Page 24 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1419202122232425262728 LastLast
Results 461 to 480 of 547
  1. Patrick R's Avatar
    Posts
    67 Posts
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    #461  
    OK. Was at 50% at 6:30pm. Its now 8 and at 20%. Its being exchanged tomorrow.
    It wasn't me officer, I swear.
  2. #462  
    From reading all the battery threads i'm putting a facts and finds.. 2 biggest battery killers so are "poor signal" = phone searching and working hard to find signal... and Hotmail = battery killer

    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...r-battery.html
  3. #463  
    I am convinced the battery issues are user-error at this point. After a few adjustments, my battery is leaps abd bounds better than my Touch.
  4. the weasel's Avatar
    Posts
    7 Posts
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    #464  
    My battery life has been ridiculous the past couple of days. But today it is working like a real phone should and i am pleased with it... All i did was turn the screen brightness all the way down(which u don't even notice once u do it) AND TURN THE WIFI ON ALL THE TIME. and i use bluetooth when i drive my truck. been running almost 12 hours now and still have 31 percent battery life.

    This is with moderate use

    OWWW! I hope this helps!
  5. dbodner's Avatar
    Posts
    177 Posts
    Global Posts
    180 Global Posts
    #465  
    E-mail is not a realtime thing for me, I'm perfectly okay with manually opening gmail to read it. Unfortunately setting gmail sync to "manual" doesn't seem to be manual; I still receive mail. But "every 12 hours" stops the flow.
    I did similar. I had it on manual sync, so I dropped it to"once every 24 hours" that seemed to help.

    I'm sitting at the computer most of the work day, so I don't need two devices checking email. And I'm on call, so the REALLY important messages get to me in text messages. I need on-demand email moreso than push email. Hopefully they fix the bug in "manual" checking.

    also turned down my brightness all the way, and I echo the idea of using wifi when possible. much better on battery life than sprint data.

    today I left the house at 8 am. Just got back in at 11:30, and I still have 60% battery remaining. This is with minimal phone calls (less than average, maybe 10-15 minutes), but with about average usage with the rest (checked about 25 emails, wrote two, sent about 30 texts, checked a whole lot more, watched a handful of youtube videos, checked facebook a few times, checked weather a few times, etc).
  6. #466  
    Huh.. not sure why everyone has such horrible battery life. I have the brightness set to low, wifi off, gps off, bluetooth off, and mail set to every 30 mins.

    In just idle I go though about 1% every few hours and with limited browsing/texting/calling (20-25 mins of each) over 8 hours I went though about 25%. To me that is just fine... my HTC touch died in just hours compared. After work I heavily used the web browser and app cat. for a few hours and am currently at 56%.

    EDIT: I don't know if this makes a difference, but mine did come preloaded with 1.0.2 (or whatever)
    Last edited by LightofHonor; 06/10/2009 at 11:35 PM.
  7. Patrick R's Avatar
    Posts
    67 Posts
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    #467  
    I'm still dropping 1% every three minutes in AIRPLANE mode. I meant to swing by the sprint store today but am going to stick the original backplate back on before I do in case I can do an exchange right there.
    It wasn't me officer, I swear.
  8. #468  
    Quote Originally Posted by ScrapMaker View Post
    I am convinced the battery issues are user-error at this point. After a few adjustments, my battery is leaps abd bounds better than my Touch.
    It's not just user error, everyone who has bad battery performance is not just incompetent. I was having quite a bit of trouble, and finally found a way to get my battery life up to what the best users are reporting. I really don't even know exactly what changed, but here's my experience.

    So I was getting what a lot of people here are saying now, IO was losing 10% per hour on just idle, without even touching the phone. Screen at min brightness, no wifi, no BT, no GPS, location services off, Gmail accounts only and at all different settings of time, all the way up to 12 hours and manual. It had been drained to 5% 3 times, topped off from partial charges a couple dozen times, and nothing else I changed in the phone settings worked.

    So here's what I did: I wiped all personal accounts off, e-mail, chat, everything, phone back to factory settings, did a hard reset. Then added my 3 gmail accounts back, set all to push (I receive very few, and sporadic, e-mails), and removed everything that doing this added (removed messaging accounts, removed contacts accounts, all that), and ran the battery until the phone turned itself off completely, all the way. Once it cut off, I put it back on the charger and charged it back up (mine came back on by itself after about 10 minutes on the charger, didn't have the problems others had with this). Once I did this, I did another reset (power button +toggle ringer switch 3 times) just to make sure everything was kosher, and let it charge overnight.

    After doing all that, my battery lasted from 8am until now, almost 10pm, and it still has 69% of my batter left after 14 hours of light usage. Everything is set the same, or set to MORE consumption than yesterday. I have 3 e-mail accounts instead of 2, I actually turned the screen brightness back up, and turned location services back to "auto-locate" and GPS on, and yes my batter life has at least TRIPLED.

    So really, it's not just user error. I toggled every single setting the phone has, and yet nothing improved my battery life until I let the phone run until it cut itself off and did a complete hard reset and re-setup of the phone. Seriously, I had to do all that to get my battery performance up, and it was my fault?

    So that's my advice to people, it's the only thing that improved my battery life: Do a reset of the phone, re-install all e-mails accounts (except hotmail, according to others), remove all messaging and contact accounts (except Palm Profile, of course), and let the phone run until the battery dies, then charge it over night. It worked for me.
  9. #469  
    Quote Originally Posted by pullbangdead View Post
    It's not just user error, everyone who has bad battery performance is not just incompetent. I was having quite a bit of trouble, and finally found a way to get my battery life up to what the best users are reporting. I really don't even know exactly what changed, but here's my experience.

    So I was getting what a lot of people here are saying now, IO was losing 10% per hour on just idle, without even touching the phone. Screen at min brightness, no wifi, no BT, no GPS, location services off, Gmail accounts only and at all different settings of time, all the way up to 12 hours and manual. It had been drained to 5% 3 times, topped off from partial charges a couple dozen times, and nothing else I changed in the phone settings worked.

    So here's what I did: I wiped all personal accounts off, e-mail, chat, everything, phone back to factory settings, did a hard reset. Then added my 3 gmail accounts back, set all to push (I receive very few, and sporadic, e-mails), and removed everything that doing this added (removed messaging accounts, removed contacts accounts, all that), and ran the battery until the phone turned itself off completely, all the way. Once it cut off, I put it back on the charger and charged it back up (mine came back on by itself after about 10 minutes on the charger, didn't have the problems others had with this). Once I did this, I did another reset (power button +toggle ringer switch 3 times) just to make sure everything was kosher, and let it charge overnight.

    After doing all that, my battery lasted from 8am until now, almost 10pm, and it still has 69% of my batter left after 14 hours of light usage. Everything is set the same, or set to MORE consumption than yesterday. I have 3 e-mail accounts instead of 2, I actually turned the screen brightness back up, and turned location services back to "auto-locate" and GPS on, and yes my batter life has at least TRIPLED.

    So really, it's not just user error. I toggled every single setting the phone has, and yet nothing improved my battery life until I let the phone run until it cut itself off and did a complete hard reset and re-setup of the phone. Seriously, I had to do all that to get my battery performance up, and it was my fault?

    So that's my advice to people, it's the only thing that improved my battery life: Do a reset of the phone, re-install all e-mails accounts (except hotmail, according to others), remove all messaging and contact accounts (except Palm Profile, of course), and let the phone run until the battery dies, then charge it over night. It worked for me.
    You're getting pretty similar results to mine. I think the main thing that kills battery is Messaging (AIM, GTalk) as that is the only thing I haven't really used. I do have over 250 contacts from facebook and that hasn't seemed to hurt it any.
  10. #470  
    Well I've definitely discovered my culprit. I had absolutely everything turned off with no use of the phone at all other than to turn on the screen and check the battery, and I was losing 10% an hour. I leave work and head home and begin losing at most 2% battery an hour, which is amazing.

    I get terrible signal at work, and often lose phone calls, so it seems that the pre sucks up a lot of battery when it is constantly looking for a signal. Any way to avoid this? I talked to a friend of mine with an iPhone, and he says the same thing will happen when he is flying. So it seems for the time being, until my office is moved, I just need to leave my Pre plugged in.

    This thing is freaking awesome now that I've got that one problem settled, I'm a happy buyer
    Last edited by jorenrapini; 06/11/2009 at 09:49 AM.
  11. #471  
    Quote Originally Posted by pullbangdead View Post
    It's not just user error, everyone who has bad battery performance is not just incompetent. I was having quite a bit of trouble, and finally found a way to get my battery life up to what the best users are reporting. I really don't even know exactly what changed, but here's my experience.

    So I was getting what a lot of people here are saying now, IO was losing 10% per hour on just idle, without even touching the phone. Screen at min brightness, no wifi, no BT, no GPS, location services off, Gmail accounts only and at all different settings of time, all the way up to 12 hours and manual. It had been drained to 5% 3 times, topped off from partial charges a couple dozen times, and nothing else I changed in the phone settings worked.

    So here's what I did: I wiped all personal accounts off, e-mail, chat, everything, phone back to factory settings, did a hard reset. Then added my 3 gmail accounts back, set all to push (I receive very few, and sporadic, e-mails), and removed everything that doing this added (removed messaging accounts, removed contacts accounts, all that), and ran the battery until the phone turned itself off completely, all the way. Once it cut off, I put it back on the charger and charged it back up (mine came back on by itself after about 10 minutes on the charger, didn't have the problems others had with this). Once I did this, I did another reset (power button +toggle ringer switch 3 times) just to make sure everything was kosher, and let it charge overnight.

    After doing all that, my battery lasted from 8am until now, almost 10pm, and it still has 69% of my batter left after 14 hours of light usage. Everything is set the same, or set to MORE consumption than yesterday. I have 3 e-mail accounts instead of 2, I actually turned the screen brightness back up, and turned location services back to "auto-locate" and GPS on, and yes my batter life has at least TRIPLED.

    So really, it's not just user error. I toggled every single setting the phone has, and yet nothing improved my battery life until I let the phone run until it cut itself off and did a complete hard reset and re-setup of the phone. Seriously, I had to do all that to get my battery performance up, and it was my fault?

    So that's my advice to people, it's the only thing that improved my battery life: Do a reset of the phone, re-install all e-mails accounts (except hotmail, according to others), remove all messaging and contact accounts (except Palm Profile, of course), and let the phone run until the battery dies, then charge it over night. It worked for me.
    Everything you just mentioned is user-controlled/error. Email settings, WIFI, BT, location, where you keep your phone (signal-wise,) etc. It sounds like there might have been a problem with your gmail accounts, I don't know what that would be, but I have my gmail set to push, and I get hundreds of emails a day... my phone is beeping every 30 seconds or so, and my battery life is still much better than everyone who is complaining.

    I have a sneaking suspicion that the majority of people talking about battery issues are:

    1) In low-signal areas
    2) Have Live/Hotmail setup (bug)
    3) Have email set to push/short-interval/manual (yeah it's a bug)
    4) Are logged in IM (bug)
    5) Have never used a Smartphone before.

    On any Smartphone I've owned, if the phone starts acting VERY strange---like, I don't know, draining the battery 10% per hour in airplane mode--the obvious/instinctual response would be to hard-reset the phone. If that doesn't fix it, then you have faulty hardware. If it DOES fix it, then you start re-installing apps/accounts/etc until you run into problems again.

    This all seems standard in my book. I feel a bit sorry for those of you who didn't know what to expect. I can say I'm pleasantly surprised, coming from my HTC Touch.
  12. #472  
    Quote Originally Posted by jorenrapini View Post
    Well I've definitely discovered my culprit. I had absolutely everything turned off with no use of the phone at all other than to turn on the screen and check the battery, and I was losing 10% an hour. I leave work and head home and begin losing at most 2% battery an hour, which is amazing.

    I get terrible signal at work, and often lose phone calls, so it seems that the pre sucks up a lot of battery when it is constantly looking for a signal. Any way to avoid this? I talked to a friend of mine with an iPhone, and he says the same thing will happen when he is flying. So it seems for the time being, until my office is moved, I just need to leave my Pre plugged in.

    This thing is freaking awesome now that I've got that one problem settled, I'm a happy buyer
    I used to work in an office building that had horrible reception. I had a Verizon phone that worked great but would get completely drained by the time I headed out to my car at the end of the day. I eventually had to turn my phone off for most of the day...or at least when I was in the building.
  13. #473  
    Quote Originally Posted by ScrapMaker View Post
    Everything you just mentioned is user-controlled/error. Email settings, WIFI, BT, location, where you keep your phone (signal-wise,) etc. It sounds like there might have been a problem with your gmail accounts, I don't know what that would be, but I have my gmail set to push, and I get hundreds of emails a day... my phone is beeping every 30 seconds or so, and my battery life is still much better than everyone who is complaining.

    EVERY seeting on my phone is exactly the same now as it was before. NOTHING is different on my phone. There was no setting wrong, there was nothing wrong with any programs. The settings are the same, and yet the battery life tripled. I know it's easy to say "user error", but if EVERY setting is exactly the same, then there's nothing wrong with the settings.

    I have a sneaking suspicion that the majority of people talking about battery issues are:

    1) In low-signal areas Nope, excellent EVDO everywhere.
    2) Have Live/Hotmail setup (bug) Nope, don't even have one.
    3) Have email set to push/short-interval/manual (yeah it's a bug) Tried every time setting possible before and nothing improved it, now it's on PUSh and is excellent, even though PUSH and everything else ALL resulted in bad performance before.
    4) Are logged in IM (bug) Nope, no account ever added on the phone.
    5) Have never used a Smartphone before. Nope, have had several.

    On any Smartphone I've owned, if the phone starts acting VERY strange---like, I don't know, draining the battery 10% per hour in airplane mode--the obvious/instinctual response would be to hard-reset the phone. Did reset the phone, I had reset it in every way I know how to reset a phone, and it didn't improve battery life. If that doesn't fix it, then you have faulty hardware. That's what I thought too.If it DOES fix it, then you start re-installing apps/accounts/etc until you run into problems again. Again, the hard reset itself DIDN'T fix the problem. What fixed the problem was letting the battery run until the phone died. On what phone has that EVER been standard operating procedure?

    This all seems standard in my book. I feel a bit sorry for those of you who didn't know what to expect. I can say I'm pleasantly surprised, coming from my HTC Touch.
    Well excuse me for not knowing ahead of time that the only thing that would give me halfway decent battery life was a counter-intuitive action (letting the battery run until it died completely) that I have never seen recommended for any other battery ever, before this one. Seriously dude, the "everyone's stupid but me" is NOT the answer. I know, it makes no sense, there is no chemical reason why a Li-ion battery had to be discharged until circuitry cut it off before I would start getting good performance. BUT IT HAPPENED, and it had NOTHING to do with the settings on my phone. Seriously, I do this one little thing, a thing which goes against all logic, and my battery life TRIPLES when using the exact same settings; but somehow according to you, my settings were wrong and I shouldn't have complained because I "didn't know what to expect".

    I can't speak for anyone else, but there was no user error on my phone, unless you somehow claim that I should have known all along that I needed to run the battery until it died completely before it would last to it's full capacity.
  14. #474  
    Guys just posted here
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...nder-pref.html

    Run the quick test, mine failed. wifi hardware issue.
    huge battery drain issues on mine..
    guess i'll try to find a sprint store today that has it in stock to exchange
  15. #475  
    Quote Originally Posted by pullbangdead View Post
    It's not just user error, everyone who has bad battery performance is not just incompetent. I was having quite a bit of trouble, and finally found a way to get my battery life up to what the best users are reporting. I really don't even know exactly what changed, but here's my experience.

    So I was getting what a lot of people here are saying now, IO was losing 10% per hour on just idle, without even touching the phone. Screen at min brightness, no wifi, no BT, no GPS, location services off, Gmail accounts only and at all different settings of time, all the way up to 12 hours and manual. It had been drained to 5% 3 times, topped off from partial charges a couple dozen times, and nothing else I changed in the phone settings worked.

    So here's what I did: I wiped all personal accounts off, e-mail, chat, everything, phone back to factory settings, did a hard reset. Then added my 3 gmail accounts back, set all to push (I receive very few, and sporadic, e-mails), and removed everything that doing this added (removed messaging accounts, removed contacts accounts, all that), and ran the battery until the phone turned itself off completely, all the way. Once it cut off, I put it back on the charger and charged it back up (mine came back on by itself after about 10 minutes on the charger, didn't have the problems others had with this). Once I did this, I did another reset (power button +toggle ringer switch 3 times) just to make sure everything was kosher, and let it charge overnight.

    After doing all that, my battery lasted from 8am until now, almost 10pm, and it still has 69% of my batter left after 14 hours of light usage. Everything is set the same, or set to MORE consumption than yesterday. I have 3 e-mail accounts instead of 2, I actually turned the screen brightness back up, and turned location services back to "auto-locate" and GPS on, and yes my batter life has at least TRIPLED.

    So really, it's not just user error. I toggled every single setting the phone has, and yet nothing improved my battery life until I let the phone run until it cut itself off and did a complete hard reset and re-setup of the phone. Seriously, I had to do all that to get my battery performance up, and it was my fault?

    So that's my advice to people, it's the only thing that improved my battery life: Do a reset of the phone, re-install all e-mails accounts (except hotmail, according to others), remove all messaging and contact accounts (except Palm Profile, of course), and let the phone run until the battery dies, then charge it over night. It worked for me.
    I think that part of the problem may be that the circuitry needed to be recalibrated. This is accomplished by running the battery all the way down. See the following thread for more discussion:
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post1663260
  16. #476  
    Well I might be going against the grain but being that my job and apt has low signal if that I leave wifi on all the time and since that discovery and leaving it on sprint only service my battery normalized....

    I also noticed that in roam 10% drain in an hour is an understatement this is also where the heating of the back of the phone comes into play
  17. #477  
    Quote Originally Posted by Impulsebuyer View Post
    Well I might be going against the grain but being that my job and apt has low signal if that I leave wifi on all the time and since that discovery and leaving it on sprint only service my battery normalized....

    I also noticed that in roam 10% drain in an hour is an understatement this is also where the heating of the back of the phone comes into play
    You mean 1X, not roam.
  18. #478  
    1x and R .. Which is roaming on auto because it tries to pickup the verizon network

    I also forgot to mention that having my pre in on of those magnetic cases might now have helped...
  19. Patrick R's Avatar
    Posts
    67 Posts
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    #479  
    I have figured out why my phone has crap battery. Whenever the cdma radio is used the phone overheats and loses all signal. I'm 99% sure the radio is bad, sincei can't touch the back of the phone when the radio is used. Its just to hot.
    It wasn't me officer, I swear.
  20. KJ78's Avatar
    Posts
    838 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    #480  
    My battery problem seems to be related to GPS. I work in a high rise, lots of concrete and steel. Lots of other high rises are nearby to block signals too. There is no way the GPS radio can make a connection at my work so just turning it off has helped a lot.

    As I was writing this I tried a ##3836# and switched to EVDO only. That seems to have picked up the data speed a lot. I'll know more for sure tomorrow as I am leaving work and don't have time to test now.

Posting Permissions