Page 17 of 28 FirstFirst ... 7121314151617181920212227 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Yup, I can confirm it's hotmail that's draining my battery. No more heat issue! I removed them and used POP3 thru Gmail. Works just fine for now. Hope Palm fix this bugs.
    I have a separate Palm battery case which charged my 755 and 650 spare batteries (the charger plugged into the case in the same way it plugged into the treo). You can see the case at the treocentral store under Palm Treo battery charger.

Would I be able to use this case and if so what attachment would I need to buy to make it possible to use the new charger (or could I use my old chargers with this case)?

Separately, I've placed two separate orders online over the weekend with Sprint for extra batteries and paid for express shipping but it is taking them days to even process the orders, let alone ship them, and customer service is not a help--the system seems clunky and info varies from agent to agent (ie one said she could not cancel a backorder item and the next one said she could...)

Battery life seemed to be better yesterday after turning off background services and no roaming but I will need the GPS when traveling later this week, wish Sprint would get their act together...

Palm seems only to happy to ship the battery but is charging top dollar. My guess is that they'd love to make the extra dollar on the accessories. They confirmed also that the Sprint travel charger cord does not fit with the Touchstone.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Palm seems only to happy to ship the battery but is charging top dollar. My guess is that they'd love to make the extra dollar on the accessories.
    Accessories are a huge cash cow for manufacturers and service providers. I always wait till after market accessories are available. Bought a car charger for my Treo for $4 and an extra battery for $20. Had no problems with either.
    Here is my battery life story which is actually pretty good.I left home at 9am. Did over 1.5 hours of webbrowsing. sent 15 to 20 text messages. Approximate time talking was around 1 hour on and off. Screen Brightness is in the middle of the slider. Gps, wifi and Bluetooth are off. When I got home at 7:30 from work my phone was at 37% Went to be at 11:00pm decided to see if the phone could last the night. Woke up this morning at 6:15am and the phone was at 19%. Pretty good I think. Maybe I am lucky. Who knows.
    I wanna hear from the guys who were in the early pages of this thread.. and see what they have on their phone.. and if their batteries are getting better..

i dont have hotmail.. which could be the reason why my battery lasted all day
    Quote Originally Posted by dgrobe2112 View Post
    I wanna hear from the guys who were in the early pages of this thread.. and see what they have on their phone.. and if their batteries are getting better..

i dont have hotmail.. which could be the reason why my battery lasted all day
    I have 1 yahoo account and 1 gmail account linked to my Pre. I have to keep this phone on the charger all day. After that, I'll be lucky to get 10 hours of standby.
    I took the phone off the charger this morning at 5:30am. Made two phone calls...about 15 minutes total. Wrote 4 text messages. Edited and synched some contacts. Very light usage. Phone on 4.5 hours. It now reads 90% charge.

Previously, with the Hotmail account activated, it never lasted more than 4 hours.
    Quote Originally Posted by iboost79 View Post
    I have 1 yahoo account and 1 gmail account linked to my Pre. I have to keep this phone on the charger all day. After that, I'll be lucky to get 10 hours of standby.
    Have you removed your hotmail.. to see if it gets better?
    Quote Originally Posted by Disaster View Post
    I took the phone off the charger this morning at 5:30am. Made two phone calls...about 15 minutes total. Wrote 4 text messages. Edited and synched some contacts. Very light usage. Phone on 4.5 hours. It now reads 90% charge.

Previously, with the Hotmail account activated, it never lasted more than 4 hours.
    This is very interesting, I have hotmail on mine, and I don't have any heat issues with it, the only time I have heat issues is when I'm surfing on the internet for a long period of time, or downloading music from Amazon, battery life is also not a problem either.. My phone last at least 6-7hrs with my hotmail.. I'm going to test it out today to see, and I'll report back. I've been using it with hotmail from day 1.
    Remember, this is my opinion ! We all have a right to our own.....

Treo's 650-800..NOW,
    Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by vantechmag View Post

But the same phone did then work for over 12 hours, with Gmail active and you can get your Hotmail emails "pulled" by Gmail, too ;-)
    How do you get Gmail to pull your Hotmail messages?
    Would a Live account be considered the same as Hotmail?
    yes i believe it was mentioned that live is also part of the battery issues..
    This is from the Palm Pre manual in regards to battery life:
    Maximizing Battery Life
    Battery life depends on how you use your phone. You can maximize the life of your battery by
    following a few easy guidelines:
     Set your screen to turn off automatically after a shorter period of inactivity (see “Set the
    Interval for Turning the Screen Off Automatically” on page 187).
     Keep your battery away from direct sunlight and other sources of heat. Temperatures over
    50 degrees Celsius (120 degrees Fahrenheit) can permanently reduce the capacity and
    life span of any lithium-ion battery.
     As with any mobile phone, if you are in an area with no wireless coverage, your phone
    continues to search for a signal, which consumes power. Turn off your phone if you are
    outside a coverage area (see “Turn Wireless Services Off (Airplane Mode)” on page 22).
     Turn off the Wi-Fi (see “Wi-Fi” on page 230), Bluetooth (see “Bluetooth® Wireless
    Technology” on page 249), and GPS (see “Location Services” on page 236) features
    when you are not using them.
     If you set up an email account in the Email application, set the interval to automatically
    download email to every two hours or less frequently (see “Enter Advanced Account
    Settings” on page 206).
     Lower the screen brightness (see “Change Screen Brightness” on page 186).
     Avoid excessive use of instant messaging (IM). Frequent use of IM can reduce battery life.
     Charge your phone whenever you can. Charge it overnight. The battery has a much
    longer useful life when it is topped off frequently than when it is charged after it is fully
    drained.
     You can buy an extra battery as a spare for long plane trips or periods of heavy use. To
    purchase batteries that are compatible with your phone, go to
    palm.com/us/products/phones/pre/index.html.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carioca_FL View Post
    How do you get Gmail to pull your Hotmail messages?
    I "only" retelling what people did experience at that Palm forum, to help the poor "battery drain victims" and I don't actually use any web email, or even email to my lovely Treo 680 - yes, I live in Sweden so I can only dream about Palm Pre

But they did instruct each other, how to set Gmail to catch Hotmail (you cant forward from Hotmail) and it did work perfect...
    Update on what I'm seeing today, which includes heavier usage. I unplugged this morning around 7:30 AM and have WiFi enabled until just now (10:30 AM). I've done about 60 minutes on the phone, plus have had around 20 emails, and sent and/or received half a dozen texts. In addition did a little web surfing for some information I needed. One call was a concall that I initiated (and that was more confusing than expected, but that's another story).

I'm at 61% at the moment. I figure I can do another couple hours on the phone and be just about dead if need be, but I don't have any other calls scheduled at the moment. I suspect the wifi probably dragged me down quite a bit as well - thought I had turned it off, but apparently not.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    For the people who saw dramatic increases in battery life after removing Hotmail, what were your retrieval intervals? My battery life hasn't been nearly as terrible as some users here (losing about 10% every 40 minutes on average), but my Hotmail was set to every 30 minutes. I just removed it to check to see if I have any gains when I unplug it for lunch...
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    whats the price of this extended battery?(sorry i'm a bit lazy to look)

my battery is getting better...i stilll have hotmail, but i have it set to 6hrs...testing..plus i dont need to chk that email often anyway.

phone is no longer hot when charged, yet while on the phone last nite for 40min, it did seem a lil warm, yet that should be normal.
    Quote Originally Posted by l1fe View Post
    For the people who saw dramatic increases in battery life after removing Hotmail, what were your retrieval intervals? My battery life hasn't been nearly as terrible as some users here (losing about 10% every 40 minutes on average), but my Hotmail was set to every 30 minutes. I just removed it to check to see if I have any gains when I unplug it for lunch...
    That's 100% in 400 minutes, or about seven hours - still not acceptable for a mobile device. It'll be interesting to see if you have better performance with hotmail removed despite the longer interval.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stay Suh View Post
    whats the price of this extended battery?(sorry i'm a bit lazy to look)
    It really doesn't hurt to just search but here you go:

Standard Battery $39.99

Slim Extended Life (No replacement door needed) $44.95

If you do the math it's 12% more in price to gain 17% more capacity. It's not much but it's something. I plan on putting up the extra $4.95.
    LG TP 1100 -> Sanyo SCP-5150 -> LG PM-325 -> Nokia 1100 -> Motorola v557 -> Treo 755p -> HTC EVO 4G

Sprint customer since 2001
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by raremage View Post
    That's 100% in 400 minutes, or about seven hours - still not acceptable for a mobile device. It'll be interesting to see if you have better performance with hotmail removed despite the longer interval.
    Oh, the performance of my phone is still terrible, but not nearly as bad as a full battery in 3 hours . I'll let everyone know what I find in a couple hours...I'm crossing my fingers...

I am kind of curious as to the intersecting point where closing and opening a program between usages will be as efficient as keeping a card open. Depending on how active a particular card is when idle, it may make more sense to keep them open in the short term, etc. Anyway, maybe someone with a lot of free time on their hands can find out for the most commonly used apps