Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1722232425262728 LastLast
    Thanks RLovelett. i guess mine have been defective with the heat issues. i'm still gonna try your battery drain technique.. at this point i'll try anything
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pullbangdead View Post
    It's not just user error, everyone who has bad battery performance is not just incompetent. I was having quite a bit of trouble, and finally found a way to get my battery life up to what the best users are reporting. I really don't even know exactly what changed, but here's my experience.

So I was getting what a lot of people here are saying now, IO was losing 10% per hour on just idle, without even touching the phone. Screen at min brightness, no wifi, no BT, no GPS, location services off, Gmail accounts only and at all different settings of time, all the way up to 12 hours and manual. It had been drained to 5% 3 times, topped off from partial charges a couple dozen times, and nothing else I changed in the phone settings worked.

So here's what I did: I wiped all personal accounts off, e-mail, chat, everything, phone back to factory settings, did a hard reset. Then added my 3 gmail accounts back, set all to push (I receive very few, and sporadic, e-mails), and removed everything that doing this added (removed messaging accounts, removed contacts accounts, all that), and ran the battery until the phone turned itself off completely, all the way. Once it cut off, I put it back on the charger and charged it back up (mine came back on by itself after about 10 minutes on the charger, didn't have the problems others had with this). Once I did this, I did another reset (power button +toggle ringer switch 3 times) just to make sure everything was kosher, and let it charge overnight.

After doing all that, my battery lasted from 8am until now, almost 10pm, and it still has 69% of my batter left after 14 hours of light usage. Everything is set the same, or set to MORE consumption than yesterday. I have 3 e-mail accounts instead of 2, I actually turned the screen brightness back up, and turned location services back to "auto-locate" and GPS on, and yes my batter life has at least TRIPLED.

So really, it's not just user error. I toggled every single setting the phone has, and yet nothing improved my battery life until I let the phone run until it cut itself off and did a complete hard reset and re-setup of the phone. Seriously, I had to do all that to get my battery performance up, and it was my fault?

So that's my advice to people, it's the only thing that improved my battery life: Do a reset of the phone, re-install all e-mails accounts (except hotmail, according to others), remove all messaging and contact accounts (except Palm Profile, of course), and let the phone run until the battery dies, then charge it over night. It worked for me.
    I am wondering if, after adding the gmail accounts and then removing them from contact lists (etc), did you ever add the accounts back to the contact list and still see the same great battery life?
    Well even if he didn't I have turned on all contacts (FB, Gmail) and put my GMail as items arrive. Even have been using aim & gtalk after pullbangdead's steps and still getting great life. It's been like 3 days and the results have stuck.
    is there any way to save contacts before doing the "hard reset" so I don't have to redo everything?
    - i have ubuntu linux
    Quote Originally Posted by theromanone View Post
    is there any way to save contacts before doing the "hard reset" so I don't have to redo everything?
    - i have ubuntu linux
    If you do a backup first all your Palm Profile contacts should be restored after you reset and enter your Palm Profile information. Your gmail contacts, if you have them, are stored by google and will get pulled back onto the phone from google.
    Quote Originally Posted by blueaura View Post
    If you do a backup first all your Palm Profile contacts should be restored after you reset and enter your Palm Profile information. Your gmail contacts, if you have them, are stored by google and will get pulled back onto the phone from google.
    The thing is.. i just simply added phone numbers to each facebook contact (so even if person X would take their number off of facebook, I would still have their number). In this case, would this still work?

BTW I have about 25-35% after 8 hours at work, with screen off, maybe 20 minutes internet, no calls, 1 SMS, and email set to as arrives (only my gmail and school exchange e-mail are on the phone). GPS off, bluetooth off, and never leave any cards open. It's a hospital and I frequently lose get signal, but even at home with good signal it seems to be using more than what it should be (just just 3% making one call in the past 30 minutes at home). When I listenen to mp3's (with airplane mode) for 1 hour, it only dropped 7%?
    I'm guessing this can't be normal?
    Last edited by theromanone; 06/15/2009 at 10:25 AM.
    I'm getting about 48hrs if I barely touch the phone. Goes down from there the more I use it.

I'm in St. Louis and have 4 to 5 bars of EVDO most of the time. WiFi is always on and when I'm at home (I work from home) it is connected via WiFi. Gmail is set to push and GPS + location services are on all the time. Back light is at 1/3. I never have g-talk logged in.

Battery performance did seem to increase after the initial first few days.
    just swapped my phone out - said it shouldn't be as hot as it is - and my battery life was horrendous. hopefully that'll do the trick. funny thing is two tech (on on tel other in person at repair shop) said low bars would have nothing to do with battery drain!
    are you guys getting direct replacements in store?

My sprint store simply placed an "advanced exchange" order for me.
    got my exchange right at the store i first bought it at...
    a note to every one thats gonna try the hard reset, make sure your not roaming or at 1x, i had that problem and when the phone needed to reactivate the palm profile it couldnt cuz i wasnt in the network so i had to walk outside to the front sidewalk to get signal lol just some advice, so it has to be in evdo cant be in "R" or "1x"
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsavage06 View Post
    a note to every one thats gonna try the hard reset, make sure your not roaming or at 1x, i had that problem and when the phone needed to reactivate the palm profile it couldnt cuz i wasnt in the network so i had to walk outside to the front sidewalk to get signal lol just some advice, so it has to be in evdo cant be in "R" or "1x"
    It should work fine over 1X. It will simply take forever, since it's extremely slow.

I believe you can even connect to WIFI as soon as you tell it what profile you are. Then it doesn't even matter if you have 1X or EV-DO.
    Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    Ive done all the battery cycling techniques, but still have terrible battery. I took it off full charge at 8am and have made about 10 minutes of phones calls and maybe 20 sms. WiFi is on and coverage is good.

Its 1pm not and Im at 62%, which will not last me until the rest of the night. My iPhone will last a full day. However, the iPhone was not so good with the first rev, so hopefully palm can optimize their codebase and increase performance!
    really? i was in R and 1X and it was still complaining that i couldnt sing in cuz i wasnt within network coverage, i get very crappy signal here at home, but i do have wifi connected
    Quote Originally Posted by one028 View Post
    i got home around 9am with my new pre...used it until the battery died around 1130 am, charged it until around 2pm and went to work...its dead now at 9pm, with a little playing around with it and a couple phone calls.

how is everyones battery experience?

THE PRE IS NOT A MOBILE PHONE! PLUG IS IN THE PHONE HALF THE DAY!!! I just got the Pre and I am considering returning it. What good is instant email, GPS and multi app interaction if my battery can keep up with it? Nice phone with no battery!!!! Seriously Palm put a battery in the phone. I would rather it be fat and work then off and a paper weight.
    Global Posts
    412 Global Posts
    one028 - If you JUST bought the Pre, you have to give the battery a while to get up to speed, so to say.

And charging it for 2.5 hours from dead isn't a sufficient charge for even a dumb phone. You need to charge it overnight.

Same goes for you, twmmcgraw. The battery life improves a ton after a week or two of consistent charging.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade? -Trent Reznor
    I am a former iPhone user and I did frequently toggle between 3G and Edge all the time, to consume battery power.

When I am out at work or whenever I know I won't be able to charge my phone in a while...

I disable the [EV] evdo-rev-a (power vision)...and switch it on the [1x] 1xrtt (vision) which would equivalent to EDGE of [E] speeds of the iPhone when the [3G] is switched off.

**** USE @ your own risk ****
    Though there really isn't a risk involved, because earlier Sprint Power Vision Phones allowed you the option to toggle between Vision and Power Vision, with a simple easy user interface (in the settings menu)

On the pre. Pull up the dial-pad
    Enter ##3836#
    Tap on the option which should read EVDO MODE card
    .... "Data Mode" & "Hybrid Rev A" (which is a combination of 1xRTT, EvDO Rev 0, and EvDO A, one or the other is automatically selected when one isn't available...kind of like up & down-shifting effect on a car) is pre-selected...
    ...touch on that, and choose the lowest speed of internet available which is "1xRTT only" (which manually locks the phone into the lowest processing speed of internet, while EvDO Rev 0 or EvDO Rev A is available...the phone will not attempt to connect to that speed, because of this action, thus saving battery-drain)...
    ... and it'll say something about switching radio, the card will close and after a couple seconds, the [EV] indicator icon on top right portion of the screen will turn into [1x]

Note: The web/internet and web apps, will run/process slightly slower, but not much. Its not agonizingly slow as the power of the iPhone/At&t's Edge [E] was. I believe the 1xRTT is a few times faster than Edge anyhow, and EvDO is much faster than 3G but whatever. And also not...you won't be able to browse the web, and be on-a-voice call at the time...so if you're the phone and you're using turn-by-turn navigation or whatever...the app will stop or the call won't go thru.

Then at the end of the day...once you get back home or wherever, and you want faster speeds, just either do what I do. Switch it back to "Hybrid Rev A" or switch on the WiFi mode.

Hope this helps...but it also significantly helps on battery consumption too.
    (Sorry if this info was duplicated)
    Does this pertains to Pre phones, that have tweaks, patches and homebrew apps on em? I swear my phone is acting the same way...I've done all of the things, that I've seen in forum...
    Quote Originally Posted by Klownicle View Post
    Battery Life is terrible. Won't keep a charge, I had it at 40% charge went out to my dads to just doo a simple demo, nothing fancy opening cards, little internet. 30 minutes later the damn thing said warning 10% left on the way home. Didn't even do any phone calls.

No Wifi, No aim, only location services are on. Instinct got me through a good day and so with no problems. I would have hoped to at least get a day of simple use. Doesn't seem like thats possible.

Its also much warm'r then id expect to be.

Worse thing to boot, I did a GPS on it earlier today, before plugging it in and doing GPS, it was at 15%, after a 30min ride with GPS, it was at 13% unplugging it.

It uses MORE juice then a USB charge can provide.
    About it using more juice than the USB charge can provide, I had a rude awakening there. When I first got my Pre I used the Touchstone to charge it. But I wanted to transfer data so I switched to using the usb connection. Well after using it awhile I saw the battery was going down so I switched teh phone to "Just Charge" to rejuvenate the batteries.

Unfortunately, as I continued to use the phone, I noticed the battery continued to go down rather than charging up. I was doing some messaging and streaming audio. I quit that and the battery continued to drain. I had to break out the Touchstone to get the battery charging again.

It looks like I'm going to need another USB cable because the Touchstone uses the one that came with the Pre and using USB to charge the phone does not cut it. I'll have to get a second cable so I can swicth to USB when I want to transfer files and then quickly drop the phone on the Touchstone to charge it up.

The phone charges rather quickly when on the Touchstone, and you can still use the phone while it's charging there with no worries.

I haven't tried the vehicle charger yet, but I am hoping that the phone will be charging while I am using it if it's plugged into the vehicle charger. I'm beginning to think the phone will hae to be off if I want the USB cable to charge it.
    if you get the sprint 1 piece charger with no usb that plugs directly into cig lighter ,it charges twice as fast as the usb cable. I have a usb cig. Charger that I use sometimes and it is ok but slow to charge
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->