Page 19 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91415161718192021222324 ... LastLast
    Well, today after the 3rd full charge things are looking really good. I have push email on my Exchange account (but only receive about 2-3 emails an hour on average), brightness down to about 1/3, wifi on. I have done some browsing and viewing of apps but have only had two phone calls of about 10 minutes. It came off the charger at 7AM and it is now 3:30PM and I am at 52%. Yesterday, I had to recharge at noon.

Now I did notice this morning that when I first picked it up at 7 (was charging all night), it was at 98%. I replugged it in for a few minutes to get it to 100%. I know there was a WM device (the HTC Touch or Diamond or maybe the Q9c??) that would charge to full and then cut off charging and the battery would drop if the phone was charging while on. Odd, and I will look again tomorrow after tonight's charge.
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbatex View Post
    Well, today after the 3rd full charge things are looking really good. I have push email on my Exchange account (but only receive about 2-3 emails an hour on average), brightness down to about 1/3, wifi on. I have done some browsing and viewing of apps but have only had two phone calls of about 10 minutes. It came off the charger at 7AM and it is now 3:30PM and I am at 52%. Yesterday, I had to recharge at noon.

Now I did notice this morning that when I first picked it up at 7 (was charging all night), it was at 98%. I replugged it in for a few minutes to get it to 100%. I know there was a WM device (the HTC Touch or Diamond or maybe the Q9c??) that would charge to full and then cut off charging and the battery would drop if the phone was charging while on. Odd, and I will look again tomorrow after tonight's charge.
    HTC Touch Diamond and HTC Touch Pro, especially the CDMA variety--had a long laundry-list of problems... many of those were power/charging/heat-related.

My phone typically says 100% when I take it off the charger. It sits on the charger from 9am to 5pm, only picked up to tinker with sometimes.

With BT off, WIFI off, and location ON (not sure if that even does anything if I'm not using a location-based application, my battery was at 50% by 6:30pm. I used it a bit for email and browsing, but not excessive, in my opinion.

Today, I have deleted my Live! account, and set Gmail to "as items arrive," so we'll see how that helps things. The only emails I really get are from this site--which can be a TON, or none...
    So I did some tests today and yesterday and the only thing significant that I found was to disable the Wifi.

I ran it with full wifi, aim/gtalk both logged and battery life was horrible. 30% left after about 4 hours
    I turned off wifi and disabled aim/gtalk and batttery was great. 80% left after 4 hours.
    I kept wifi off and enabled aim and gtalk and battery was still great. 75% after 4 hours.

All this was after a full charge of at least 6 hours.
    Edit: the full wifi and aim was also more usage than normal, i suspect it would of been more like 45% left.

All the test were with 2 email accounts syncing.
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    After 10 hours of normal use today I am at 68%. The most major thing I have done overnight is letting the battery run down below 5% and an overnight charge.
    the building i work in eats my signal for breakfast. so the battery barely makes it through the day depending on how i use the phone. the phone is constantly searching for signal. my instinct did the same, but setting the phone to "sprint only" voice network helped some. doesn't seem to have had an effect with the pre yet though.

any tips to keep it from searching all day, hence killing the battery?
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    I appears the combined actions of removing Hotmail and shutting off the Background Data Collection feature did the trick for me. I unplugged my phone at 2am and it's now 3pm and I'm at 83% after very light usage today. That's a DRAMATIC improvement.
    1000 percent agree!!! Removed Hotmail last night, Full charge when walking out the door same as yesterday. I have been at work a 1/2 longer today and have used the phone and showed it off much more then yesterday. Walked out of work on a 7-5 day today with 68% percent left. Yesterday with less use I was at 8% and the phone was dead by the time I was home. Hotmail being removed was the only change. This saved me from returning the device. Fyi I had hotmail syncing only 3 days of mail and once an hour at first, then moved it to every 6 hours. Did not seem to make a difference. Hope the issue, be it with pop mail accounts or hotmail gets fixed, but I will live without it for now.
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skippyrulz View Post
    the building i work in eats my signal for breakfast. so the battery barely makes it through the day depending on how i use the phone. the phone is constantly searching for signal. my instinct did the same, but setting the phone to "sprint only" voice network helped some. doesn't seem to have had an effect with the pre yet though.

Goto the phone and set it to sprint only voice network. OR enable Airplane mode when in the bad service area.
    I am still not very happy with the battery life. I ran the battery down to single digits last night and then plugged it in.

I took my phone off the charger around 7:00am. I used it for a little while on the bus doing emails and web stuff. Maybe 10 minutes total. When I got to work I set email checking to manual and let it sit in my bag. At 5:00pm it's now at 47%. That's with 10 minutes or so usage and sitting idle the rest of the day! Sure it'll last me until I get home, but what if I actually wanted to use the thing? I mean it's pretty, but not pretty enough to just use as a decoration!

I have GPS off, background location blah blah off, WiFi off, screen brightness at maybe 10% (under the "gh" in "Brightness").
    Last edited by blueaura; 06/09/2009 at 05:06 PM. Reason: corrected typo
    Glad it's working out for you guys, those levels sound down right usable.

Mine is still suffering somewhat, and even with everything turned off and only gmail accounts on my phone, I am still losing 10% every hour when it's just on standby.

Maybe once the Sprint stores get replenished with batteries/phones, I can get the battery or phone switched and have it working better.
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts

I have a similar problem. Where I work my signal goes between 0 and 1 bars constantly, so Roaming doesn't take over because it sees Sprint a little bit, but all my calls get dropped within 30 seconds. On every prior Treo and Centro I had 3 options: Sprint Only, Roaming Only, or Both. I used to set it to Roaming only at work to get 4 bars on US Cellular's network, then I switched it back when I left the office to get high-speed data on Sprint. The Pre Does Not have the 'Roaming Only' option anymore, just the 'Sprint Only' or 'Automatic'. So the Pre is constantly scanning for the Sprint signal that it finds and loses all day, apparently hurting the battery (not to mention now I can't use the phone at work, I might be forced to return the Pre and switch carriers.)
    Quote Originally Posted by blueaura View Post
    I am still not very happy with the battery life. I ran the battery down to single digits last night and then plugged it in.

I took my phone off the charger around 7:00am. I used it for a little while on the bus doing emails and web stuff. Maybe 10 minutes total. When I got to work I set email checking to manual and let it sit in my bag. At 5:00pm it's now at 47%. That's with 10 minutes or so usage and sitting idle the rest of the day! Sure it'll last me until I get home, but what if I actually wanted to use the thing? I mean it's pretty, but not pretty enough to just use as a decoration!

I have GPS off, background location blah blah off, WiFi off, screen brightness at maybe 10% (under the "gh" in "Brightness").
    If you have a Live/Hotmail account, you need to completely remove it--not just set it to manual. There is a bug.

Also remember that linking facebook and gmail accounts causes other background processes that can pull data. If you have your phone in a bag, where it might be getting a poorer signal, that could make the situation worse.
    Quote Originally Posted by ScrapMaker View Post
    If you have a Live/Hotmail account, you need to completely remove it--not just set it to manual. There is a bug.

Also remember that linking facebook and gmail accounts causes other background processes that can pull data. If you have your phone in a bag, where it might be getting a poorer signal, that could make the situation worse.
    I have two gmail accounts, both of which are set to Manual during the day. I have no facebook or Live/Hotmail accounts.

The signal is poor here at my office; even with the phone sitting on my desk I get 1-3 bars. There is really nothing I can do about that short of finding a new job.
    Well I have to say that the battery life has improved since I last posted. I just streamed 3 hours of mark levin until the 10% point stopped the stream. I started the streaming at battery life of 73%. So, to put it into perspective, I got just over 4 hours on a 100% charge on my Treo 755p. I say it is a keeper!
    I used my Pre today at work since 9am. I came home at 5pm with a 68% charge and I made a handful of relatively short calls, checked the web and twitter a few times (normal use I'd say). I also leave wifi on although there is not wifi where I work. Everything else is running stock and I'm pretty satisfied so far. I may pickup a touchstone for the office and a spare extended battery for the rare situation where I might be traveling and need to have extra juice.
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    turning off background info collection helped. but removing hotmail totally transformed my battery life.
    Quote Originally Posted by blueaura View Post
    I have two gmail accounts, both of which are set to Manual during the day. I have no facebook or Live/Hotmail accounts.

The signal is poor here at my office; even with the phone sitting on my desk I get 1-3 bars. There is really nothing I can do about that short of finding a new job.
    Plug it in, or go to airplane. Those are your two options.
    Quote Originally Posted by noto220 View Post
    Goto the phone and set it to sprint only voice network. OR enable Airplane mode when in the bad service area.
    i did that yesterday (and with my instinct) and it didn't seem to make a lot of difference.

can't really do airplane mode, as that cuts off access to anything i would be doing on the phone anyway. might as well leave the phone at home or in my car.
    i did that yesterday (and with my instinct) and it didn't seem to make a lot of difference.

can't really do airplane mode, as that cuts off access to anything i would be doing on the phone anyway. might as well leave the phone at home or in my car.
    Didn't you say you left it in a bag anyways?
    Quote Originally Posted by ScrapMaker View Post
    Didn't you say you left it in a bag anyways?
    i don't think i said that. maybe you read someone else's post that said that. my phone normally stays on my desk unless i get up, and then it's in my pocket.

i just found out that tweed checks for replies, etc every 15 minutes if you have notifications turned on (even if the card is closed). so i turned those off and google background services as well as gps, none of which i need at work, and rarely at home. so we'll see how it goes tomorrow.

it's fine at home. but something about my building just kills the sprint signal.