Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Badandy127 View Post
    To be honest, the OP does seem dumb, meyerweb. People have different requirements, but this guy bought a device that was hyped and advertised (and is) as a cloud computing device and then gets upset because he doesn't like the whole idea of the cloud. That's moronic.

As a previous poster said, you don't buy a two seater coupe for a family of 8 and then complain that it doesn't have 8 seats.
    Let's not get into what qualifies as dumb, as the original poster did not say that the cloud was the problem. The poster said the cloud wasn't much of a concern - negative OR positive.

The issues that WERE problematic were, therefore, not offset by the wonders of the cloud.

You missed something there. I'm not going to say that makes YOU dumb. Sometimes, it's just a matter of interpretation - or lack of sleep on Pre release day.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    Let's not get into what qualifies as dumb, as the original poster did not say that the cloud was the problem.

You missed something there.

Quote Originally Posted by OLD_HATCH

I want to point out that I dont put my life in the "CLoud". I dont have 3-5 email acounts etc to keep track of. I dont twitter or facebook or any of those.One thing I like about my 755p is that even without a data connection its still usefull.
    This guy doesn't do anything online and barely realizes that you can do everything on the Pre even without a data connection. He provides no substantive criticisms, such as SPECIFIC things he can't do. He admits he's not the target user, then proceeds to bash the phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by galavanter View Post
    I can't hear it ring. Ringer volume is inexcusably low. I think I will start a thread about that. Forget using the alarm app in the morning. I can't see it (Treocentral mobile site for example, you were right Mobileman) It took an hour and a half to buy it after getting in (that took another hour and a half). The guy transferred my contacts I thought (turns out 9 out of hundreds). He tells me I HAVE to buy a "bundle", meaning case and car charger. I started to get loud and he backed off (I'd been up all night). It doesn't open answer or close end call. The mic should be in the bottom half as has been stated before. I upgraded to 1.0.2 and when I try to open Sprint TV it repeatedly tells me to turn off airplane mode. It is off. Nascar app opened and then I closed it forever. NY Times app seems nice (font size adjust).

I love the size and the slider seems spring loaded to me even though I read it's not. That means I like it. The keyboard I can live with although the illumination is uneven (strange white dots on some letters). Shouldn't button wake it from sleep? One must slide it open to do that. 70's calc takes 5 seconds to open with only 3 other cards open. Speakerphone crackles at top volume. Hey sorry I've only had it a few hours.
    VOLUME: Agreed.

It was quiet like my Treo's originally were, before I installed VolumeCare. I sure hope it works via Classic because I did NOT want to have to buy it for a THIRD Palm phone. (Cuz I know I'll give in to the Pre eventually.)

CLOSE-TO-HANG UP: Disagree.

I had a clamshell for a hot minute and, although there was a certain satisfaction and convenience to ending the call and closing the "shell" at the same time, it was also problematic. If I opened the clamshell for some reason, but then wanted to close it while still on the call, I couldn't.

Then I had this awkward set-up of having an open clamshell that I had to house somewhere or be forced to hold as I walked around (I prefer a holster). And if I accidentally bumped it, I accidentally hung up on the caller.

That's inconvenient when it's a family member or friend.

It sucks arse when it's a customer service rep that you've been holding for for an hour.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    why does everyone think the keyboard sucks? i think its amazing, i have no problem typing up emails and texts.
    It's all about speed. If people are saying it sucks it means that they can't type accurately on it while moving at the speed they think they should be able to.

That, and just differences in opinion. I have an iPhone, and I doubt I'd ever be able to type on a physical keyboard as fast as I do on my virtual one. I don't have to hit the right key because of iPhone auto-correct. If I want to type "a" I just press my thumb over near the left of the keyboard around middle in height and as I type the word it analyzes what I meant to hit. That won't work on the Pre. The iPhone keyboard does come with a price though. Sometimes it's overzealous in auto-correct and you have to go back and change it. That won't happen on the Pre because it assumes that you hit the key you wanted to.
    This guy doesn't do anything online and barely realizes that you can do everything on the Pre even without a data connection. He provides no substantive criticisms, such as SPECIFIC things he can't do. He admits he's not the target user, then proceeds to bash the phone.
    He likes that the 755p isn't so web-dependent. Simple as that. Doesn't mean the web-dependent aspects are THE WORST EVER IN LIFE - STOOPID PHONE stuff.

And no one "bashed" it. It's a phone, not a 15-year-old, bloodied, gay kid.

It's just an opinion - like your "dumb" comment.
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    He likes that the 755p isn't so web-dependent. Simple as that. Doesn't mean the web-dependent aspects are THE WORST EVER IN LIFE - STOOPID PHONE stuff.

And no one "bashed" it. It's a phone, not a 15-year-old, bloodied, gay kid.

It's just an opinion - like your "dumb" comment.
    I don't know at what point in this thread you turned all bitter, but calm down. All I'm saying is that all his personal drawbacks of the phone that he has found so far were all well-known prior to launch. That's it.
    Yeah Man, I am pissed five months I been sweating this Phone & I am Disappointed. It been droping calls like a hot Potato none of my other Palm phones did this. In my house to that where I am going to be spending most of my Time. I call they want me to swap it out but their are no phones available!! Man I think I set myself up for this having the phone in such high regards before having it. Well I do have 30 days so I will report back later with another update.
    Quote Originally Posted by 9 Inch Pre Niss View Post
    Then why in the world would you buy a phone designed around life in the cloud? That's like jon and kate plus 8 buying a corvette and bashing it for not having 8 seats. Palm said this phone was for the fat middle of which I'm a part of and this phone is amazing for me. Go buy a pro.
    Easy, I can understand him - beeing a Palm user for more than 6 years now, of course I am looking towatds the Pre as a new smartphone and NOT the iphone, so the physical keyboard and it's capabilities are very important.

Life in the cloud? Im living rock solid on the ground mostly and doing that happily without a facebook page or twitter account... No, Sir, I don't consider myself a digital moron.

Centalus
    I don't know at what point in this thread you turned all bitter, but calm down. All I'm saying is that all his personal drawbacks of the phone that he has found so far were all well-known prior to launch. That's it.
    Don't try that. I'm very calm.

You insulted someone. I responded because I'm tired of seeing this community deteriorate... as it has, of-late. No doubt, some are also tired of seeing me b!tch and moan about these things.

There's a very simple solution to both.

Anyway, there's my two cents. Respond if you like, but I'm dropping it here so that I don't derail the thread further.
    Quote Originally Posted by IMethos View Post
    This phone isn't for you. Please return it so that it can go into the "replacement Pre" pool.
    OLD_HATCH Don't let the Web 2.0 fanboys get let you down... I guess the Pre will evolve into something really cool - with Documents to go editing and all - and maybe you'll get used to the keyboard, too.

Here in germany we would be happy if the Pre would materialize anytime soon (GSM), anyway.

Centalus
    I am underwhelmed as well. Honestly I don't think many iPhone users will switch. I have original iPhone that I bought 2 years ago and it is better and more polished than Pre. Pre looks underpowered. It stutters when scrolling, the web browser shows checkers when you pan around a lot more than iPhone web browser. It is just not as smooth as butter as iPhone.

As I said in other thread there are two things that I like better on Pre:

1. Push email actually works.
    2. Keyboard

It is good first attempt but it is too late and bar is set too high. It needs much more polish both hardware and software wise. I hope Palm keeps at it because iPhone does not have real competitor yet.

I will be returning mine...
    ... If I want to type "a" I just press my thumb over near the left of the keyboard around middle in height and as I type the word it analyzes what I meant to hit. That won't work on the Pre....
    Guess what? It will. Soon. (hopefully, if the company listens, this time).

Centalus
    Dear OLD,

Why did you buy the phone again? All the issues you raise were known at least weeks ago. Palm didn't spend to much time developing the functionality of these apps, but trust me, it shouldn't be difficult. You may have to pay good money though. The hardware is fine and although not as sturdy, much more useablee than iPhone.
    OLD HATCH:

I just got back from returning my pre. I agree with you regarding pre not being polished enough. It needs more work... the device is SWEET, software SEMI-SWEET... however the hardware does not support the memory required by these applications. The processing was also very poor in my opinion.

Tapping was not received well by the device. It sputtered on taps. And worst thing for me was the phone CRASHED 4 TIMES in the 4 hours that I owned it.

I'll try again in 6 months maybe... but today, I'm keeping my 755p.

It is what it is...
    Quote Originally Posted by centalus View Post
    Guess what? It will. Soon. (hopefully, if the company listens, this time).

Centalus
    With all the functionality that's missing, who's to say they're going to respond to consumers any faster than Apple did? Apple made a boatload of money without adding copy/paste, mms, and search for two years. The question is, if Palm thought those weren't important enough to introduce in 1.0, when will they add it now?
    With all the functionality that's missing, who's to say they're going to respond to consumers any faster than Apple did? Apple made a boatload of money without adding copy/paste, mms, and search for two years. The question is, if Palm thought those weren't important enough to introduce in 1.0, when will they add it now?
    They will be out of business, I they don't. It's that easy. Apple is a complete different company, they would survive even without the iPhone. For Palm, it's Pre or nothing. And still, if everything goes wrong, there still is Dimitry Grinberg.
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    Palm and Sprint have made no secret that this device is not for everyone. If this phone does not do what you would like, stick with the Treo you own, or try a different device. I'm not trying to be mean, it's just that no phone, at this point in time, is going to be all things to all people.
    I would have to agree with the OP, and to be honest, I think "Pedro the Goat" might be found drunk at a bar later on next week mumbling to himself "Why, why, why didn't the phone meet my expectations?" LOL

First of all, Palm/Sprint didn't handle the launch correctly for the fan boys that would buy the phone and love it no matter what. I felt like playing with the new phone this morning, and figured if insanity struck me and I ignored my doubts- I could buy it and see how it worked out. Well, there was a line outside the store. Only 40 people got phones, and they would not let more than 10 people in the store at a time. I decided to come back later in the afternoon to play with the demo. The first thing that ticked me off was the fact that the Sprint employee helping me had his own personal Pre. Here they had to turn people away this morning that were paying customers, and instead they let an employee get one of them the first day? Doesn't seem quite right. At any rate, it didn't matter to me after playing with the Pre, because I definitely will not be getting one. I just feel bad for the folks that aren't as business dependent as me, etc. who may really like the phone and were turned away because Sprint employees were allowed to get one.

Now on to the second point I just made. The task and memo managers are seriously limited. Not only are there sync limitations depending on your server software, but the programs themselves just don't have even what I would consider basic options.

The keyboard was also awful. I kept pressing two keys at once, and really had to concentrate. I couldn't see myself hammering out emails, tasks, etc. on this thing.

I could go on and on, but I think many others have already done that and will continue to do so.
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterB View Post
    The keyboard was also awful. I kept pressing two keys at once, and really had to concentrate. I couldn't see myself hammering out emails, tasks, etc. on this thing.
    Thank you! That's exactly my experience as well!
    Geesh people, WebOs is fantastic, the hardware is not nearly as good as the OS
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast