Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by gabbott View Post
    I'm loving my pre so far, but compared to the options my blackberry had, this thing has next to no options. I'm attributing that to it being version 1.0 of a new OS and things will get added and improved (hopefully).

I hope the same. The OS is great. I love multitasking finally from Palm without having to hack the OS so damned much.
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    I like the keyboard, especially coming from a touchscreen keyboard I can type very fast already.

Also, I never used PalmOS and don't care much for memo or task applications, I don't think a lot of people, hence Palm's deemphasis on those apps.
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    Memos and Tasks are weak, but I'm sure updates will come. I'm very happy right now, huge upgrade from my 700p. I think I can do everything I need to on it, but I am looking forward to more options.
    I was 95% sure I would get the Pre between now and September, until I learned Thursday night that there were features missing from the PIM applications. Now I'm not getting the Pre or any other phones based on WebOS until the PIM applications are fixed.

The 5% hold out was if a version of PDANet will be available for the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by haydur View Post
    I like the keyboard, especially coming from a touchscreen keyboard I can type very fast already.

Also, I never used PalmOS and don't care much for memo or task applications, I don't think a lot of people, hence Palm's deemphasis on those apps.

Wow, I find the keyboard awful. It looks like they wanted a keyboard and threw in the smallest one they could find. The keys have no tactile separation so I couldn't tell what key my thumb was pressing on. It's MINISCULE as well. Two finger typing the thumbs kept bumping into each other on the keyboard because it took so long to tell what keyboard key I was pressing.

In comparison, picked up a Curve, and instantly had none of these problems on it.

I am just sooo disapointed, I have wanted the Pre to be great! Oh well, will have to wait for the next set of hardware for WebOs

What was Palm thinking???
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprockethead View Post
    Now that is a funny post. Apparently Pre's advertising budget must have been spent during Saturday morning cartoons, and I guess it worked!

I think this phone is phenomenal. However, coming from a blackberry I know exactly the feeling the OP is getting. Once you get used to syncing your NOTES and TASKS then it's like you get to stop using your brain (it's so nice).

If you are not used to that feature then you will never miss it and all of the great stuff about this phone will be untainted. But I'm going from never thinking about maintaining any of my information to needing to email myself notes and sync Outlook > Gmail > Pre.

Yet I still bought the phone. Why? Because it's so darn cool.

Buy yes, unless you actually manage your life and business via Facebook and Twitter this phone's software falls a little short. But who cares? It's cool dammit!
    At least for notes, I'm planning on using Evernote's mobile interface. That will keep things in the cloud and synced for me I think. Give that a try.
    If you're a compulsive tweaker/modder, this just ain't the phone for you right now. And I know a lot of old-school PalmOS power users are. That's cool. But it would make zero sense for Palm to configure a brand new OS with a kazillion options for each app.

That's just more opportunities for bugs and lags. Better to start modest, and add on from there.

WebOS is a fantastic starting point...but not for everybody.
    It took me about five minutes to get used to this keyboard. I think it's great but that is my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Young HoV 718 View Post
    The pre is great, I'm coming from a touch pro and a iphone 3g.
    Compared to my Touch Pro (and the Mogul) before it, the Pre is heaven. Compared to my old Treo 650, the Pre is definitely not as snappy, but that's to be expected. I'm running into some things I don't like, but I'll adjust. The things I do like--such as running Pandora in the background while doing 10 other things--are just too darn cool.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  10.    #30  
    Maybe thats my issue with it. Its very nice and I like it but the customability just isnt there. I'm going to have to get used to that and accept it for what it is. A very nice 1.0 device.
    Quote Originally Posted by searchable View Post
    Wow, I find the keyboard awful. It looks like they wanted a keyboard and threw in the smallest one they could find. The keys have no tactile separation so I couldn't tell what key my thumb was pressing on. It's MINISCULE as well. Two finger typing the thumbs kept bumping into each other on the keyboard because it took so long to tell what keyboard key I was pressing.

In comparison, picked up a Curve, and instantly had none of these problems on it.

I am just sooo disapointed, I have wanted the Pre to be great! Oh well, will have to wait for the next set of hardware for WebOs

The keyboard does certainly take some getting used to. I'm not quite there yet--accuracy for me is very good, speed not so much. Best mobile keyboard I've used (and I haven't use a BB) has been on my Mogul, and I certainly prefer that. But, I absolutely love how there's no lag when typing as there was on my Mogul (and, my Touch Pro). So there's a trade off there. Compared to on-screen keyboards, there's no comparison, of course.

I'm sure that someone who's used to a BB might feel differently, but I can certainly live with the keyboard.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by searchable View Post

Really?
    To each there own I suppose, but quite frankly, I think you're on crack.
    Quote Originally Posted by xGORDOx View Post
    Really?
    To each there own I suppose, but quite frankly, I think you're on crack.
    Nice response.

Well me and several other people in the sprint store all felt the same way -- looked and felt it, then turned to each other and said WTF? Keyboard is just lousy. Looks and feels like a toy keyboard where the entire keyboard is the button, and not the individual keys. Yuck. Guess you are just very skilled with your thumbs, but I had to really focus in order to find the right key.

The hardware reviews were spot on. Keyboard is lousy, software is great.
    I'm coming from a blackerry curve and I'm not having too much trouble adjusting but when I first held my pre my first thought was 'where are the keys?!' since they don't protrude out very far.
    Quote Originally Posted by gabbott View Post
    I'm coming from a blackerry curve and I'm not having too much trouble adjusting but when I first held my pre my first thought was 'where are the keys?!' since they don't protrude out very far.
    Yes, that's the exact problem I was having. The keys dont protrude out enough and there isn't enough space between the keys for easy key differentiation. I will try it again later this week when the hysteria dies down and I can spend 10 minutes playing with it in peace).
    Yeah, if you're not using all the advanced features of the phone, I could see where you might not like it. To each his own.

By the way, except for getting used to the new layout, a little less tactile feel than I would like on the space bar, and the top row of keys (which I'm getting used to, but may be helped by a trim of the thumbnails), the keyboard is not bad.
  17.    #37  
    The best palm keyboard was on the 800w. If your coming from the Centro or Pearl the keys aren that bad. For someones whos used to a bigger keypad I can see being annoyed by it.
    I love it. My first smartphone.
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    The keyboard does certainly take some getting used to. I'm not quite there yet--accuracy for me is very good, speed not so much. Best mobile keyboard I've used (and I haven't use a BB) has been on my Mogul, and I certainly prefer that. But, I absolutely love how there's no lag when typing as there was on my Mogul (and, my Touch Pro). So there's a trade off there. Compared to on-screen keyboards, there's no comparison, of course.

I'm sure that someone who's used to a BB might feel differently, but I can certainly live with the keyboard.
    After using the original htc touch with no physical keyboard, and an ipod touch which is just okay, THIS KEYBOARD IS AMAZING!!! I'm not that fast yet, but at least I am not having to go back and fix every other word as I'm typing. I am in 'PRE' heaven
    This is night and day compared to the treo 800w. I disagree with the keyboard bashing. I can type just as fast as I could with the 800.. I had a centro, so it is not much different, but over all a hit in my opinion
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast