Page 8 of 28 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast
    Here is the solution:
    Stop playing with your Pre every waking minute!

Just kidding, but not really. My Pre has been off the charger since 9:00am this morning. At 7:00PM, I had 83% battery, and I had left WiFi on by accident from 2:00 until 7:00pm. I had used it like I was at work. A few emails, handful of quick phone calls, maybe 20 mins of web to show my father the Pre, couple text messages, a few photos (emailed out) etc. I didn't sit there and play with it like I did on the 6th, which I wouldn't really do at work anyway unless I was on lunch, and then it would be on the charger.

The settings I changed was:
    Gmail update every 30mins
    Hotmail update every 30 mins
    Screen brightness as low as it goes (I work outside all day and it still looked gorgeous, no reason anyone can't deal with it that low unless they don't mind the battery life being short) I think this was the biggest change.
    WiFi/Bluetooth off unless I needed it obviously
    Location services off (Still asks if you want to turn on temporarily for apps)
    Background location Data retrieval off
    Volume MAX
    Backlight/Screen off w/e in 30 seconds
    All AIM/Yahoo/Windows Live/Gmail etc. messaging services off
    Data while Roaming ON

Don't think anything else is changed? As long as I use it like I normally would, and stop PLAYING with the darn thing (Yes, I admit it's not easy), battery life is better than my Pro, and about as good as my old Centro. Certainly a 7-5pm work day plus a few hours for the bar etc.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I agree I must have a bad phone. Yesterday it lasted 5 hours. Today it lasted 4 hours and 10 minutes. I had 5 calls for 22 minutes and sent one text message. There was no other activity because I was trying to accurately gauge how long the battery really lasted. 4 hours with very light usage is ridiculous. I also notice it's incredibly hot while recharging as well.

EeZeEpEe - I'm not using any IM. Haven't enabled it yet either.

I'll be returning it tomorrow for another unit.
    So basically you turned off everything that makes the phone good? Lets face it, the battery stinks. Maybe Apple was right when they said multitasking kills battery life.
    I set my three email account to check every 1hr and 12 hrs. since thats all i need.

However, I do see the email battery drain being an issue with email centric people.

Yet, I have three batts, two from my centro.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    So basically you turned off everything that makes the phone good? Lets face it, the battery stinks. Maybe Apple was right when they said multitasking kills battery life.
    So you need to check your Gmail every 5 minutes, can't see because you need the brightness all the way up, absolutely need wifi and bluetooth every waking moment of your life, need every app to tell you where you are right now, and need the backlight on for more than 30 seconds when not in use.

Yeah. . . . . . . . . . . . .
    I think the fact the battery is kinda small for a device of the caliber has a lot to do with it. It only has like 1100mAh compared to 1150mAh on something like the iPhone
    How do you turn off location svcs?
    I agree with the better battery life. I had to go back to work today, (i had yesterday off of course) and the phone got a beyond full charge overnight then i had it from 9am to 7pm and it is at 64%.

No wifi or bluetooth, changed email check to 1hr, except my main address is still set for as it comes in.

used it a bit for calls and such, but not as heavy as i was doing with it yesterday.
    I thought I read somewhere that you get better battery life if you enable IMAP and have it set to check as items arrive. The theory being that is more efficient versus the device going out to your provider at whatever interval regardless of there being mail to retrieve.
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    I have all these settings basically still sad battery life
    I think its more how often it pings facebook/gmail to check for changes.

Its werid tho...sounds like there are some optimization issues Palm needs a software update for.

Its also weird the battery life is radically different between people (even reviewers).
    Don't use the phone - battery problem solved!
    I first stated the phone had terrible battery life, the default settings are what is doing it. Screen Brightness, Email retrival, Aim, GPS, Location Services, etc etc. Turn them off theres no sense for them to be on all the time.

The phone is ok. Theres no reason to have all those features on all the time.

Data Roaming can eat up battery also. Just turn it on as needed. I have no problem with that.

I left the phone on charge all night, left work this morning at 9am with 100%. Played with the phone a little bit, browsed some sites, showed the phone off a little. But ended up with a 92% charge 5 hours later.

Thats acceptable to me. Touchstone rocks btw, soo easy just to put it on the puck and let it do its thing! Way to go PalM!
    Quote Originally Posted by dsjr2006 View Post
    I think the fact the battery is kinda small for a device of the caliber has a lot to do with it. It only has like 1100mAh compared to 1150mAh on something like the iPhone
    1100mAh or even 1150 mAh isn't enough for a device like the Pre. Palm failed on this one. We need like a 1500 mAh battery at least, that would be nice.
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smithwicks View Post
    Don't use the phone - battery problem solved!
    nah that's wrong.
    Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    You'd that the Palm tester's at Palm'd say' yeah lotta cool stuff here but the battery seems weak'.....amazing it slipped by everyone!..(sarcasim)
    Seido has the perfect opportunity to come out with an extended battery, hopefully one that will fit using the standard battery cover and works with the touchstone charger. I know I'd get one.
    Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    You'd think that the Palm tester's at Palm'd say' yeah lotta cool stuff here but the battery seems weak'.....amazing it slipped by everyone!..(sarcasim)
    Today I found I got huge battery savings by using the button on the upper right corner (standby?) as soon as I was done using the Pre for a task. With minimal/light usage I've been over 90% for over two hours, but then I put my Pre back onto the Touchstone.
    Verizon
    Quote Originally Posted by gabbott View Post
    Seido has the perfect opportunity to come out with an extended battery, hopefully one that will fit using the standard battery cover and works with the touchstone charger. I know I'd get one.
    They're hard at work on it as we speak. Seidio doesn't mess around!
    Verizon
Page 8 of 28 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast