Page 22 of 28 FirstFirst ... 121718192021222324252627 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by PghPatti View Post
    Can someone tell me how to set the length of time for email accounts to check for mail?

Thanks!
    but i have one of my accounts set to MANUAL and it still queries the server on its own! very frustrating!
    Quote Originally Posted by timGSU View Post
    Just a note on my usage....after using Sprint Nav for 25 min my battery is down to 84%. Don't know what to think about that, but I don't like it.
    I would never expect any phone to run a navigation app on battery only for very long.
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin
    Quote Originally Posted by eddieras View Post
    but i have one of my accounts set to MANUAL and it still queries the server on its own! very frustrating!
    Change it to 24 or 12 hours. The manual setting does not seem to work - it still polls at some interval. 12 hours does work. Also, each account will automatically sync when you open the Inbox.
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin
    OK so it looks like the biggest factor in battery life (other than Hotmail, which is a known bug) is signal strength. If you don't have a consistent strong signal, the phone will chew through battery like that Japanese guy at a hot dog eating contest.

Some people have suggested turning the phone to airplane mode, but that is just more of the same B.S. that everyone else is suggesting as "battery saving tips". They all amount to: turn off everything cool and useful. What's the point then? If I can't do anything cool or useful I might as well just keep my old BB Pearl. At least that can go 2+ days on a charge with moderate use (no, it's not 3G and I realize that's a big factor...but if I have to turn off everything on my Pre then the Pearl is infinitely more useful).

Does anyone know to what extent it's possible to address this in software? If it can be fixed in software, I may just hold out. If it can't, I'll probably return my Pre and wait for the next revision. With battery performance like this, Palm should really throw in a free spare battery or charger! The Sprint store wanted to charge me $39 for a second charger!
    Quote Originally Posted by blueaura View Post
    OK so it looks like the biggest factor in battery life (other than Hotmail, which is a known bug) is signal strength. If you don't have a consistent strong signal, the phone will chew through battery like that Japanese guy at a hot dog eating contest.

Some people have suggested turning the phone to airplane mode, but that is just more of the same B.S. that everyone else is suggesting as "battery saving tips". They all amount to: turn off everything cool and useful. What's the point then? If I can't do anything cool or useful I might as well just keep my old BB Pearl. At least that can go 2+ days on a charge with moderate use (no, it's not 3G and I realize that's a big factor...but if I have to turn off everything on my Pre then the Pearl is infinitely more useful).

Does anyone know to what extent it's possible to address this in software? If it can be fixed in software, I may just hold out. If it can't, I'll probably return my Pre and wait for the next revision. With battery performance like this, Palm should really throw in a free spare battery or charger! The Sprint store wanted to charge me $39 for a second charger!
    I agree - I have always thought the same thing with my WM devices - if I have to turn everything off, why do I even have these features??

But yes, I have seen in the past with other platforms solid battery improvements with sw upgrades. I am sure there will be some Pre/Sprint optimizing for signal strength as well as some internal Pre optimization for better battery life. Really, the only thing I have really changed is turning wifi on all the time when I am at my desk - which is 90% of the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbatex View Post
    I agree - I have always thought the same thing with my WM devices - if I have to turn everything off, why do I even have these features??

But yes, I have seen in the past with other platforms solid battery improvements with sw upgrades. I am sure there will be some Pre/Sprint optimizing for signal strength as well as some internal Pre optimization for better battery life. Really, the only thing I have really changed is turning wifi on all the time when I am at my desk - which is 90% of the time.
    Unfortunately I don't have WiFi at work, which is where I spend the bulk of my day and where I have the worst signal. I enable WiFi at home, but I have good signal strength there and I don't spend a whole lot of time there (other than sleeping) anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by blueaura View Post
    Unfortunately I don't have WiFi at work, which is where I spend the bulk of my day and where I have the worst signal. I enable WiFi at home, but I have good signal strength there and I don't spend a whole lot of time there (other than sleeping) anyway.
    I'm probably looking at this very differently than other folks.

I had assumed all along that I would need to charge the phone at various intervals throughout the day, depending on my use on a given day. I ordered the dual-location touchstone kit and now have a touchstone at my desk, and at my house. When I'm at the desk I drop the phone on, when I leave I pick it up and toss it in my pocket. At home I dock it at night so it charges overnight.

I don't see this as a problem for the way that I work, personally. I can get through a full day, but my charge will be pretty much depleted, if I happen to be on the road all day on a given day. Again, this isn't an issue for me, because pretty much every smartphone I've owned - and that's all I have used for the past 8+ years - has had this limitation.

Basically the more functionality I want, the more battery that is consumed. The cost of that functionality is recharging the phone when I can. I live with that limitation and have for years (including the past two years with iPhones).

The biggest difference I see at the moment - and I expect a software update can/will address this - is idle power consumption. If I didn't use my iPhone extensively for a day, I could usually avoid charging it overnight and it was still enough to get me through the bulk of the next day (again, depending on usage). I'm not yet confident that trying to go two days on a single charge would work on the Pre.

My real complaint (given that I accept the above as acceptable operating guidelines) is that they didn't throw a touchstone in the box. I don't have an issue with buying an additional one if I want one at two locations, but they should have included the first one when you bought the Pre.
    I seem to be having the same problem as a lot of people when it comes to signal strength.

I've been reading this forum every day to see what issues other people are having, and it seems like hotmail and signals strength (indpendently) are the biggest culprits.

I have conditioned my battery for three days, so i will not do it anymore, but here are my results from today.

took phone off charger at 7:00 AM (100%)

I have Exchange set to as it arrives, and gmail set to 10 minutes
    Location services on, GPS on, WIFI Off, BT, Off Background services on

from 7:00 AM - 9:00 AM I was driving and was at my hotel with very good signal, went from 100% - 97% in mainly standby (did receive a few emails)

once I got to work, where I fluctuate between 1-2 bars, i went from 97% to 87% in about 45 min.

I have now turned off Background services to see if that improves the abttery life. If it does not, I am going to drop my phone off at my hotel for the second half of the day to see how it responds....I will let you all know.

Any suggestions would be appreciated
    I think the thing that would make the biggest difference to most people is a "turn of 3G" option like the iphone has. That would basically alleviate the signal drain issue when you are in a building with bad signal. That should be in a firmware update SOON! As is, switching to wifi, when thats an option, seems to have the same basic effect.

The ideal thing would be to give all the "Constant on" apps like messaging and email a setting so that when 3G is off they update less often or not at all. Then ad the 3G switch where the battery and wifi settings are on the upper right menu and things would be all good.

Luckily I have wifi at work and home but for others I think this would be the best fix.
    Quote Originally Posted by raremage View Post
    I'm probably looking at this very differently than other folks.

I had assumed all along that I would need to charge the phone at various intervals throughout the day, depending on my use on a given day. I ordered the dual-location touchstone kit and now have a touchstone at my desk, and at my house. When I'm at the desk I drop the phone on, when I leave I pick it up and toss it in my pocket. At home I dock it at night so it charges overnight.

I don't see this as a problem for the way that I work, personally. I can get through a full day, but my charge will be pretty much depleted, if I happen to be on the road all day on a given day. Again, this isn't an issue for me, because pretty much every smartphone I've owned - and that's all I have used for the past 8+ years - has had this limitation.

Basically the more functionality I want, the more battery that is consumed. The cost of that functionality is recharging the phone when I can. I live with that limitation and have for years (including the past two years with iPhones).
    The reason most people don't see it like that, (I do, but most do not,) is that people who are getting the Pre are not necessarily Smartphone users... They come from the iPhone, or WOULD have gotten the iPhone. Yes, there are plenty of us who know what to expect, but these people who are new to the trade will be sorely disappointed, unfortunately.

My biggest concern is that when I NEED my phone to last a long time, that it can. If I turn off BT, WIFI, and set my email to MANUAL, that, assuming I have decent signal, I can last 2 days or so. This would be a necessity at times, and my HTC Touch definitely could not do this. I am accustomed to having a car charger in my car, a car charger in my laptop bag, a wall charger in my car, a wall charger in my laptop bag, another next to my bed, and finally, one that I use around the house, depending on where I am--watching TV for example.

What sucks for me, is I can't stand charging this thing with the USB cable. The phone is annoying to hold, to turn on, and to use in general. When it's on the Touchstone, it's surprisingly-easy to use. I find myself even picking up the phone AND Touchstone and using it. My fingers push against the Touchstone in such a way that makes it pretty comfortable.

My problem is now--that I will need a LOT of Touchstones, and that ain't gonna happen. I am SERIOUSLY thinking of making my own, since inductive charging is not special at all. I would just have to determine the number of wraps to make in my own Touchstone, and hopefully those disassembly photos I saw yesterday can make this happen.

I'm not excited that they use a new charger-standard either. I keep hearing REPEATEDLY that it was really amazing of Palm to use the standard MicroUSB connector. I heard this probably a dozen times, from many videos, and reviews, but it's definitely not the same as "MicroUSB." This is MiniUSB, or something different. It's the same as the Samsung Rant, I believe, but it sure as hell won't accept the "MicroUSB" connection that is used on all my WM phones, Tom Tom, and about 5 other devices I own.

Now I have to buy a ton of new chargers and cables.
    Quote Originally Posted by SPOnG Lupos View Post
    I think the thing that would make the biggest difference to most people is a "turn of 3G" option like the iphone has. That would basically alleviate the signal drain issue when you are in a building with bad signal. That should be in a firmware update SOON! As is, switching to wifi, when thats an option, seems to have the same basic effect.

The ideal thing would be to give all the "Constant on" apps like messaging and email a setting so that when 3G is off they update less often or not at all. Then ad the 3G switch where the battery and wifi settings are on the upper right menu and things would be all good.

Luckily I have wifi at work and home but for others I think this would be the best fix.
    3G only uses more power on AT&T. With Sprint, EV-DO actually uses LESS power. You most definitely would not want to turn it off, hence the reason that there is no option.
    Doing my own battery test today, after reading this thread.

7:30 Am : Full charge leaving the house...did not plug into car charger on way to work

8:30ish : Started reading this thread, made certain changes....ie...turn off, BT, GPS, WIFI(Surprisingly I work for a telecom company and there isnt a WIFI signal in here)

9:00 : Checked couple emails, im a couple friends on AIM, 2 short phone calls.....checked App store, couple other sites...also made sure all notifications from Tweed, AP, and the Sports app are off

11:00 : Was reading about Gmail Talk Contacts and having that online....well I dont have any Gmail Talk contacts so I removed this from msg'ing....only have AIM contacts.

Its now 12:10 and I am at 63%....probably will use BT while on lunch and driving.

I do have a car charger and a USB charger here at work...but I want to see what my battery life is going to be like.
    Quote Originally Posted by SPOnG Lupos View Post

If that would truly help battery life, it would be a Godsend. I don't need 3G at work since I'm in front a computer the whole time, but I do want to receive phone calls and text messages.
    Quote Originally Posted by ScrapMaker View Post
    3G only uses more power on AT&T. With Sprint, EV-DO actually uses LESS power. You most definitely would not want to turn it off, hence the reason that there is no option.
    Damn, well so much for that idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by dizzle23 View Post
    I seem to be having the same problem as a lot of people when it comes to signal strength.

I've been reading this forum every day to see what issues other people are having, and it seems like hotmail and signals strength (indpendently) are the biggest culprits.

I have conditioned my battery for three days, so i will not do it anymore, but here are my results from today.

took phone off charger at 7:00 AM (100%)

I have Exchange set to as it arrives, and gmail set to 10 minutes
    Location services on, GPS on, WIFI Off, BT, Off Background services on

from 7:00 AM - 9:00 AM I was driving and was at my hotel with very good signal, went from 100% - 97% in mainly standby (did receive a few emails)

once I got to work, where I fluctuate between 1-2 bars, i went from 97% to 87% in about 45 min.

I have now turned off Background services to see if that improves the abttery life. If it does not, I am going to drop my phone off at my hotel for the second half of the day to see how it responds....I will let you all know.

Any suggestions would be appreciated
    UPDATE

Ok now i'm just dumbfounded

So after turning background services off, here are my results

10:41 68%
    11:21 66%
    11:41 50%
    11:44 49%

I have no cards opened and have sent 3 txt message

how the hell is this happening.

also during the time when the abttery was rapidly discharging the phone got warm

i have no clue at this point.

should i go for an exchange?
    So, I've tried:
    • deleting my pop3 account
    • setting Gmail to grab e-mails either manually or every 24 hours
    • Turning brightness all the way down
    • Wi-fi both on and off (I heard that having it on in crappy signal areas could actually improve battery life)
    • Bluetooth off
    • Messaging accounts signed off
    • Disabled Auto Locate, GPS, and Background Data Collection
    • All apps closed
    • Ran battery completely dead and charged full a couple of times already

And I still lose 10% battery an hour (so from 100% to 0% in 10 hours), without ANY USE AT ALL other than to turn on the screen every 15 minutes or so to check the battery. What the hell? Should I just exchange this for a new one or give it a couple more days?
    UPDATE

Ok now i'm just dumbfounded

So after turning background services off, here are my results

10:41 68%
    11:21 66%
    11:41 50%

I have no cards opened and have sent 3 txt message

how the hell is this happening.

also during the time when the abttery was rapidly discharging the phone got warm

i have no clue at this point.

should i go for an exchange?
    uh, gmail set @ 10 minutes will DESTROY your battery. Put it on as-items-arrive, or set it to something like 1 hour.

Also, as posted everywhere, make sure you do not have a Live/Hotmail account even installed on your Pre.
    uh, gmail set @ 10 minutes will DESTROY your battery. Put it on as-items-arrive, or set it to something like 1 hour.

Also, as posted everywhere, make sure you do not have a Live/Hotmail account even installed on your Pre.
    I don't have a Live/Hotmail account installed

also, I had Gmail set to as it arrives the past couple days, but i changed to 10 minutes to see if that would improve the life, which for the first 2 hours of today seems like it did

the reason i changed it to 10 minutes is because I get a lot of Gmail emails throughout the day, sometimes 2-3 per MINUTE (yea it's rediculous, but i'm on an email thread with some buddies of mine that can get a lot of emails really fast)

i figured since i get so many emails, changing it to 10 minutes would be beneficial.

what do you suggest?

also...one thing to note. I had a blackberry 8830 before this. on that i had exhange push email, and I had the Gmail app which would check every 10 or 15 minutes, and that had much better battery life. I'm just triyng to compare the 2 to see if the pre is worth keeping or not.

thanks for the help
    I don't have a Live/Hotmail account installed

also, I had Gmail set to as it arrives the past couple days, but i changed to 10 minutes to see if that would improve the life, which for the first 2 hours of today seems like it did

the reason i changed it to 10 minutes is because I get a lot of Gmail emails throughout the day, sometimes 2-3 per MINUTE (yea it's rediculous, but i'm on an email thread with some buddies of mine that can get a lot of emails really fast)

i figured since i get so many emails, changing it to 10 minutes would be beneficial.

what do you suggest?

also...one thing to note. I had a blackberry 8830 before this. on that i had exhange push email, and I had the Gmail app which would check every 10 or 15 minutes, and that had much better battery life. I'm just triyng to compare the 2 to see if the pre is worth keeping or not.

thanks for the help
    I'm not exactly sure how the BB application works, but the BB will get better battery life, so it seems.

BB also uses sub-channels to communicate email info--almost like a text message. This can save a lot of power as well.

The way you have it set up now, you are essentially making a 1-2 minute phone call every 10 minutes. Change it to 30, or perhaps make a change as to what account gets pushed. It's beneficial to have a secondary account for things like forum updates and spam, and then a separate for ONLY important/personal emails that you would want to be pushed.
    I'm not exactly sure how the BB application works, but the BB will get better battery life, so it seems.

BB also uses sub-channels to communicate email info--almost like a text message. This can save a lot of power as well.

The way you have it set up now, you are essentially making a 1-2 minute phone call every 10 minutes. Change it to 30, or perhaps make a change as to what account gets pushed. It's beneficial to have a secondary account for things like forum updates and spam, and then a separate for ONLY important/personal emails that you would want to be pushed.
    Here are the results for my second hour with background services off

12:04 48%
    12:29 44%
    12:44 43%

it looks like the second hour was a little better....again i dont' know why.

I'm now going on my lunch break where I'll be in my car and at my hotel where i geet near maximum signal. I'll report back letting you guys know how it performs

after my test in car/hotel, i'll switch my gmail to manual for the rest of my day at work to test ScrapMaker's suggestion.

thanks again