Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Minsc View Post
    Hmmm, I had pretty good luck with my battery life yesterday. I played with it pretty hard on and off over 4 hours, and it dropped 50%. That included the 1.02 firmware update. Last night I left it unplugged to see how much battery it would eat up overnight. (I have GMail pushing) It only dropped 13% in about 8 hours. Compared to my WinMo phones, that seemed better than average.

I agree with others about needing more time to evaluate - give it a couple weeks to settle into your "normal" usage patterns and then see what it's like. It's tough to draw accurate conclusions after only 1 day.
    I've had similar results, I think the phone really stands out on standby battery time without suffering from connectivity.
    I don't understand why people are surprised that their phones are dying quickly, when you're constantly browsing the internet.

1. It's a new product, you're obviously giving it far more attention than you would normally give a phone. The more you use it, the longer the screen is on, the more the CPU is used, the more data is transferred.
    2. Data transfer is nearly as power taxing as a phone call. Keep this in mind when you're messing around for hours on end. It's like this for any phone.
    3. If you want to compare the battery life, have the phones do equivalent tests! Don't just "think" you're using it the same. Actually plan it out. Say that you will stream music off of pandora for an hour, and then check the battery on both. That's a far better indicator than "I browsed the internet for a while and it died much earlier!", as browsing is a complex activity with that can easily change depending on what you do.
    The battery on mine, with standard settings and Location Services (And "Backround Data Checking or something") on, was a little bit better than my Pro and a little bit worse than my Centro the first charge or two. I changed my email to 30 mins, put the screen down all the way (still gorgeous, and I can turn up quickily for a movie or something) and left everything else alone, and only used 3% battery in 3 hours with 3 text, 1 quick phone call (hey im here, let me in) and a few emails. I think the screen brightness played a HUGE factor, just like on the Pro or centro. I turned off location services and background data checking for location this morning, and I will see how it does.

All in all, it is better than WinMo, and a little worse than PalmOS, and it is a V1.0.02 device. I am MUCH more pleased with this phone than I thought I would be. I still can't figure out how to turn off Gmail messanger though, I wish I knew that (never use it). I think Palm will have a real winner here once they fix some of the bugs, make the OS more efficient AND GET THE DARN SDK OUT!
    Quote Originally Posted by Badandy127 View Post
    Everyone should run their battery down until there's almost nothing left. Then charge it all up without taking it off the charger. That should re-calibrate the battery meter so you get more accurate results. From then on battery life and durability is maximized by trying to always keep it at a high percent.
    Precisely what I ended up doing. After a night of charging and being in a much less harsh area for reception, performance seems to be much better. I've been on the USB charger a lot (but off the charger for the past half hour) streaming Pandora the whole time, and my battery was still at 100% before I called the charger my friend again. Yesterday I was in a really bad location most of the day (had to roam onto Verizons 1xrtt (non-EVDO) most of the day. Today I have my normal sprint EVDO and I'm doing the streaming over WiFi. I didn't adjust my brightness or change my email settings, but I have the device in my pocket as I'm listening to the streaming over wifi. (This is just another data-point as we figure out how to still have fun while conserving juice.) -- Bob
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    My battery has gone down pretty quickly also but it very well could be from more than normal usage since I just got the thing and have been playing with a lot. I will not be turning down my email check interval. On my Mogul I had it set at 15 minutes and I could go 2 days between charges if I wasn't in a bad signal area where it was switching networks constantly. What good is getting email on your phone if you are notified an hour or more later? I won't be turning down the screen brightness either because what's the point of having such a nice screen if you're just going to dull it down?

I deleted the google talk account so hopefully that will conserve some battery. We'll see what the battery life is like as I get into my normal groove. It's only been a day so it's really too early to tell.
    how do you turn off auto roaming?
    Quote Originally Posted by thesolution View Post
    Same here. Left home at 6, with a 100 percent battery, to go have dinner, watched a 3 minute YouTube video using evdo, and made a 15 minute phone call and phone is down to 70 percent.
    streaming will crush the battery life.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Diako View Post
    I turned the screen all the way down. makes a big difference
    turned mine down too - set mine to the last "S" in Brightness. big diff.
    Quote Originally Posted by erod550 View Post
    My battery has gone down pretty quickly also but it very well could be from more than normal usage since I just got the thing and have been playing with a lot. I will not be turning down my email check interval. On my Mogul I had it set at 15 minutes and I could go 2 days between charges if I wasn't in a bad signal area where it was switching networks constantly. What good is getting email on your phone if you are notified an hour or more later? I won't be turning down the screen brightness either because what's the point of having such a nice screen if you're just going to dull it down?

I deleted the google talk account so hopefully that will conserve some battery. We'll see what the battery life is like as I get into my normal groove. It's only been a day so it's really too early to tell.
    exactly. a new toy gets put through its paces a lot more than regular use would.
    i wonder if fetching every email back to 2 weeks vs. 7 days makes a diff? or if it's cached anyway it does not? i use EAS and Gmail IMAP - 2 accounts total and switch from 7 days to 2 weeks. battery diff you think?
    The battery life seems shorter than my Moto Q9C. Used GPS and Pandora while driving around town for an hour (because I could!). Battery was at 50% afterwards. OTOH the Moto would have lost the Pandora feed 3 or 4 times in the same trip.
    Quote Originally Posted by mlisook View Post
    The battery life seems shorter than my Moto Q9C. Used GPS and Pandora while driving around town for an hour (because I could!). Battery was at 50% afterwards. OTOH the Moto would have lost the Pandora feed 3 or 4 times in the same trip.
    streaming will crush the battery. get a car charger.
    I am just surprised the streaming crushes it that bad.

I use my iPhone for streaming online radio and my home media with simplifymedia and I also use pandora and last.fm on it

while it obviously takes battery its not anything drastic at all
    Global Posts
    210 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jsimon9633 View Post
    I am just surprised the streaming crushes it that bad.

I use my iPhone for streaming online radio and my home media with simplifymedia and I also use pandora and last.fm on it

while it obviously takes battery its not anything drastic at all
    How are you streaming with your iphone? 3g? wifi? edge? That will tell me how to answer your question.

While it's known the iphone has longer music playback than the pre, that only applies to playing your own tunes via the ipod feature.
    Global Posts
    210 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mlisook View Post
    The Q9C comes with the extended battery standard. You will NOT get performance like that with the pre, period. Get the standard battery for your q9c and you will magically see the same performance or worse than the pre!

The q9c has a beastly battery, and it does because of the horrible battery performance that the Q had.
    Global Posts
    210 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ImmaSlave4U View Post
    Not me. I have mine on the brightest possible because it looks sharper. The iPhone screen is really sharp and I'm not going to be going around with some dull looking device. You're right though, the battery life sure isn't helped by such a move.
    The iPhone 3g with the brightness set to max will eat the battery VERY quickly....just lower it, you'll be used to it after a day and won't notice a difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by timGSU View Post
    How are you streaming with your iphone? 3g? wifi? edge? That will tell me how to answer your question.

While it's known the iphone has longer music playback than the pre, that only applies to playing your own tunes via the ipod feature.
    I stream mostly on 3G. Never wifi because I use it in the car

I use applications such as: Pandora, last.fm, pockettunes, flycast and simplifymedia.

maybe those programs are just more mature and hence not optimized for battery. I am hoping it improves for Pre
    I expect to see future version of WebOS tweaked to improve/maximize battery performance. BlackBerry has done this with the Bold. Initially, battery life was horrid. After a couple of updates (2-3 months) it was straightened out. It went from "worst ever" to one of the best models recently in the course of just a couple of updates. Give Palm a chance. They'll straighten this out. Rubinstein won't let them fail.
    Verizon
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    as others have stated, screen brightness seems to make a big difference. was draining yesterday at an alarming rate, but will give it a few days to see what "normal" usage will do after a few full charges.
    A heads up to those experiencing battery issues - after a full night of charging, my Pre battery performance has gotten exponentially better. 4 hours of heavy use and I'm just under 70% remaining.
Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast