Page 18 of 28 FirstFirst ... 81314151617181920212223 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    The battery life is definitely my only complaint about the Pre.

Using Pandora is impossible on the go, as it completely drains the battery by the time my train gets me near home. I've noticed turning off AIM helped a lot. I'm surprised the music player drains as much as it does, seeing as the screen can be off.

I'll be getting the Seidio extended life battery for sure.
    Day 3 the battery life is much better..I did all the suggested tips..and I can say it has made a difference
    Quote Originally Posted by raremage View Post
    That's 100% in 400 minutes, or about seven hours - still not acceptable for a mobile device. It'll be interesting to see if you have better performance with hotmail removed despite the longer interval.
    Since it turns off at 10%, he would get about 6 hours, which I agree is unacceptable if that drain level really does match his average usage.

I'm at 81% charge, a 19% drop from 5:30am this morning, 6 total hours, or about 10% every 3 hours (180 minutes vs. his 40.) My usage has been pretty light, 50 minutes of phone conversation and a dozen text messages.

With Hotmail I never got more than 4 hours, despite having the synch set to every hour and everything off (GPS, Wifi, BT.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disaster View Post
    Since it turns off at 10%, he would get about 6 hours, which I agree is unacceptable if that drain level really does match his average usage.

I'm at 81% charge, a 19% drop from 5:30am this morning, 6 total hours, or about 10% every 3 hours (180 minutes vs. his 40.) My usage has been pretty light, 50 minutes of phone conversation and a dozen text messages.

With Hotmail I never got more than 4 hours, despite having the synch set to every hour and everything off (GPS, Wifi, BT.)

Thats good.. i am glad we got a great community of users here.. who are willing to try different things.. and help the other users.. it sucked to see people only getting 3hrs out of their phone..
    Quote Originally Posted by jjlucsy View Post
    So far it seems to be running down faster than my iPhone, tho its hard to compare apples and oranges due to configuration and hardware differences.
    Funny you use that analogy of Apples and Oranges when Apple's logo is well.. an Apple and Palm's logo is Orange

Anyways, I always make sure that my wifi/bluetooth isn't running when I don't need them and I set my notifications to less frequent intervals. I'm sure Palm will keep improving the firmware to maximize battery life. This thing has a really smart CPU - so I think they haven't used all it's intelligent potential yet
    Typing from my pre as we speak! I live and work in a non sprint dominant area. Coming from the htc touch I was ready and fully understanding I was gonna give up some battery life for the pre.
    I was about to, unwillingly return the pre until I removed hotmail and turned off google talk. I couldn't even look at the phone without running it dead. Now battery its not great but I can at least look at and use it. I love it by the way.
    Thanks to all who give advice on this subject
    Last edited by huskrfj; 06/09/2009 at 11:38 AM.
    Turn it on airplane mode
    3% drop in over 8 hours.
    Where do you go to turn off google talk?
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Where do you go to turn off google talk?
    Go into messaging, click on buddies and the green for next to your login, click and it'll five the option to log off
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Got back from lunch with Hotmail removed from my phone and saw about a 100% increase in battery life (or 50% decrease in battery consumption, etc). Went from full battery down to 95% at the 40 minute mark. I actually used the phone a little more today than yesterday (a couple IMs, email, etc) so I'm pretty happy that it wasn't dropping a percent every 4 minutes.

For those that care, I had GPS, bluetooth, and wi-fi all turned off. Removed the hotmail account. Kept all IM clients open (2 AIM accounts, 1 GTalk).
    I'm syncing to my hotmail email account via POP. The battery live was 20% battery useage per hour with NO phone use, BT, WIFI, GPS off, email set to *manual* sync and no IM - the phone is sitting there idle, so brightness is nil.

I've got my hotmail account set to "Manual" sync. However, when i pick up my phone and turn it on, I get a notification that I've got email. I sent an email to the account associated with the phone and got the mail within a minute. However, I never told the phone to sync. I've also tried setting the phone to sync once a day, but I'm still getting mail nearly instantly, so AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $the$ $sync$ $settings$ $for$ $hotmail$ $at$ $least$ $dont$ $seem$ $to$ $work$.
    Wasn't the whole point of this phone that multi-tasking and having all these capabilities were feasable? If we have to DISABLE everything, what's the point?

At this point, my Pre is getting worse battery life than my old HTC Touch. I'm keeping it for now, but if I can't get my work email, I don't know WTH I'm going to do
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    General usage tidbit: after removing Hotmail, has anyone else noticed that things are snappier? My email used to lag quite a bit loading screens and messages, but everything just seems to work much better now. Or maybe I'm just delusional...
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    I have Live Mail as one of my accounts and have been having significant battery drain. I have not removed Live Mail but what I have done is let the battery run down as suggested to under 5%. I then charged it overnight. I have done normal use today and after 6 1/2 hours I have 82% left. Nothing else seemed to work.
    I have used WiFi at home, not BT, reduced the screen brightness and changed all my email account settings for retrieving mail.

I will now turn on BT and get push on email and see if I can figure what was the biggest drain on my battery and report back.
    Fingers crossed right now at 82%
    Here's a tip for all of you having low battery life issues.

Let the phone run all the way down, until you see the PALM logo for about 30 seconds and it shuts off. Then put it on the charger (preferably the plugin charger, as it's faster) and let it charge all the way to 100%.

This will recalibrate the Li-Ion battery's meter. You may find yourself getting 20-30% more life out of it once you have done that.

Also, I don't know how true this is, but I've read that freshly made Li-Ion batteries can actually be up to 30% lower in capacity than they will attain after a few charge-discahrge cycles. Be sure to post about your experience if you find battery life increasing after a few days.

This is the number one issue that is annoying me about the Pre. I was hoping the battery would be better, since I frequently go on trips where I don't get frequent opportunities to plug in. My Treo 650 was an amazing battery miser and would go days in standby without needing a charge if I didn't use it much.
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    I set my hotmail account and my work email account to update every 24 hours yesterday, yet all day today when I take the phone out of its holster it feels warm as if it's been in use, and I'm getting notifications at the bottom of the screen that say I have new emails, which I recognize as being from my hotmail account. Obviously the interval settings for the hotmail account is not functioning properly, a bug.
    Unplugged it at 6 a.m. with 100%, down to 56% power by noon with no significant use. I turned off Wifi at noon, which slowed down the degredation, but it's still warm, receiving hotmails, and down to 42% at 2:20p.m. with no active use besides checking on the battery life every half hour.
    Tomorrow I will remove hotmail so that I can have a full day without it on to compare it to previous full days. Thanks everyone for the input, I can't afford AT&T's services (iPhone), I'd rather fix this problem and get an extended-back battery and still plug the thing in to charge it (don't care about the novelty touchstone). Even with the extended battery it'll still be no thicker than my Treo 700p was, right now the Pre rattles around loose in the Treo's holster.
    Last edited by fixmdude; 06/09/2009 at 02:32 PM.
    So I'm now at 16%, after a bunch of calls (including a couple in excess of 30 minutes) and near constant-stream of email today. It's only 3:40 PM, so took me around seven hours to get here.

Touchstone was delivered to the house today though. I guess I'll be bringing a touchstone to put on my desk and simply drop the Pre on it during the day. Slight modification of my normal working mode, until an update improves the power management.
    Quote Originally Posted by ScrapMaker View Post
    Wasn't the whole point of this phone that multi-tasking and having all these capabilities were feasable? If we have to DISABLE everything, what's the point?
    Battery life is simply the price you pay for those features. With the Pre, you have that choice, but suffer the consequences.

The Palm UI and OS are all set up for multitasking in a glorious future of better batteries, but yeah, now there is a bit of that ominous feeling of the Pre being 'too early' for its own good.
    Quote Originally Posted by l1fe View Post
    General usage tidbit: after removing Hotmail, has anyone else noticed that things are snappier? My email used to lag quite a bit loading screens and messages, but everything just seems to work much better now. Or maybe I'm just delusional...
    You aren't delusional. All that crunching it was doing, trying to synch to Hotmail, would necessarily slow down other processes.
    Quote Originally Posted by judgeFire View Post
    Battery life is simply the price you pay for those features. With the Pre, you have that choice, but suffer the consequences.

The Palm UI and OS are all set up for multitasking in a glorious future of better batteries, but yeah, now there is a bit of that ominous feeling of the Pre being 'too early' for its own good.
    I wish the IM service worked using PUSH, so that the battery wouldn't die so quickly. On the OZ messenger on my WM phones, it didn't really alter my battery unless I was actively chatting all day.

I think there should be a MASTER preferences page, where we can set intervals for updates, etc... I hate that I have to go into each app and check the upper-left for an option.