Page 23 of 28 FirstFirst ... 131819202122232425262728 LastLast
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Ok. I am definitely getting an exchange. Dropping 2% every minute while just using the calc is just not right. And the phone has no linked accounts right now as well. I could take the 2% an hour drop in standby, but not this.
    It wasn't me officer, I swear.
    OK, 4th day is the charm for me - Only dropped 2% in 2 hours with BT on, push exchange, wifi and 3 cards open. Only one quick call, but it seems to be getting better everyday.
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbatex View Post
    OK, 4th day is the charm for me - Only dropped 2% in 2 hours with BT on, push exchange, wifi and 3 cards open. Only one quick call, but it seems to be getting better everyday.
    I guess I'll give mine a couple of more days. I don't have any of those features on among everything else being off, and I lose 10% an hour with no usage. . . Otherwise, I'll keep trying to exchange them until my 30 days are up!
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick R View Post
    Ok. I am definitely getting an exchange. Dropping 2% every minute while just using the calc is just not right. And the phone has no linked accounts right now as well. I could take the 2% an hour drop in standby, but not this.
    Try hard-resetting it first.
    Don't know how much of this is anectodal, but turning GPS off and setting Google mail to retreive every 12 hours has solved the "draining in standby" problem for me.

E-mail is not a realtime thing for me, I'm perfectly okay with manually opening gmail to read it. Unfortunately setting gmail sync to "manual" doesn't seem to be manual; I still receive mail. But "every 12 hours" stops the flow.

Silly little bugs like this need to be squashed already!
    ok here is mine

6am - 100%
    now it's 3pm and I have 76%

between 6am and 3pm i did

read 10 emails, checked apple store 5 times, watched 4 youtube videos each aroung 4min lenght, tweeted, went to everythingpre.com forum... much nicer than precentral.net forum sent ~10 text messages

I have wifi turned on all the time
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Talking about re-setting. I do want to note that in my trial-and-error attempts at improving battery life, my phone did lock up twice. I had to remove the battery to get the Pre going again. Perhaps that action combined with my other actions helped re-set it to perform properly. It's worth a try even though Palm doesn't recommend removing the battery. What I do know is I'm getting INSANELY good battery life. Too good in fact. I'm worried something is going on because I think I'm now breaking laws of nature and physics with my ridiculously long battery life.
    Quote Originally Posted by dizzle23 View Post
    Here are the results for my second hour with background services off

11:44 49%
    12:04 48%
    12:29 44%
    12:44 43%

it looks like the second hour was a little better....again i dont' know why.

I'm now going on my lunch break where I'll be in my car and at my hotel where i geet near maximum signal. I'll report back letting you guys know how it performs

after my test in car/hotel, i'll switch my gmail to manual for the rest of my day at work to test ScrapMaker's suggestion.

thanks again
    For the hotel/car test, where my signal strength was at its peak the whole time, i lost 5% in an hour with background services ON.

that's a little better than with background services off when i only had 1-2 bars

this makes me think that the period in which I lost 20% in an hour, my pre was searching for a signal some of the time and thus using a lot of power.

I now changed my gmail to fetch every 12 hours, so it won't fetch the rest of the time i'm at work. I'll see what kind of life i get.
    For the hotel/car test, where my signal strength was at its peak the whole time, i lost 5% in an hour with background services ON.

that's a little better than with background services off when i only had 1-2 bars

this makes me think that the period in which I lost 20% in an hour, my pre was searching for a signal some of the time and thus using a lot of power.

I now changed my gmail to fetch every 12 hours, so it won't fetch the rest of the time i'm at work. I'll see what kind of life i get.
    In 10 minutes I lost 3 %. I noticed that I had 1 bar, then 0 bars, then it switched to 0 bars and 1X

I turned on WiFi, let's see what happens.
    Quote Originally Posted by Young HoV 718 View Post
    and Natalie get a day and a half wtf!
    [/url]
    A day and a Half??....what, did she have it off?
    I changed my mail.com to check for mail every hour, which is down from every 30 minutes. This made a impact and my phone will drop 10 percent every hour now. As long as I can make it to the 10 hour mark with moderate use I'll be happy.

My wife has no POP3 email set up on hers yet and her battery last mor than a day before a recharge is needed. So the email client must really guzzle the gasoline.
    Seems as though the phone might have been release a tad bit prematurely...

In any case, I'm happy with it... Just would need some palm update love...
    From 7:30a.m to 3 p.m. it is down to 42%

Uses:
    Pandora been on from 12 to 3 p.m.
    Played on the apps, browsed the app catalog, internet, etc...
    Bluetooth on
    Text messaging.

This is the first official day of having it.
    In 10 minutes I lost 3 %. I noticed that I had 1 bar, then 0 bars, then it switched to 0 bars and 1X

I turned on WiFi, let's see what happens.
    lost 20% in an hour again.

tried turning wifi on....battery was getting murdered.

took wifi off, battery was getting murdered

during the hour the phone would get warm every now and then as well

the only conclusion i can come to is that there are periods while i'm at work where the phone loses signal and is searching, and thus gets warm.

This is unaccepatble. I had a BB 8830 before this and never had this problem. Palm needs to fix the issue with reception and searching for a signal before july 5th otherwise this thing is going back,

I now have 10% battery lieft, couldn't even get it through a day of work. I got it through yesterday, but not today, absolutely unacceptable.

if anyone has a suggestion, or sees something i might have missed please feel free to tell me.

boooo palm booo
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Hmm. Unplugged mine at 9am today. Right now its 2pm and I'm at 36%. This includes a hard reset and having to reload all my apps and havingtwo imap accounts reenabled along with about an hour and a half of constant web usage in an area of low signal, ie one bar or so of evdo. It also downloaded about 100 emails in the background. I have noticed that the phone is randomly connecting to sprint for about 20 seconds even with no apps open. My battery is getting better, but is still not great. Oh, I also opened google maps for a few to show it off. And its down to 35% right now as I type this on the phone.
    It wasn't me officer, I swear.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    So do we think having email accounts set up as item arrives makes the battery life better or worse than like having it set to 30 min? I have read people having luck both ways.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    So do we think having email accounts set up as item arrives makes the battery life better or worse than like having it set to 30 min? I have read people having luck both ways.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruedawg View Post
    I think it depends on how many emails you get.

for example....if you only get like 5-10 emails a day....it's better to have it set to as they arrive....if u set it to every 30 min in this case, the pre will be using data every 30 min just to check to see if u have email, which you probably wont, thus wasting battery for no reason

however....if u get a lot of emails....like hundreds a day, then setting it to as they arrive will kill your pre because every few minutes it will be using data to get ur emails. In this case, it would be better to set an interval because it will reduce the number of times it is grabbing data.
    I am now at 11hrs with 60% remaining after yesterdays 6 hrs to shutdown. Hotmail was the culprit on mine. I even turned my brightness back up a little. 3 email accounts checked all day long set to 12 hrs and/or as they arrive. numerous texts, 5 calls, Missed Sprints call, The battery is no longer my main concern, This forum is a great source of info. Thanks.
    I have had the same battery issues as many of you... After buying a production model Pre on Saturday, I was shocked to see that I only got about 5 hours of battery life with moderate use after charging it to 100%. I made sure to update to 1.0.2, turned off data collection and I've never set up any IM or hotmail accounts on the device. After a couple of days of use, things did improve a little, probably because the battery was conditioned / calibrated a little better and probably also because I played with it a little less. But still, I was only getting about 8 hours with light to moderate use which is a lot less than I expected from experience with previous Pres.

This is my 8th smartphone so yes I know what to expect (Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Motorola Q, iPhone, iPhone 3G, T-Mobile G1, Pre). The only other phone I've had which even comes close in terms of bad battery life was the G1 and even that was a little better.

I did notice the same thing that others have reported where the the Sprint signal meter never seems to stand still. According to Sprint I should have 5 bars at my (home) office, but I have never actually achieved that with any phone. My Motorola Q always shows a steady 2 bars here without wavering and my Treo 700p (yuck) holds rock steady at 3 bars. By contrast my Pre will waver from no signal (0 bars) to 5 bars and back pretty much non-stop. Most of its time is spent at 1 or 2 bars.

So I tried doing the opposite of the other people in this thread: instead of turning off everything except the phone, I turned off the phone using airplane mode and turned everything else back on (Bluetooth, WiFi and Activesync push email). I then fired up processor-sucking Pandora and listened to music streamed from the internet to the phone via WiFi, and from the phone to my headphones via Bluetooth. In other words, non-stop processor, WiFi and Bluetooth usage.

It's been 3 hours and my battery has only only dropped 45%. This extrapolates out to over 6 hours of non-stop WiFi and Bluetooth usage with Pandora! (And while receiving occasional push email in the background "as items arrive.") That seems much more reasonable. To me this indicates that a large part of my problem is the CDMA (Sprint) radio or the software driving the CDMA radio. So as soon as my local store gets more Pres in stock I will exchange it hoping to get one with a better radio (and a better screen). I also complained to Sprint and they are sending me a free Airave to see if that helps.

I discovered some other very interesting things during my tests. The Bluetooth radio in my Pre is very powerful. I can place the Pre in one corner of my townhouse and listen to music with my headphones at the opposite corner with no drop outs. None of my (many) real computers can match that. So I put my Pre in my pocket and went for a stroll to test the WiFi and I was able to get a full block from my house and still maintain a connection. Because radios like WiFi and Bluetooth follow the inverse square law it's possible the Pre is wasting a lot of power unnecessarily. In my opinion, the Pre Bluetooth and WiFi have more than twice the range necessary and thus it's quite possible the Pre is wasting more than 4 times as much power on these radios as necessary.