Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By tspine
  1.    #1  
    I have Palm Desktop version 6.2.2 on a Windows XP system. The DTA transferred my contacts successfully, but only my contacts. It didn't transfer my calendar entries, or even more importantly for me, my memos.

Anyone get DTA to transfer memos from Palm Desktop?

--Tom
    I had the exact problem today, and was getting ready to try the transfer yet again, when, lo and behold, after about 45 mins my Tasks and Memo's suddenly showed up! I think what's happening is the data is NOT being transferred directly to the phone, but rather to the Palm Backup server, which (likely under a heavy load today) needs some time to actually sync to the phone. Give it a little more time and see what happens.
  3.    #3  
    I spent almost an hour and a half on the phone with Palm support to solve my problem.

They first had me delete all of the data on the Pre (via the Reset in Device Info), and run the DTA all over again. Nothing changed -- my contacts, calendar, and tasks transferred, but not my memos.

Then, after lots of time elapsed, they finally had me do this: in Palm Desktop, I selected all my memos, copied them, created a new Palm Desktop profile, and pasted the memos into the new profile. Then I ran DTA again against that new profile. Bingo, that worked!

Now my only problem is the utterly useless design of the memo application! I have nearly 200 memos that were nicely categorized into dozen or so categories. But the Pre memo app looks like eye candy crap to me -- I can see just 12 "yellow post its" on a corkboard at one time? No categories? No more compact view for lots of data? WTF? FAIL.
    milang likes this.
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    Yup, data transferred, but all my categories were lost.
    Global Posts
    258 Global Posts
    I can't get Palm Desktop nor Palm Hot Sync to see my Pre...
    I can't even get Data Transfer Assistant to work... it tells me to hook up the Pre to my computer and hit the USB Mode button on the phone, but the "Next" button is still grayed out and unclickable so I can't get to the next step.

I'm using Windows 7 beta (gonna be installing the RC soon) with Outlook 2007. Tried to run the DTA program in all sorts of compatibility modes as well and still nothing.

I guess I'll wait until PocketMirror or Missing Sync comes out for PC.
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnt Toast View Post
    I can't even get Data Transfer Assistant to work... it tells me to hook up the Pre to my computer and hit the USB Mode button on the phone, but the "Next" button is still grayed out and unclickable so I can't get to the next step.

I'm using Windows 7 beta (gonna be installing the RC soon) with Outlook 2007. Tried to run the DTA program in all sorts of compatibility modes as well and still nothing.

make sure the Pre is actually showing up as a USB mass storage device
    Quote Originally Posted by X1011 View Post
    make sure the Pre is actually showing up as a USB mass storage device
    It is. It even shows up in My Computer as an HD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnt Toast View Post

The button was always gray for me - but worked just fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by kshiflett View Post
    The button was always gray for me - but worked just fine.
    ... but you can't click it then?
    Well I had the Next button gray-ed out problem. I was using my work computer (win XP). I switched to my home Win XP PC (after I loaded Palm desktop 6.2, loaded the Data Transfer Assistant software and then the Next button was active.

I have my contacts but not my Cal or Memos. I guess I'll wait an hour to see if they show up down from the cloud. If not I guess I try checking with palm.
    I have tried to make DTA do its work for days now.

I have reverted to import my contacts via exporting them from Palm Desktop, and then importing them to Google Contacts. From there the Pre sees them fine.

So that's OK.

My puzzle is, during a DTA transfer I can do the steps and everything SEEMS to work. But in the end when I should get the option on the Pre, where I want to bind the data to... Nothing happens. And nothing actually gets transferred.

I have tried the above mentioned tip with my memos. But it doesn't work either. Nothing gets imported, even if I have a Palm Desktop user with only my memos (287 of them).

I really need them on my Pre.

But what really is bugging me is - are my data safe on this device. I have not seen the important notice that I bind my data to one account. So I really am not sure that it is backed up on any of my providers (or my Palm Profile for that matter). I will do some testing to that effect.

Thanks for your inspiration.

PS. I tried the Chat support at Palm's website but neither in Internet Explorer nor in FireFox I couldn't get it to work at all. Very bad PALM - I'm so disappointed.