Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst 123456789101116 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Pflaumen View Post
    Check the sticky thread at the top of the page..isn't that where you should put threads about battery life?
    Thanks.

<<merged>>
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by alundre View Post
    Do you have any IM apps running? I heard something about a bug when using AIM that was eating up battery pretty heavily
    nope
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    Thanks.

<<merged>>
    you should make a entire section about this stupid *** battery, not jsut one sticky thread. This thing is a joke. Even if the battery life gets better it runs way to hot.
    This battery life is absolutely HORRIBLE! I had a 100% charge at 2:00am when I went to work. I have update 1.02, email is set to "as items arrive," GPS is on, but only when a application needs it, screen is at the lowest it can go, I have no IM accounts, Blue tooth is off and WIFI is off. It is now 12:00pm and my battery is at 70%. Now, let me explain that I have done NOTHING with the phone from 2:00am - 10:15am. It sat in my car the whole time I was at work. The only thing that I have done is check my settings that everyone was saying to do, which all my settings were as I said in the beginning of this message already. I got on the web for 5 Min's as well. No calls, texts. This phone better be optimized through an OTA update soon. My Treo 755p has been sitting on my desk since I got the Pre at 10:30am yesterday, and it is still at 83%, and I was using the net on the 755p at the Sprint store while I was waiting to hear my name called.. I really hope this battery just needs to be charged a week or so to get the 5 hours of life out of this phone that Palm claims. The Treo 755p idled with a loss of 17% in 26 hours, and don't forget that I was using the internet at the Sprint store for about 30 Min's. The Pre idled with a loss of 17% in 8 hours and 15 Min's JUST IDLING. That is SORRY.
    Oh yeah, mine runs hot as well. Just thought I would throw that out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by methos123 View Post
    This battery life is absolutely HORRIBLE! I had a 100% charge at 2:00am when I went to work. I have update 1.02, email is set to "as items arrive," GPS is on, but only when a application needs it, screen is at the lowest it can go, I have no IM accounts, Blue tooth is off and WIFI is off. It is now 12:00pm and my battery is at 70%. Now, let me explain that I have done NOTHING with the phone from 2:00am - 10:15am. It sat in my car the whole time I was at work. The only thing that I have done is check my settings that everyone was saying to do, which all my settings were as I said in the beginning of this message already. I got on the web for 5 Min's as well. No calls, texts. This phone better be optimized through an OTA update soon. My Treo 755p has been sitting on my desk since I got the Pre at 10:30am yesterday, and it is still at 83%, and I was using the net on the 755p at the Sprint store while I was waiting to hear my name called.. I really hope this battery just needs to be charged a week or so to get the 5 hours of life out of this phone that Palm claims. The Treo 755p idled with a loss of 17% in 26 hours, and don't forget that I was using the internet at the Sprint store for about 30 Min's. The Pre idled with a loss of 17% in 8 hours and 15 Min's JUST IDLING. That is SORRY.
    HAHA my 755p is sitting right here and its 97%.. It hasnt touched a charger for over 24 hours... I had that thing DIALED IN!!!
    Also, before someone says it, I flick the applications away as soon as I get done with them. There are no background running apps on my phone eating up the battery.
    It never ceases to amaze me how such high tech devices can be developed, but THEY CAN'T DEVELOP A LONG LASTING BATTERY! What's the problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    Shut off wifi push email bluetooth and gps / location services until you need them and turn down screen brightness. Improves battery life significantly.
    Well I should say so. Sorry, dude. Aint happening. Whats the point of having features if u gotta turn them all off to get JUST decent battery life. I havent had to do that with my other phones & Im not starting now. Why dont we just turn the phone off altogether until we need it? Bah.

Either this improves or Pre goes bye bye.
    I'm gonna leave wifi and GPS on today, and I have 4 Gmail accounts set to As it arrives so I will see how much of a drain those really are. Last night lead to good results(all emails were as it arrives but wasn't using wifi and GPS was off), maybe today will have just as good results.
    Global Posts
    381 Global Posts
    Ok, after charging overnight, I have a better idea about the battery life. I think it is good. Yesterday, my phone would charge quickly plugged into the wall (went from 20% to 100% in less than an hour. But then it drained quickly (100 to 30 in 5 or so hours).

I am wondering if it wasn't a "true" 100%. I charged it overnight. I have had it off the charger for 3 hours, and had my longest conversation on it today (30 minutes), and it's still at 92%. I am not as worried as I was yesterday.
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by neile45 View Post
    Ok, after charging overnight, I have a better idea about the battery life. I think it is good. Yesterday, my phone would charge quickly plugged into the wall (went from 20% to 100% in less than an hour. But then it drained quickly (100 to 30 in 5 or so hours).

I am wondering if it wasn't a "true" 100%. I charged it overnight. I have had it off the charger for 3 hours, and had my longest conversation on it today (30 minutes), and it's still at 92%. I am not as worried as I was yesterday.
    It took me 3-4 hours to recharge from 3% to 100% yesterday. Unplugged it at 8:30 this morning, at 12:18pm now it's at 95%-- no heavy use, but checked e-mail a few times, loaded a few web pages, used Tweed a couple times, some texting and fiddling with other apps, etc. So far so good. Should be interesting to see how this thing pans out on a normal days usage.
    No problems.... Battery life has been great....
    palm m103 > palm m130 > palm TlX > 755p > PRE (FINALLY!!!!)
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peestandingup View Post
    Well I should say so. Sorry, dude. Aint happening. Whats the point of having features if u gotta turn them all off to get JUST decent battery life. I havent had to do that with my other phones & Im not starting now. Why dont we just turn the phone off altogether until we need it? Bah.

Either this improves or Pre goes bye bye.
    I partly agree with you. If a feature is *designed* to be on all the time, then the device ought to at least have some minimum standard of acceptable battery life using that feature. Of course I'm glad to have the option to increase my battery life by turning a few things off, though.
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    I can honestly say that my batter life has been 100x better today than it was yesterday. I don't know if it was simply because I am playing with it less today (though I am still using it a lot) or what but I don't anticipate the battery being a major problem for me.
    I've turned the screen brightness down all the way and that has really helped battery life. There hasn't been enough direct sunlight the past two days to see if it's still visible, but it's still plenty bright.

I've got Wifi and Bluetooth turned off most of the time myself, because I use a wired headset, and Wifi I only turn on when I need it, because it's really not designed to be turned on all the time.

I've got location services on, but anonymous data collection is turned off (not sure if that lets the GPS kick in whenever it feels like it, but that's how the description made it sound).

I've got good battery life when I don't have AIM turned on (which Palm has admitted that there's a bug with the functionality of right now.) With AIM turned on, yes, it's not good enough battery life for me, and yes that bothers me, but it sounds like they're working on a fix for this.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I've got good battery life when I don't have AIM turned on (which Palm has admitted that there's a bug with the functionality of right now.) With AIM turned on, yes, it's not good enough battery life for me, and yes that bothers me, but it sounds like they're working on a fix for this.
    Personally I wouldn't expect anything out of AIM until they have Mojo Messaging Service up. If they get that working with AIM, battery life should be almost as minimal as not running it at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyusaku View Post
    Personally I wouldn't expect anything out of AIM until they have Mojo Messaging Service up. If they get that working with AIM, battery life should be almost as minimal as not running it at all.
    Yeah, you're probably right with that, but any improvements they can make with it would be helpful. The good thing is that I don't need AIM on all the time anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by alundre View Post
    I can honestly say that my batter life has been 100x better today than it was yesterday. I don't know if it was simply because I am playing with it less today (though I am still using it a lot) or what but I don't anticipate the battery being a major problem for me.
    i totally agree. my battery is about 50% and i've been up for 8 hours playing with the phone. probably a little less than yesterday, but not much.

i think what was messing people up yesterday was the fact that we got the phone with basically a half-dead battery, were playing with it, syncing, etc. so even with a partial charge or two in there, it died pretty quickly. starting from a full charge today has made a world of difference, i think.
    What are the optimal settings for email? There was conflicting reports regarding whether push or check every 5 minutes was a bigger battery drain. For my Gmail, I have it set to check every hour because it isn't critical stuff. However, my work is currently set to push, but I could set it on 10 minute check if it really helps with the battery.