Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    210 Global Posts
    My battery life is about the same as the iphone 3g's right now.....will need a week or two to get into "normal" usage patterns.....a lot of you might be jumping the gun.
    Mine seems to be doing pretty good so far, but it is really too early to be really *****ing about it. Top if off for a few days and then see how it goes. It typically takes a new battery a week of so to condition itself for maximum results.
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    this tip is probably buried deep in the thread anyhow so sorry for the dup but:

i'm sure brightness of the screen will kill the battery but dimness of the screen will diminish your enjoyment of it's beauty.

no 2 ways about it, can't have the cake and eat it too
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbatex View Post
    Mine seems to be doing pretty good so far, but it is really too early to be really *****ing about it. Top if off for a few days and then see how it goes. It typically takes a new battery a week of so to condition itself for maximum results.
    When I had the 800w (I still have it as a backup), it took about a week of regular use to get the battery to last longer. If this phone doesn't show any improvement within the 30 day period, I will be returning it.
    Global Posts
    930 Global Posts
    I bought Palm Centro batteries, name brand and they won't turn the Pre on, why is that? People on this board did reviews and said they worked....I'm really lost, unless both batteries are bad!!!
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    will those Seidio 1350mAh centro batteries work with the Pre?
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    keep in mind that the software might not be optimized fully yet, we may see battery life improvements in the future with upgrades. i know, i know but you want it to work now, well thats the reality of purchasing a 1.0 device.
    Remember, too, that the phone is synching with your Facebook, Google, etc. every 15 minutes. That'll take some juice.
    Everyone should run their battery down until there's almost nothing left. Then charge it all up without taking it off the charger. That should re-calibrate the battery meter so you get more accurate results. From then on battery life and durability is maximized by trying to always keep it at a high percent.
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Palm says that one issue with the battery is a bug in the Instant Messaging protocol which they're working on, so if you're getting a v1 Pre, you'll probably want to leave yourself signed out to maximize battery life.
    I noted this in the Precentral.net review of the Pre. IM would munch my Treo 755p's battery life too-- so for now I'll leave IM turned off. I've turned off GPS / location stuff too and we'll see how battery fares tomorrow (ran it down to 3% today and now recharging).

Where do I change the settings for how e-mail is being checked / how often? What would be the ideal setting? [edit- figured out how to change the frequency of syncing. Now, is less often better than "as it arrives"? I'm not clear on what's involved in simply pushing e-mails from gmail.)
    Last edited by rumz; 06/07/2009 at 03:08 AM.
    The standby time on the phone seems really good. In the last 4hrs, I used it somewhat minimally, checking twitter every so often, browsing a few webpages to show some friends and texting back and forth a bit, and only dropped about from 100% to 86% on the battery. I have all my Gmails set to as they come in(3 Gmail, 1 Google Domain) But I don't get hammered with emails. Brightness lowered a little. Wifi off, BT off and GPS off. I usually close all my apps though.
    Doesn't it take a several charge cycles until you start to get some real performance out of the battery anyway? You can't really judge by the first two days of use.
    LG TP 1100 -> Sanyo SCP-5150 -> LG PM-325 -> Nokia 1100 -> Motorola v557 -> Treo 755p -> HTC EVO 4G

Sprint customer since 2001
    Turn off auto roaming.
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by imex99 View Post
    I bought Palm Centro batteries, name brand and they won't turn the Pre on, why is that? People on this board did reviews and said they worked....I'm really lost, unless both batteries are bad!!!
    Centro batteries work fine. I see no difference in battery life. Maybe the battery you put in was just about dead? You'll have to let it charge for a bit. It is also possible to jam the battery in upside down. If you have a charged, properly inserted Centro battery it will work. I do not see any difference in the batteries.
    And yet the BB Curve 8330 will last for 2 days with GPS, BT, IM, push email, etc all on and active.

Quote Originally Posted by rposa View Post
    If you --

Have WiFi on
    GPS enabled
    Location set to ON (instead of ASK)
    *or*
    Are synching email every 10 minutes or whatever it is .. (which if you've added an email account and not messed with the settings) ..

Then you are going to EAT your battery for lunch.

This is no different that the 700p 750p Centro with Intellisync set to auto-connect to the network (and leaving it connected all day).

Even if you're not calling .. it's "calling" whenever it hits the data network. Which is every time your phone "synchs" your email..
    Quote Originally Posted by Badandy127 View Post
    Everyone should run their battery down until there's almost nothing left. Then charge it all up without taking it off the charger. That should re-calibrate the battery meter so you get more accurate results. From then on battery life and durability is maximized by trying to always keep it at a high percent.
    Not a good idea, Litihium Ion battery's are designed to be kept with a charge and just topped off. They will get damaged if you run them all the way down to dead and then recharge them.
    I would like to see some structure put to this battery life issue so users have some real data.

I wonder if it is possible to measure battery current as a function of different activities for the various popular phones? It would seem that the manufactures would have this data.
    FastFrank
    Quote Originally Posted by neile45 View Post
    Make sure you dim your screen as much as you can stand, I put mine on the lowest setting, and it's still bright enough gor me.
    Not me. I have mine on the brightest possible because it looks sharper. The iPhone screen is really sharp and I'm not going to be going around with some dull looking device. You're right though, the battery life sure isn't helped by such a move.
    "Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today, and you make your tomorrow." —L. Ron Hubbard
    Count me in with bad battery life. Was at 100% took it off charger to go eat dinner. Played with the phone the entire time (web) but it dropped to 60% in an hour
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Hmmm, I had pretty good luck with my battery life yesterday. I played with it pretty hard on and off over 4 hours, and it dropped 50%. That included the 1.02 firmware update. Last night I left it unplugged to see how much battery it would eat up overnight. (I have GMail pushing) It only dropped 13% in about 8 hours. Compared to my WinMo phones, that seemed better than average.

I agree with others about needing more time to evaluate - give it a couple weeks to settle into your "normal" usage patterns and then see what it's like. It's tough to draw accurate conclusions after only 1 day.
Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast