Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by OLD_HATCH View Post
    Well

What can I say after looking at my Pre over for almost 2 hours and checking every setting etc it just seems "Not finished"

I mean all the built in apps are pretty crappy as far as usability compared to the old Palm OS stuff.

The only thing better so far is the calander. tasks, memos, and even camera seem featureless compared to the old Pam stuff

On top of that the sliding mechanism is pretty hard as of today, but hopefully that will change.

Yeah the web browser is better and sprint navigation is nice, but even the old Phone app on my 755 is better

I want to point out that I dont put my life in the "CLoud". I dont have 3-5 email acounts etc to keep track of. I dont twitter or facebook or any of those.One thing I like about my 755p is that even without a data connection its still usefull. I'm hoping the apps pick up and same becomes of the Pre.

Am I crazy here or does anyone else feel the same?
    Nah. Although I dig a lot about the Pre, I got a similar feel.

I feel like I'd be sacrificing quite a bit by giving up my 755p. Part of that is because embracing WebOS is embracing a very different platform but part of it is because of the missing features.

Simple things like downloading files from webpages or transferring files via Bluetooth

These are some of the things that made my 755p great. There are others. I'm about to start a thread about one.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    I'm liking WebOS as a whole but GOD i'm annoyed at my dead pixels. Otherwise, my phone is perfect. Just better check out my new unit thoroughly when I pick it up...
    i love the phone.... maybe the thread starter didn't need a new phone since it's best feature and what the phone was built to do are features he doesn't use.... i got all i expected.... the things that are short comings i knew b4 hand so i'm a total happy camper
    lol

Intelligence has nothing to do with it.

Frankly while it is a very nice phone its not all it was hyped up to be. I am just hoping that real applications will make it something better, but once you get past the newness of it it really doesnt do much out the box.

Again I am not a type of person that puts all their info on the net so all the "Cloud" hype doesnt meanuch to me.

Email is good, web is good, but the simple organization of the Palm OS is just not there.
    Then why in the world would you buy a phone designed around life in the cloud? That's like jon and kate plus 8 buying a corvette and bashing it for not having 8 seats. Palm said this phone was for the fat middle of which I'm a part of and this phone is amazing for me. Go buy a pro.
    I want to point out that I dont put my life in the "CLoud". I dont have 3-5 email acounts etc to keep track of. I dont twitter or facebook or any of those.One thing I like about my 755p is that even without a data connection its still usefull. I'm hoping the apps pick up and same becomes of the Pre.
    OK, the reasons you described above that you don't do, would be most of the reasons to get a Pre.
    Why didn't you just stick with your 755p?
    Seems you set yourself up for disappointment there...
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    OLD_HATCH, since I agree with you about the 800w having the best keyboard, how quickly are you becoming acclimated to the Pre's keyboard? Do you think you'll be able to type as fast? I ask because unfortunately my 800w died and they replaced it with a Treo Pro, which I hate the keyboard on, but I can't tell if I hate it because of the hardware or because of the software (it drops a LOT of characters when I type quickly, so my typing speed is killed by having to backspace all the time)
  7.    #47  
    Might do that. I dont like windows mobile much but might give it a go.

As far as the cloud goes.....I was sort of expecting the things that are included with the Pre would be far better. Like dataviz's Docs to go been with palm for a while and instead of a a viewer getting the ability to edit documents on the go. (I know its coming though)

Sadly I updated to the 1.08 Rom update from sprint and it turned my 755p to total crap.
    Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    This phone isn't for you. Please return it so that it can go into the "replacement Pre" pool.
    + the OS seems solid. Cards rock!
    + good size device
    + great browser, prolly the best non-iphone browsing experience on a cell phone I've seen
    + I personally think a keyboard is a must for any smart phone. The keyboard isnt great but it's serviceable.
    + itunes hack FTmfW!!!!!

- cheap plastic
    - squeaks
    - sharp, paper cut edges
    - flimsy usb port door
    - no expandable memory
    - application launching is a tad sluggish in spots
    - volume buttons could bump out a little. hard to feel-distinguish up from down
    - default productivity apps are so so (not a real issue for day one)
    - no ms outlook sync out of the box!??!?!?!?1!!?/!?!one!
    - tiny keyboard
    - no back button (my finger is tired of gesturing "back")
    - no option button (ala the blackberry)
    - no send or end buttons
    - no tethering out of the box
    - no today screen out of the box?

I think the phone is really good. It will get better with updates and 3rd party software. I do have to question some of the design decisions though. After a half day of playing with it, I'd give it an 82% rating.
  10.    #50  
    Nah
    The web browser is reason enough to keep it for now.
    As far as the keyboard goes Ive used the Centro for a while too and its about the same. The only difference is that its kinda cramped at the top like mentioned. I think in time typing will get there with a little extra effort.
    I can't hear it ring. Ringer volume is inexcusably low. I think I will start a thread about that. Forget using the alarm app in the morning. I can't see it (Treocentral mobile site for example, you were right Mobileman) It took an hour and a half to buy it after getting in (that took another hour and a half). The guy transferred my contacts I thought (turns out 9 out of hundreds). He tells me I HAVE to buy a "bundle", meaning case and car charger. I started to get loud and he backed off (I'd been up all night). It doesn't open answer or close end call. The mic should be in the bottom half as has been stated before. I upgraded to 1.0.2 and when I try to open Sprint TV it repeatedly tells me to turn off airplane mode. It is off. Nascar app opened and then I closed it forever. NY Times app seems nice (font size adjust).

I love the size and the slider seems spring loaded to me even though I read it's not. That means I like it. The keyboard I can live with although the illumination is uneven (strange white dots on some letters). Shouldn't button wake it from sleep? One must slide it open to do that. 70's calc takes 5 seconds to open with only 3 other cards open. Speakerphone crackles at top volume. Hey sorry I've only had it a few hours.
    Might do that. I dont like windows mobile much but might give it a go.

As far as the cloud goes.....I was sort of expecting the things that are included with the Pre would be far better. Like dataviz's Docs to go been with palm for a while and instead of a a viewer getting the ability to edit documents on the go. (I know its coming though)

Sadly I updated to the 1.08 Rom update from sprint and it turned my 755p to total crap.
    There may be a way to edit with D2G in the future, but I don't think it will be free.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Keyboard takes some getting used to, but at least it has one.

However I agree, it does feel alittle incomplete. Hopefully over the next few weeks we'll have a bunch of updates to improve upon the good base.
    Quote Originally Posted by galavanter View Post
    I can't hear it ring. Ringer volume is inexcusably low. I think I will start a thread about that. Forget using the alarm app in the morning. I can't see it (Treocentral mobile site for example, you were right Mobileman) It took an hour and a half to buy it after getting in (that took another hour and a half). The guy transferred my contacts I thought (turns out 9 out of hundreds). He tells me I HAVE to buy a "bundle", meaning case and car charger. I started to get loud and he backed off (I'd been up all night). It doesn't open answer or close end call. The mic should be in the bottom half as has been stated before. I upgraded to 1.0.2 and when I try to open Sprint TV it repeatedly tells me to turn off airplane mode. It is off. Nascar app opened and then I closed it forever. NY Times app seems nice (font size adjust).

I love the size and the slider seems spring loaded to me even though I read it's not. That means I like it. The keyboard I can live with although the illumination is uneven (strange white dots on some letters). Shouldn't button wake it from sleep? One must slide it open to do that. 70's calc takes 5 seconds to open with only 3 other cards open. Speakerphone crackles at top volume. Hey sorry I've only had it a few hours.

Wow, that's a lot of bad stuff... phew...
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    I can see the issues with tasks and memos. I think tasks will see some refinement-- at least, I think they probably need to. Memos, that hadn't even occurred to me. My memos always just resided on my 755p, and they "synced" for the sake of having backups, but I never viewed them anywhere by on my phone. Should be interesting to see how my experience on the Pre compares.

So yeah. I think that either a) the Pre may not be the right platform for the OP, or b) it simply hasn't matured to the point that it's polished enough for him with a few features added.

At least the feeling I get so far with regards to "updates" is that this will be a different experience than with PalmOS, where it seemed to take several months before some type of software/firmware update would be released to address specific issues. I've already noticed the features / apps that came with the 1.0.2 update that I downloaded and installed today-- nice to know it's something they're continuing to work on.

(Plus, there's always the potential for third party apps to do the things that aren't provided directly by Palm / Sprint-- but again, that will take some time / maturation of the platform).

But overall I'm very much enjoying the ease of use of this phone, aside from a thing or 2 that seems to be missing. (I'm a little apprehensive about battery life... this should be interesting.)
    Global Posts
    20,078 Global Posts
    The reason most people dislike devices is because they compare it. STOP IT!

Act like it's a new device. I like it. If I compare it to my iPhone, then yes it doesn't compare. Or the new iPhone, it sucks donkey ****.

I like to thank it will get better with time and more apps will be developed very soon.

You'll notice a lot of the "haters" or "nayers" are comparing. Not saying the ones not comparing will like it, but I think it should be more of "Does it do what I need it to do" vs. "Does it do what that did?"
    Global Posts
    180 Global Posts
    I have to agree that the lack of customizability leaves me a little disappointed. I'm not talking crazy options. The lack of ability to select my tone for that is simply amazing.

The lack of customizability is disappointing. It makes the product feel half completed. i like the underlying technology, and in some areas it's amazingly intuitive and slickly done. Other areas have just been completely ignored.

Also vote that the PIM features are very disappointing. That's always been one of palm's stengths, and the difference between my old treo 700p and this is quite a contrast. Again, that's something that didn't need to be sacrificed to get the gains in other areas.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    I was never one for the Tasks app on my Palm or Treo, but I miss the security feature on Memos. Maybe it's there and I can't see it, but there's probably a lot there I'm not seeing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    Usually I respect the opinion of other people, but in this case, no. You're dumb.

This phone is fantastic.
    If anyone's fits the description above, it's you, for assuming that your requirements match everyone else's.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    To be honest, the OP does seem dumb, meyerweb. People have different requirements, but this guy bought a device that was hyped and advertised (and is) as a cloud computing device and then gets upset because he doesn't like the whole idea of the cloud. That's moronic.

As a previous poster said, you don't buy a two seater coupe for a family of 8 and then complain that it doesn't have 8 seats.
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast