Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ... 162122232425262728 LastLast
Results 501 to 520 of 547
  1. #501  
    Quote Originally Posted by ScrapMaker View Post
    By "everything off," do you mean you have NO email linked to the phone, no IM username linked, no Facebook linked, no apps installed, and WIFI, BT, Location/bg/etc, all disabled?

    If so, then you are having some crazy signal issues.

    My first guess would be that you accidentally have IM enabled... that chews through battery like nothing else.
    I'm sorry by off I meant, all location services, bluetooth, no cards open, and I've been restarting my phone in the morning to make sure nothing was running, have never signed into gtalk, wifi off. I've started leaving wifi on though because it steadies the signal and battery is better than before. I don't watch videos and I don't listen to music. Screen brightness is about 50%. Email is set to check every hour. Basically the "features" of the phone or anything that I could use to enjoy the phone is off or I don't use. It's turning into a phone to only use on emergencies.
  2. #502  
    I think I might have solved my battery problem. My battery would not make it on a full charge for even 6 hours on idle or little use. My wife on the other hand would make it all day even with the kids watching Sprint TV. Then I realized that my mail.com account must be draining the battery and since my wife had not set up her email on her phone that had to be the difference.

    At first I had my mail.com to get mail at 15 minutes, then 30 and then even one hour. I finally noticed that it was still checking mail every 15 instead of an hour. I remembered I had an old gmail account that I had never used. So I simply forwarded my mail from mail.com to gmail and now it comes in as push. Let me tell you within the first hour this morning I have already noticed a BIG difference. My phone has been in idle for exactly one hour with light use and is still at 100%. Normally by that time I would already be in the 85% range.

    My best guess is other email accounts do not jive well with WebOS at this time or maybe it was my mail.com with the flaw. Since I want my mail to come to me, I can live with the forwarding and simply go to the mail.com site if I want to send mail from that address.
  3. #503  
    Quote Originally Posted by lopezpm View Post
    I'm sorry by off I meant, all location services, bluetooth, no cards open, and I've been restarting my phone in the morning to make sure nothing was running, have never signed into gtalk, wifi off. I've started leaving wifi on though because it steadies the signal and battery is better than before. I don't watch videos and I don't listen to music. Screen brightness is about 50%. Email is set to check every hour. Basically the "features" of the phone or anything that I could use to enjoy the phone is off or I don't use. It's turning into a phone to only use on emergencies.
    You do know that having the phone pulls email at interval chews through more powe than the push "as items arrive" right?
  4. #504  
    Quote Originally Posted by fixmdude View Post
    ...opening the calendar, then not being able to see my whole day without scrolling the screen...
    The incredible waste of screen space and no smart options (five alternative font size and "thighter space between text" settings) that force you to scroll even if pre have a twice as big screen than centro - is also in my opinion the single biggest flaw in the new webOS

    And it getting dramatically worse in Tasks, too!!

    Okay, this matter get a bit more complicated in the calendar - because there do they actually use tiny fonts (!) just as they do in many system messages - but the space BETWEEN the text is instead silly huge...

    The fact is that you need only about 33% bigger fonts / more space between text - to be able to easy navigate accurately with your fingertips - but the new design use about 75% more space and that's crazy, when you NOT get any optional settings... With plenty of good options, would that not be any problem, because then can people use any settings they like and even get BIGGER fonts... Options is also free, very caring, generous and friendly!!!!
  5. #505  
    Quote Originally Posted by tripsbacks View Post
    I think I might have solved my battery problem. My battery would not make it on a full charge for even 6 hours on idle or little use. My wife on the other hand would make it all day even with the kids watching Sprint TV. Then I realized that my mail.com account must be draining the battery and since my wife had not set up her email on her phone that had to be the difference.

    At first I had my mail.com to get mail at 15 minutes, then 30 and then even one hour. I finally noticed that it was still checking mail every 15 instead of an hour. I remembered I had an old gmail account that I had never used. So I simply forwarded my mail from mail.com to gmail and now it comes in as push. Let me tell you within the first hour this morning I have already noticed a BIG difference. My phone has been in idle for exactly one hour with light use and is still at 100%. Normally by that time I would already be in the 85% range.

    My best guess is other email accounts do not jive well with WebOS at this time or maybe it was my mail.com with the flaw. Since I want my mail to come to me, I can live with the forwarding and simply go to the mail.com site if I want to send mail from that address.

    Update: I am now at the 90 minute mark and still at 100%! That's a record for me.
  6. #506  
    Quote Originally Posted by lopezpm View Post
    I'm sorry by off I meant, all location services, bluetooth, no cards open, and I've been restarting my phone in the morning to make sure nothing was running, have never signed into gtalk, wifi off. I've started leaving wifi on though because it steadies the signal and battery is better than before. I don't watch videos and I don't listen to music. Screen brightness is about 50%. Email is set to check every hour. Basically the "features" of the phone or anything that I could use to enjoy the phone is off or I don't use. It's turning into a phone to only use on emergencies.
    I hope you only use Gmail - There is a temporary bug with Hotmail (and some similar services) that shorten batterylife dramatically, whatever "chech for email" setting you use...
  7. #507  
    Quote Originally Posted by ScrapMaker View Post
    uh, 45% over 9.5 hours is NOT BAD AT ALL FOR A SMARTPHONE.

    That's down-right amazing. I think some of the Pre-people need to go check out a Windows Mobile phone for a week or so, and realize how great the Pre really is.

    I don't think my Pre would last 9.5 hours at all.
    Really? That's good for a phone that's not doing anything but checking gmail once an hour? Overnight when few emails are coming in at that? If that really is good battery performance then I guess I have unreasonable expectations. I am pretty sure my friends with iPhones* don't lose half their battery in a work day while not using the phone at all.

    *Standard disclaimer for whenever I mention iPhones in comparison: No I don't want an iPhone. I don't like them. But it's still a reasonable device to compare the Pre to for benchmarks.
  8. #508  
    update 2: 2 hours and 5 minutes = 96% and that's with a couple of text's and 10 min of web browsing on EVDO and AOL on. Plus I had forgotten to turn wifi off here at work until just while ago.
  9. taiguy's Avatar
    Posts
    7 Posts
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    #509  
    turning off background services and instantly my battery life increased by leaps and bounds. before I was running close to 15% by about 4pm. with background services off I had my phone off the charger for a full 24 hrs and it was only at 56%
  10. #510  
    Update 3: it's now been 6.5 hours with moderate use and I am at 68%. I am on cloud nine. Now my Palm Pre is even more awesome!!
  11. #511  
    !!FINALLY!! My Pre is lasting all day with a charge and it's amazing. I kept saying that this phone was the best phone I'd ever owned if only the battery lasted. Well now it is really is the best phone I've ever owned.

    Today, the battery life on my system is 152% better than yesterday at this time, literally! I have charts and graphs to prove it!



    Basically, I followed the steps listed here by pullbangdead. Did exactly what he said to do and now I have an amazing batter life shown in my pretty graph above. Also, it's running GPS, 30% brightness, all contacts Facebook/GMail, Gmail inbox set to as they arrive!

    Did I forget to mention, I love my Pre now!?
  12. #512  
    Wow, I'm dumbfounded, I have no idea how that is happening. I'm glad it's working for you, and it worked for me, I just have no idea WHY it's working. I wish I did know, we could make a recommendation to Palm on what's actually happening.

    And those charts really are exactly how mine looked, almost carbon copy of what I was seeing. And 3 days later, mine is still going strong on the higher line up there: off the charger at 8am this morning, and it's at 86% at 2:45 in the afternoon, it's within 1% of where your line is.

    It really is unbelievable, but I'm glad it's working. I guess it has to be something in the battery control circuitry somewhere that needed to be reset. I really wish I knew what happened with my phone. But either way, I love it now! Battery was my very last reservation/worry on this phone, and now it's practically an extra perk or a feature of the phone compared to others!

    ps-I make no guarantees, and in fact take no credit, for any of the recommendations. I just compiled things that other people on here had done, and listed how I did them myself, and gave the results I got. Your mileage may vary. There, now nobody blame me if what I did doesn't help you! I hope it does though, I want everyone to experience the pure awesome that the Pre can give, and it can't be experienced without some decent battery life!
  13. #513  
    Quote Originally Posted by blueaura View Post
    Really? That's good for a phone that's not doing anything but checking gmail once an hour? Overnight when few emails are coming in at that? If that really is good battery performance then I guess I have unreasonable expectations. I am pretty sure my friends with iPhones* don't lose half their battery in a work day while not using the phone at all.

    *Standard disclaimer for whenever I mention iPhones in comparison: No I don't want an iPhone. I don't like them. But it's still a reasonable device to compare the Pre to for benchmarks.
    Yes! A Windows Mobile phone doing the same thing would not even last 9.5 hours TOTAL! His would do almost 18, assuming it was linear. that's not bad at all.

    Smartphones use a lot of power just to be on, and connected to a tower. My idle time on my Touch was about 8 hours, and my talk time was maybe 3.5 hours.
  14. palo117's Avatar
    Posts
    5 Posts
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    #514  
    I do believe that turning off all background services helps the battery life but it is very important to let your battery drain and recharge. This is what made the biggest differance for me. Hope this helps.
  15. #515  
    Quote Originally Posted by palo117 View Post
    I do believe that turning off all background services helps the battery life but it is very important to let your battery drain and recharge. This is what made the biggest differance for me. Hope this helps.
    All you are doing when you drain the battery is re-calibrating the battery meter.

    I have never turned off GPS--only the google bg info stuff. I get great battery life, even with 30-100 push emails a day. I just stay logged out of IM when I'm away from the 'stone.
  16. #516  
    Quote Originally Posted by RLovelett View Post
    !!FINALLY!! My Pre is lasting all day with a charge and it's amazing. I kept saying that this phone was the best phone I'd ever owned if only the battery lasted. Well now it is really is the best phone I've ever owned.

    Today, the battery life on my system is 152% better than yesterday at this time, literally! I have charts and graphs to prove it!



    Basically, I followed the steps listed here by pullbangdead. Did exactly what he said to do and now I have an amazing batter life shown in my pretty graph above. Also, it's running GPS, 30% brightness, all contacts Facebook/GMail, Gmail inbox set to as they arrive!

    Did I forget to mention, I love my Pre now!?
    Wow. Nice chart! lol. That's great to hear it's getting better. I hope it continues.
    LG TP 1100 -> Sanyo SCP-5150 -> LG PM-325 -> Nokia 1100 -> Motorola v557 -> Treo 755p -> HTC EVO 4G

    Sprint customer since 2001
  17. emaddox84's Avatar
    Posts
    39 Posts
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    #517  
    I took my phone off the charger at 7am this morning. It is 7:20pm now and I have 67% battery with light to light moderate use.
  18. #518  
    Rlovett did you have the battery heat issue as well?

    I'm on my 2nd palm pre,.. I think I have a 2nd defective one as it just gets so damn warm while using it. I was on the phone with sprint, and the battery dropped 1% a minute! and i had to put it on speaker since holding it up to my head and holding it in my hand was uncomfortably warm (made my hands sweat).

    Just wondering if it's correlated.
  19. #519  
    Quote Originally Posted by smartphone View Post
    Rlovett did you have the battery heat issue as well?

    I'm on my 2nd palm pre,.. I think I have a 2nd defective one as it just gets so damn warm while using it. I was on the phone with sprint, and the battery dropped 1% a minute! and i had to put it on speaker since holding it up to my head and holding it in my hand was uncomfortably warm (made my hands sweat).

    Just wondering if it's correlated.
    Did you really close any Hotmail or similar connection - except Gmail and then did a partial reset??? Hotmail and other emails (except Gmail) is the main battery burner, then come active IM and lousy reception...
    Last edited by vantechmag; 06/12/2009 at 08:34 PM. Reason: I spell wrong all the time...
  20. #520  
    @EeZeEpEe I'm an engineer data collection is in my nature. Also, FYI I bought a sedio battery (1350mAh) so look for more graphs comparing usage once that thing arrives. LOL

    @smartphone I never had an issue with heat with the Pre. I also don't use Hotmail/Live so perhaps that is why.

Posting Permissions