Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    So basically you turned off everything that makes the phone good? Lets face it, the battery stinks. Maybe Apple was right when they said multitasking kills battery life.
    They said that so they could continue to scam customers by not having a removable battery.
    Quote Originally Posted by prochobo View Post
    So you need to check your Gmail every 5 minutes,
    My Centro pushes my gmail to me when it arrives. Why would I want to wait an hour for email to reach the Pre. Seems like a big step backwards to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnt Toast View Post
    They said that so they could continue to scam customers by not having a removable battery.
    Not so sure Palm should be bragging about its removable battery since they made taking the battery cover off an exercise in frustration.
    problem solved guys, turn off the phone
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowGod View Post
    1100mAh or even 1150 mAh isn't enough for a device like the Pre. Palm failed on this one. We need like a 1500 mAh battery at least, that would be nice.
    Which do you want:
    - current battery, 1150mah, current size/thickness
    - bigger battery, but thicker device
    - non-removable battery, ala iPhone, which allows somewhat more battery capacity

those are the only choices... (i.e. bigger battery with same thickness is NOT a choice)... Palm obviously made their choice -- we'll see if it was the right one, but my guess is that it was "approximately" the right choice...
    I left it on the charger all day. When I left this evening it was fully charged. Used the Sprint navigation to find a place 7 miles from my house...15 minutes of driving...worst case. When I got there I stopped the navigation card by tossing it up the screen and took the trouble to turn the GPS off. A couple hours later I noticed it was burning up in my pocket...uncomfortably hot...160-180 degrees at least. Checked it and it was down to 30% charge. The next time I check it, it was at 18% and then it shut itself off. It is sitting on the charger right now...just 4 hours later...totally dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY View Post
    I thought I read somewhere that you get better battery life if you enable IMAP and have it set to check as items arrive. The theory being that is more efficient versus the device going out to your provider at whatever interval regardless of there being mail to retrieve.
    Does anyone have any insight on this? It makes sense and would be extremely helpful.
    Palm M100 => Treo 755P => Treo 800w => Treo 755p => Palm Pre => No more Palm/HP products
    Quote Originally Posted by Disaster View Post
    I left it on the charger all day. When I left this evening it was fully charged. Used the Sprint navigation to find a place 7 miles from my house...15 minutes of driving...worst case. When I got there I stopped the navigation card by tossing it up the screen and took the trouble to turn the GPS off. A couple hours later I noticed it was burning up in my pocket...uncomfortably hot...160-180 degrees at least. Checked it and it was down to 30% charge. The next time I check it, it was at 18% and then it shut itself off. It is sitting on the charger right now...just 4 hours later...totally dead.
    Your issue sounds more like something faulty, not normal behavior.
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    I have a dream, one day we can be connected by whatever services that's allowed and don't worry about battery life; I have a dream, one day we can keep our screen as bright as the sun all the time without worrying about the battery life; I have a dream, one day we don't have to worry about batteries on all phones, Palm, BB, iPhone, etc.

Well I know that's not a very good parody of Dr. King, but since we have a black president now, let's all be hopeful.

In the mean time, get many Touchstones and put every place you are going to stay long than 20 minutes. That way, the phone is always charged.
    Haven't got my Pre yet (getting it through our corporate rep tomorrow) but I found some interesting information on the web:

apple.com/batteries/iphone.html

Looks like all of the same battery life suggestions that I'm seeing here.
    I've been doing very little. Two short calls, no emails, no messaging, 2 quick google searches, nothing else, and it took my phone almost exactly 6 six hours to hit the "20% remaining" warning. Hoping for better this week with some more conditioning of the battery, or maybe I'll try to exchange the battery. No heat issues really, after some heat yesterday. Future updates should be able to optimize battery some more, as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by k1dude View Post
    Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I agree I must have a bad phone. Yesterday it lasted 5 hours. Today it lasted 4 hours and 10 minutes. I had 5 calls for 22 minutes and sent one text message. There was no other activity because I was trying to accurately gauge how long the battery really lasted. 4 hours with very light usage is ridiculous. I also notice it's incredibly hot while recharging as well.

EeZeEpEe - I'm not using any IM. Haven't enabled it yet either.

I'll be returning it tomorrow for another unit.
    We are in the same boat...I suspected software but because everyone isn't experiencing it I wonder if it is hardware. Mine get insanely hot. I ran only one app (Sprint Navigation) since charging it...and after shutting it down the battery got blazing hot and was empty in 4 hours...despite shutting the application down and turning off the GPS. I've already had the phone back to Sprint for a "factory reset."
    recent developments in reflective display technology, ala Eink but also doing color, should help with at least two of your dreams...
    - typically the display accounts for 20-30% of the power budget, colored Eink should drop it down to very little, except perhaps if you're watching movies...
    - reflective displays obviously are what are needed for good in-the-sun performance...

one of the pioneers in this field is none other than Qualcomm... (yay or boo?)

e-paper - Full-color e-paper display by eINK
    Small Times - Qualcomm MEMS demos IMOD color display
    Not so sure Palm should be bragging about its removable battery since they made taking the battery cover off an exercise in frustration.
    I really had know problem w/removing battery cover; are the centro/800w batteries fine to use? They fit & seem to work...
    --Steve

Visor-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700P-->Treo 800W-->Palm Pre-->HP Touchpad

My DVD Collection
    My Media Room
    GovTwit Directory
    Twitter: @dslunceford
    Quote Originally Posted by bausti25 View Post
    How do you turn off location svcs?
    3rd screen Unless you moved it) has location services, from there you can turn off whatever you don't want on.
    I still have my gmail on as received and my battery is pretty good still. It's almost 9 o'clock and I still have 50% of battery left.
    So basically you turned off everything that makes the phone good? Lets face it, the battery stinks. Maybe Apple was right when they said multitasking kills battery life.
    I agree, there's just no excuse for it. If you give us the features then let us use them. Don't give me this, you can do this, this, and this, but if you do here are the consequences. Why am I getting punished for using the features? It's like when Apple kept telling me turn off 3G so my battery will last longer or when I we had 3G issues. What the hell that's why I updated so I could use 3G you
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sel1965 View Post
    I still have my gmail on as received and my battery is pretty good still. It's almost 9 o'clock and I still have 50% of battery left.
    Have you done something to achieve this?
    No offense, but I don't see why you should leave location services on if it's sitting on your hip at work inside a building. The fact it will auto-seek if you pull open google maps or Telenav seems good enough.

Ditto for AIM or gtalk-- unless I'm actively expecting to talk to people there's no reason to stay online, especially when people can always send you a text.

The general thing is turning off what you aren't using. I've done this on every phone I've owned to date and see no reason why the Pre would miraculously defy the laws of physics to overcome this shortcoming.

So there may be a day some time in the future when our phones all have little fusion cells that allow us to run EVDO, Wifi, GPS, Bluetooth, Email push, active IM connections, and more 24/7-- but if you aren't using it, it'd still be wasteful.

At current, the Pre should be thought of as a swiss army knife. A useful multipurpose tool that is dang near useless if everything is open at once.
    Quote Originally Posted by lopezpm View Post
    I agree, there's just no excuse for it. If you give us the features then let us use them. Don't give me this, you can do this, this, and this, but if you do here are the consequences. Why am I getting punished for using the features? It's like when Apple kept telling me turn off 3G so my battery will last longer or when I we had 3G issues. What the hell that's why I updated so I could use 3G you
    Are you kidding me? Besides the fact that this is a V1 device (I don't know why people can't get this idea through their head that THEY ARE BETA TESTING A NEW DEVICE) and still needs it's tweaks, I have NEVER used ANY smartphone device that didn't destroy the battery in a matter of hours, sometimes even and hour or two, if you didn't compromise with settings.

The sad fact it that technology, especially cell phone technology, has skyrocketed yet battery techology really hasn't. I have had WinMo phones (HTC and Palm), numerous PalmOS phones, I have used a G1 and BlackBerry Storm for a few days, and even the *Que angelic music* garbage Iphone 3g for a few days. EVERY SINGLE DEVICE would KILL the battery if you synced email constantly, didn't dim the screen low, and played with it non stop. Every single device would eat battery at an unbelievable rate when using internet via WiFi or running a Nav system with GPS.

The Pre is no different, plain in simple. The Pre, as far as I am concerned, using pretty much every main device on the market for a long enough length of time, is right on par with battery life, and better than most. It does burn battery a little faster than, say, 60% of the devices I have used when the screen is on and you are messing with it, but considering what it can do, the screen that's in it, and being such a new OS with no efficiency tweaks, I am satisfied. Syncing email every 30 mins, dropping screen brightness down etc. is all NORMAL settings for any smartphone user that doesn't NEED live updates all day long, and doesn't have the ability to be near a wall plug or car charger all day.

After getting comfortable with the device, seeing its quirks, it's strong points, and what could be in it's future, I am VERY exciting about this device. This is also coming from one of the most Anti-Pre people on this forum pre-release based on the hardware limitations and what not.

I am sorry I made an HONEST and blunt post to HELP some of the people here that came from dumb phones to the Pre and were upset with battery life. Fact is, most devices short of a standard BlackBerry (minus the storm) will destroy the battery when used like we are with the Pre. I am just trying to help people that are new to smartphones understand how to get some better battery life, and potentially save them from the dissatisfaction of turning the phone back in, canceling service, going to another carrier/different phone, having the same problem, than seeing the Pre turn into would it could potentially be and kick themselves in the arse.

Forget my post, mods please delete. Continue with the useless threads Pre-Release.
Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast