURVE"s SIZE AND FORM FACTOR VS. PRE's. Width, screen size, weight, pocketability, form factor, other features. You can't have everything in one package. Palm has to make trade offs. Your comparison is like comparing 12 inch entertainment notebook or netbook's keyboard to a 15 inch business laptop's. Or saying Curve sucks because its screen is smaller than iphone.
    SO far loving the Pre's Keyboard.
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    After reading all the early reviews, I have to say, I was definitely scared how the keyboard would be but since I have been using it for the last day, I have had absolutely no problems with the keyboard. I am coming from a blackberry curve and I think I can type just as fast on the Pre as I can on my curve. I didn't even really notice any "adjustment" period.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash1348 View Post
    Curve keyboard vs Pre's? I can't even understand how people can make comparisons like yours. LOOK AT CURVE"s SIZE AND FORM FACTOR VS. PRE's. Width, screen size, weight, pocketability, form factor, other features. You can't have everything in one package. Palm has to make trade offs. Your comparison is like comparing 12 inch entertainment notebook or netbook's keyboard to a 15 inch business laptop's. Or saying Curve sucks because its screen is smaller than iphone.
    Not hardly. I have held a Curve 8330 next to a Pre yesterday, and the size isn't that much different, but yet you can really see how Palm making the keyboard the way they did is a problem for typing. You've got to remember that we are human beings with fingers and hands that can't shrink. There is a limit to how small devices can be without crossing a line where they are no longer as usable as something just slightly larger.

Palm could have really made a winner here had they made the keyboard and device slightly larger. Doing so would have also probably made room for an SD storage option which would have made much more sense as well. Well, actually they would have had to improve the PIM applications and many other things too to make it a winner, but the size of the device would have really helped.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    I'm loving the keyboard. Making few if any mistakes and typing much faster and more accurate than on my touch diamond. I was worried about the keyboard but I love it, and I have big thumbs. To each their own
    Exactly!!! I hardly make any typos using the Pre keyboard. I had an Instinct for a couple of months and spent MUCH more time correcting typos.
    I don't have a Pre, but a few Treos before. Said that, and watching photos with Centro and Pre near, I can say this keyboard is light years ahead from any onscreen keyboard, and at equal with blackberry's ones. Just one day getting used.

Being a longtime time Palm fan (XE>Kyocera>Treo 650>Treo 700p), I held off from December when my contract was up with a SERO plan for Treo700p to purchase the promise of Pre. When I found out the SERO plan could not be used for the Pre (and for that matter any new Sprint phone), I would suck it up and wait for the Pre and sign a new contract, double cost of my old plan!

I was at Best Buy Mobile by 10am when it opened, salivating over the Pre and WebOS. Then I finally got my hands on the Pre and I was overwhelming disappointed in the keyboard. I thought it would be better than a Centro but in my opinion it is not. Certainly not the keyboard that is on my 700p! If Palm doesn't get a higher end keyboard, like RIM and HTC (except for the Pro) in future WebOS devices (EOS/Pixie/Castle or other future models), I predict they will forfeit a lot of market potential.

I have had no problems with Sprint in 4+ years, but I have to look at iPhone, G1, and BB Bold/Curve. Their keyboards were better I tried them out yesterday. Oh well....

PS By the way BBM was sold out in the first 15 minutes.
    As a Centro owner, the Keyboard is fine. I have other issues, but this was a good compromise in my opinion. The software keyboard will come shortly for sure.
    I only got to play with the keyboard for a little bit. I found it fine. It was nice (but I am coming from a centro....so.......)
    Anyway, I am more concerned about the lag of opening the calendar app......
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast