Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by OLD_HATCH View Post
    Well

What can I say after looking at my Pre over for almost 2 hours and checking every setting etc it just seems "Not finished"

I mean all the built in apps are pretty crappy as far as usability compared to the old Palm OS stuff.

The only thing better so far is the calander. tasks, memos, and even camera seem featureless compared to the old Pam stuff

On top of that the sliding mechanism is pretty hard as of today, but hopefully that will change.

Yeah the web browser is better and sprint navigation is nice, but even the old Phone app on my 755 is better

I want to point out that I dont put my life in the "CLoud". I dont have 3-5 email acounts etc to keep track of. I dont twitter or facebook or any of those.One thing I like about my 755p is that even without a data connection its still usefull. I'm hoping the apps pick up and same becomes of the Pre.

Am I crazy here or does anyone else feel the same?
    Yep! I'm hearing ya!
    Quote Originally Posted by searchable View Post
    Agree. And the keyboard SUCKS!!!! WOW I am SOOO disappointed, I really wanted this to be as great as I hoped.
    Happy that I am not the only one here. What say you, MSG, or whatever your name is?
    Nice response.

Well me and several other people in the sprint store all felt the same way -- looked and felt it, then turned to each other and said WTF? Keyboard is just lousy. Looks and feels like a toy keyboard where the entire keyboard is the button, and not the individual keys. Yuck. Guess you are just very skilled with your thumbs, but I had to really focus in order to find the right key.

The hardware reviews were spot on. Keyboard is lousy, software is great.

Great points. Don't worry about those attacking your intelligence just because you are not satisfied with the pre.
    The folks who respond this way are just very upset and defensive that EVERYONE isn't as satisfied with the pre as they are. Some people are very easy to please.
    Others have higher standards. That's basically what it comes down to. I understand exactly what you are saying here, believe me. I had the same experience in the sprint store today.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    I agree that the built in applications are not as well thought out as on the original Palm OS. As an example, I used to keep many memos for each job I was working on. Each group of memos related to a certain job had their own category to keep them together. The new memo app on the Pre has no such function. I also miss having a few favorite buttons on the phone application for frequently called numbers. I've killed off too many brain cells to memorize a speed dial button "What was H again? Home? Harold? Honey? awww forget it." Go ahead and tell me that third party apps will take care of these things. I just think that Palm should have thought of it in the factory apps.
    Sorry but the keypad was a big miss....

Get rid of the slider crap keypad and put a on screen keypad!

I really wanted to like this device but the keypad was a waste of space.
    Agree with you on this. A lot of the complaints I've read through in this thread have been known issues or complaints for quite a while now, hence there's threads on a majority of the issues. So people need to do their homework before buying instead of buying then complaining about issues that should've helped you make your decision beforehand.

Things like the BT stack sucking, low ringer and things like that I could see being things to complain about in a thread like this. The PIM, notes and tasks, downloading from the browser and such have been extensively covered and you should've known about them going into it.

I know straight up that I'll be disappointed about the PIM, notes and downloading right off the back and hope those issues will get addressed.

Docs To Go was also a very known thing. Viewing only for free with a paid version to edit. So deal with it. If you're going to rant, bring something to the table that doesn't show a complete lack of research and understanding.

And to compare certain things to the current iphone just doesn't make sense for a 1.0 product. Sure there should be some things they learned from the iphone, but the rest will come in time. I hope things come in time. They seriously need to un-dumb the entire PIM section. Definitely a step back when used to PalmOS.

Quote Originally Posted by realistdreamer View Post
    Dear OLD,

Why did you buy the phone again? All the issues you raise were known at least weeks ago. Palm didn't spend to much time developing the functionality of these apps, but trust me, it shouldn't be difficult. You may have to pay good money though. The hardware is fine and although not as sturdy, much more useablee than iPhone.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
  7.    #107  
    wow some of you guys are really defensive!

lol

Being a long time Palm OS user coming to the new and improved Web OS PRE is I guess what makes a difference. If your coming at this new and fresh then you wouldnt notice these things.

Yes I did my research before purcasing and knew about some of the shortcomings, BUT the reality feels worse than what was reported. (at least in my case)

Again for all you getting your panties in a bunch, I like the Pre and hope to see good things come out of it.

Palm already knew what to do and how to implement it so logically this being the step up from the old OS we would see improved upon apps. This sadly is not the case.

Take the calendar on the Pre, this is a logical next step coming from the old Palm OS. Contacts and the photos application as well. Then you look at things like tasks, memos, calc, music and just alot of simple settings that make things easy are completely missing or downgraded.

Also is it me or does the screen tapping seem a little off as far as registering screen taps?

On a positive note Bluetooth paired and played music well with both my Jabra BT8040 and Acura RL.
    Wow, so surprised to hear people hating on the keyboard. It's fine for me, and I've used a Treo 650 and 755 extensively. The keys are spaced a little closer together, but I'll live. The rubbery feeling is alright, after you type on it for a few minutes they get covered in finger oil and get slick. Tactile feedback isn't bad, a little more subtle than the 650 and 755, but by no means horrible!
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    I would imagine that you would have a hard time on the keyboard if

a) you had severe motor skill issues

and/or

b) HAM FINGERS LOL
    Nice try. Stop drinking the kool-aid, take off the rose colored sunglasses, and take a cold hard dose of reality.
    Quote Originally Posted by danmosk View Post
    I really want to love this phone I switched from VZW 755p for the Pre. But i find the OS slow (I loved how on the Palm OS you press a button and the app is loaded and ready) I sync a very large exchange calendar - I live in my calendar all day and email and I am finding the refresh from day to day really slow. I don't like that I don't have a d-pad to move the cursor.

My take away is the same with my experiment with the iPhone - it great at all the things I don;t need it for (music, web browsing, apps) but slow and clumsy with all the things I rely on every day (calendar, email and phone).

Now what - do I go back to VZW and the 755p (it is calling to me from my desk)? do I try iPhone 3.0 (ATT doesn't get reception in my house)?

I WANTED to love the Pre!
    Go buy a BlackBerry 8330 with Sprint (you can get a used one for not too much), then wait a couple months and supposedly the new BlackBerry Tour is coming out to Sprint. It is basically a smaller version of the Bold.
    I will just say that before I even completely understood what the CLOUD really was, google had me living in it right under my nose! I think this may be the difference in usability factor. If you don't really rely too much on cloud apps this phone might not be for you. Brings to mind the leaked internal Sprint (Palm?) document concerning selling to the wrong customers.
    Wow, I find the keyboard awful. It looks like they wanted a keyboard and threw in the smallest one they could find. The keys have no tactile separation so I couldn't tell what key my thumb was pressing on. It's MINISCULE as well. Two finger typing the thumbs kept bumping into each other on the keyboard because it took so long to tell what keyboard key I was pressing.

In comparison, picked up a Curve, and instantly had none of these problems on it.

I am just sooo disapointed, I have wanted the Pre to be great! Oh well, will have to wait for the next set of hardware for WebOs

What was Palm thinking???
    I, and many others here, like the keyboard very much. This is my first smart phone and I am already typing almost as fast as on a normal PC keyboard. I think Palm thought this through very well. I'm sure others on this board would agree with me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    Usually I respect the opinion of other people, but in this case, no. You're dumb.
    Seriously?
    Quote Originally Posted by mbaker911 View Post
    I agree that the built in applications are not as well thought out as on the original Palm OS. As an example, I used to keep many memos for each job I was working on. Each group of memos related to a certain job had their own category to keep them together. The new memo app on the Pre has no such function. I also miss having a few favorite buttons on the phone application for frequently called numbers. I've killed off too many brain cells to memorize a speed dial button "What was H again? Home? Harold? Honey? awww forget it." Go ahead and tell me that third party apps will take care of these things. I just think that Palm should have thought of it in the factory apps.
    No kidding. I agree completely. Did you also notice how lousy the task manager is? It's almost like this device is a mirror image of how many of the 18-24 year olds in our country are: Devoid of substance. All show, no go. Too much Twitter, FaceBook, and other stuff and not enough down to business features that can actually make a person more efficient at their job and in their personal life.
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterB View Post
    No kidding. I agree completely. Did you also notice how lousy the task manager is? It's almost like this device is a mirror image of how many of the 18-24 year olds in our country are: Devoid of substance. All show, no go. Too much Twitter, FaceBook, and other stuff and not enough down to business features that can actually make a person more efficient at their job and in their personal life.
    And what exactly are these "business features" you speak of? Like there's a "consumer" way of checking email and a separate "business" way of checking email and such. . . That's just one example, what else you got?
    What I find surprising, Palm had LOTs of time to add polish to the factory apps... yet they didn't? I wonder if they just are running so low on cash they needed to just get something out there and hope they sell enough to keep in business long enough to polish?
    Quote Originally Posted by testament View Post
    why does everyone think the keyboard sucks? i think its amazing, i have no problem typing up emails and texts.
    it's great for a pre teen.. anyone one with an adult hand will have problems,
    Quote Originally Posted by shawnfb View Post
    it's great for a pre teen.. anyone one with an adult hand will have problems,
    You must be a caveman.
    Quote Originally Posted by prochobo View Post
    You must be a caveman.
    Or you must have really small limbs... which you know what they say about small limbs...
    Try using your Pre for a few weeks and then going back to your old phone. You'll probably hate your old phone after that.
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast