Page 7 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by clevelandrocker View Post
    It never ceases to amaze me how such high tech devices can be developed, but THEY CAN'T DEVELOP A LONG LASTING BATTERY! What's the problem?
    If it was up to me and production costs were no issue (they most assuredly are), I'd go with an OLED 3.5" screen and use the extra volume for a bigger battery. I don't need something 2 mm thick if it won't last.

The combo of a lower power OLED screen plus a larger battery would be sufficient for a great phone.
  2. yoe
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Loving the pre so far, but battery life is a BIG issue.

Had it charge all night long, took it off the cable at around 12pm, its now 3:34pm and I'm at 30%

That is simply unacceptable
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    My battery consumption is off the chart as well, but I'm working on an alternative energy solution: Pre hybrid energy cell. That's right, I'm working on an external hardware device that will provide a charge whenever the internal battery reaches a certain threshold, say 23%. At that point, the glow plug engine will kick in recharging the battery.

Yes, as you would imagine it is a sizable package, but it can be worn on the belt or carried in the purse with the optional Kevlar lined carrying case with integrated 0.3-oz. fuel reservoir.

Granted it's still in the alpha stage, but when used in conjunction with turning down the screen to its dimmest setting and turning off auto-location, and, of course, closing all open apps, I've managed to get an extra 17 minutes of battery life, and that's just with three tank refills.

Working on the noise and heat issue now. I'll be looking for beta testers soon. Please note, if you're interested there will be health waivers required.

A diesel version is on the drawing board. The kerosene version was lost in testing.
    Quote Originally Posted by yoe View Post
    Loving the pre so far, but battery life is a BIG issue.

Had it charge all night long, took it off the cable at around 12pm, its now 3:34pm and I'm at 30%

That is simply unacceptable
    Wow! What were you doing during the 3.5 hours though?
    LG TP 1100 -> Sanyo SCP-5150 -> LG PM-325 -> Nokia 1100 -> Motorola v557 -> Treo 755p -> HTC EVO 4G

Sprint customer since 2001
    Quote Originally Posted by clevelandrocker View Post
    It never ceases to amaze me how such high tech devices can be developed, but THEY CAN'T DEVELOP A LONG LASTING BATTERY! What's the problem?
    The first piece of electronics that I purchased that used lithium batteries was a Toshiba Portege laptop 3600, in 1995. Lithium was a HUGE improvement over NiMH, the then reigning rechargeable battery. Here it is FIFTEEN years later, there has been nearly ZERO improvements in consumer-level battery technology (Li-polymer not withstanding). But then you could observe the same thing about internal combustion engine technology... Obviously energy-chemistry doesn't move the same way that electronics progresses. Very limited in the practical battery chemistries that would improve things. And so-call "fool-cells" aren't as practical as previously envisioned -- can you imagine boarding a plane with a little tank of methanol?

Indeed there is a more fundamental issue that is going to be hard to grapple with. What we are dealing with is mobile information -- information requires energy. The more information we want in our hands, the higher the energy density required (efficiency improvements aside). Not coincidentally that is the exact same characteristics of bombs -- only difference is rate of release. We already have phones and laptops bursting into flames.

Its going to be hard to develop portable energy technologies that have higher and higher energy densities and yet have no possibility for rapid release (although we ALSO want rapid recharges)... its a quandry I think...

I think this means that much more effort needs to be in the efficiency part of the equation... which is where biological systems excel...
    I'm coming from a G1.. And before that I had the 3G (prior to the update that made battery life better)...

And for me, with far more than regular use it seems on par, maybe even better than both phones were for me.... I made some calls, used Pandora for hours, web browsing, texting, etc. Spent a couple hours on my contacts, testing cameras geotagging, etc. And It still lasted about 8 hours or so for me... And thats with everything enabled (all GPS options on, screen brightness turned up, etc). Only options I had off where bluetooth and wifi for most of the time.

I got no complaints personally.

Eventually there will be 1350 batteries on the market for the phone, and they are about the same size as the one currently sitting in there (many G1 owners were switching to this battery for their phones). So no special door will be needed, and it will even add a bit more heft to the phone.
    Sadly I don't have a Pre yet, but I wanted to offer some perspective about battery life from my iPhone 3G experiences:

-I generally need to charge it daily, without exception.
    -Light/Moderate browsing: 5-6 hours
    -Heavy browsing: 2-4 hours
    -GPS for navigation: 2 hours (plugged-in only extends that to about 4 hours)
    -On an average day, I'll get a 20% warning at least once
    -The longest I've ever gone on a single charge was 2 days, using it VERY sparingly

Just thought I'd share that... For anyone wondering, my average usage pattering is email updating every 15 minutes, Wi-fi & bluetooth turned radios on and off as needed, and using it for browsing every time I'm bored/feel the need to google something/or entertaining my lust for Pre updates.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    I unplugged my Pre at noon with a 100% charge. At 2:30 I was down to 30% after 4 phone calls lasting 20 minutes and 1 text message. That's all the usage it got. Wi-Fi, GPS, Bluetooth are all off. Screen brightness is 30%. The phone saw no other activity.

Yesterday it only lasted 5 hours on a full charge. It looks like today might even be worse.

I will give it another few days. But if it doesn't DRAMATICALLY improve I will return the phone. It is completely impractical and unacceptable for a phone to last less than 5 hours with light usage.

Most of the battery power seems to be used for producing heat radiating from the electronics below the battery. It's almost too hot to touch for the 5 hours before it dies.
    Quote Originally Posted by k1dude View Post
    I unplugged my Pre at noon with a 100% charge. At 2:30 I was down to 30% after 4 phone calls lasting 20 minutes and 1 text message. That's all the usage it got. Wi-Fi, GPS, Bluetooth are all off. Screen brightness is 30%. The phone saw no other activity.

Yesterday it only lasted 5 hours on a full charge. It looks like today might even be worse.

I will give it another few days. But if it doesn't DRAMATICALLY improve I will return the phone. It is completely impractical and unacceptable for a phone to last less than 5 hours with light usage.

Most of the battery power seems to be used for producing heat radiating from the electronics below the battery. It's almost too hot to touch for the 5 hours before it dies.

Personally, Id return it for a replacement.. That seems so low compared to what Im getting with more activity on my part..

it sounds like you got a bad battery or a bad phone. i got up at 8:30 this morning with 100% charge. been messing with it all day: a couple of 15-20 minute calls, some texts, emails, internet, etc., as well as just general "playing around" and as of 5:45 it's at 35%.

it looks like it took me two to three times longer to get to that 30% level, with more use. (my wifi is on, bt off, location svcs on)

Sounds like it's still working hard while it appears to just be idle in your pocket. Are you signed on to Google Talk or AIM? If so it could be the IM bug or you gotta get the battery changed like others have said.
    LG TP 1100 -> Sanyo SCP-5150 -> LG PM-325 -> Nokia 1100 -> Motorola v557 -> Treo 755p -> HTC EVO 4G

Sprint customer since 2001
    neurocutie, I really liked your intelligent and informative response. Much thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by skippyrulz View Post
    it sounds like you got a bad battery or a bad phone. i got up at 8:30 this morning with 100% charge. been messing with it all day: a couple of 15-20 minute calls, some texts, emails, internet, etc., as well as just general "playing around" and as of 5:45 it's at 35%.

it looks like it took me two to three times longer to get to that 30% level, with more use. (my wifi is on, bt off, location svcs on)
    Agreed. I am going to get me two more batteries and test them all. By the way this is my first from my Pre!
    I left home at 3:55am. Did over 1.3 hours of webbrowsing. sent a ton of messages. probably 100 or more. listened to 40 minutes of pandora. played with the camera for an estimate of 10 minutes. Approximate time talking was around 1 hour on and off. Screen Brightness is in the middle of the slider. Gps, wifi and Bluetooth are off. I always have my phone on vibrate and used headphones for any activity that required them. Its 18:05 now and i have 32% left. Signal strength varies from 1 to 4 bars indoors to 5 bars outside. spent 80% of that time indoors. Data usage was 60 % outdoors.
    I am liking the battery. Its like every new phone or battery in that matters. I still believe battery peaks its performance after a week of charges and discharges.

EDIT: location services are on.
    Quote Originally Posted by tomascco View Post
    My battery consumption is off the chart as well, but I'm working on an alternative energy solution: Pre hybrid energy cell. That's right, I'm working on an external hardware device that will provide a charge whenever the internal battery reaches a certain threshold, say 23%. At that point, the glow plug engine will kick in recharging the battery.

Yes, as you would imagine it is a sizable package, but it can be worn on the belt or carried in the purse with the optional Kevlar lined carrying case with integrated 0.3-oz. fuel reservoir.

Granted it's still in the alpha stage, but when used in conjunction with turning down the screen to its dimmest setting and turning off auto-location, and, of course, closing all open apps, I've managed to get an extra 17 minutes of battery life, and that's just with three tank refills.

Working on the noise and heat issue now. I'll be looking for beta testers soon. Please note, if you're interested there will be health waivers required.

A diesel version is on the drawing board. The kerosene version was lost in testing.

Hilarious.
    Quote Originally Posted by neile45 View Post
    Make sure you dim your screen as much as you can stand, I put mine on the lowest setting, and it's still bright enough gor me.
    yeah, i actually wish i could lower the brightness even more
    Quote Originally Posted by jsimon9633 View Post
    how do you turn off auto roaming?
    it's under Preferences in the phone app's menu
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    How do I turn gps off and if I start gps will it ask to be turned on? Same with google maps?
    ... When I got home I plugged in the charger and got this wierd screen with a giant low battery symbol. I thought it was just a new screen showing the battery was being charged after being depleted. Nope. When I woke up this morning it still had the giant battery symbol after I unplugged it. And now it's frozen with the giant battery symbol. The screen won't turn off and I can't figure out how to do a reset. My Pre is broken ...
    I had the same issue. In the morning, I had the same issue with the lightning bolt battery symbol filling up the screen and nothing seeming to be able to unfreeze the screen. The only thing that worked for me was to remove the back cover and then to remove and reinsert the battery. The result after this was a palm reboot but things came up and appear to be working afterward. I had a 100% charge after the reset.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    this phone is going back within a week.
Page 7 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast