Page 13 of 28 FirstFirst ... 38910111213141516171823 ... LastLast
  1. D R
    Quote Originally Posted by D R View Post
    Hey all -

I think I may have fixed my excessive heat/battery drain issue, although it's still early to tell. Like some others, I had battery life of about 3 hours with low use and the Pre became crazy hot while synching my email accounts for the first time.

Yesterday I noticed that my phone was running relatively warm while in idle, indicating that something was running in the background. In contrast, my girlfriend's Pre is running just fine throughout the day under about the same amount of use, if not more.

Last night I tried to essentially mirror her settings, installed apps, and activated features to see if it would resolve my battery problem. Our GPS settings were the same, but I uninstalled the apps using location services and disabled Facebook synching, plus a few other tweaks. So far, the heat issue has been resolved and the battery life is pretty decent. I will keep adding apps and services one at a time to see if I can pinpoint anything via the process of elimination, and repost my findings (If Palm doesn't issue an update first).
    an update: So after 5 hours of intermediate web browsing, 2 calls, and putzing around the phone, the phone was still cool and had 62% left. I decided to re-install some apps: Fandango, AccuWeather, and Where. About an hour later, the phone is at 47% and is yet again running warm when idle. This seems to support my hypothesis that one of the apps is draining the battery.

For anyone else with serious battery issues, have you tried uninstalling all of the user-installed apps to see if it does the trick?
    i have noticed it also to warm up mainly in the car, with navigation running, and the phone on the charger.. but other than that.. its not a big heat notice.. first day, while it was charging.. it was warm.. but since then it has cooled considerably..
    i have all the apps on my phone.. right now.. and its been used for the past 4 hours about the same as i use my other phone.. and its nice and cool.. with 64% battery left..

Also, with the new update, the email stuff is way better than it was with the original OS..
  4. D R
    dgrobe, I'm talking about just sitting there on your desk, screen off, no cards, etc. I'm now at 42% (about 5 minutes later).

Still, it sounds like you're doing just fine battery wise. Do you mind telling me what apps you've installed?
    an update: So after 5 hours of intermediate web browsing, 2 calls, and putzing around the phone, the phone was still cool and had 62% left. I decided to re-install some apps: Fandango, AccuWeather, and Where. About an hour later, the phone is at 47% and is yet again running warm when idle. This seems to support my hypothesis that one of the apps is draining the battery.

For anyone else with serious battery issues, have you tried uninstalling all of the user-installed apps to see if it does the trick?
    Interesting! Keep us informed what you find with the Apps.

Something I also noticed: So in Location Services, I have Auto Locate set to off. My impression was that this would force an app to ask you to access the GPS each time it wanted to, correct? So the next time I used any location-sensitive App, indeed, it asked for permission to get my location from the GPS, and it even says "for this session only" (or something close to that). But after the first time opening a certain App, it never asks permission again. This is contrary to how I thought the "Auto Locate: OFF" setting would work, because this seems to me that once you tell an App that it is ok once, then that App Auto Locates every time I open it. Once it has permission, could an App be accessing the GPS in the background without you knowing that it is?

I don't want anything getting GPS info unless that card is open, for battery and privacy reasons (also why Background Data Collection is off, battery and privacy). Are Apps accessing GPS even when the App is closed and Auto Locate is off?
    just deleted a bunch of apps. turned off all the gps crap. ask only. turned off google syncing of contacts. deleted my hotmail accounts after i merged them through google. and various other things. lets see if i get more than 4 hours now.
  7. D R
    Quote Originally Posted by pullbangdead View Post
    Interesting! Keep us informed what you find with the Apps.
    Will do. I am now at 35% (from 47% 20 minutes ago). I noticed the Auto Locate toggle didn't seem to work as well, although my girlfriend has the setting to "On" and she's still getting great battery life.

Anyway, I'm off to my Electric Circuits final. The phone's going to airplane mode for a couple of hours.

I'm not seeing significant battery drain (meaning: I should make it thru the day easily) and I don't have Fandango nor Where installed. I do have Accuweather, but it isn't running at the moment.

EDIT: Oh, and I should have said, I have no appreciable heat increase with the phone idle.
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    I may be crazy. I would like to know if those with battery problems have HOTMAIL sync, because I removed the hotmail account and it appears better, I may be imagining it , but I did notice that no matter what the settings on the hotmail, (every 5 mins, every 6 hours, ) the email still was coming in no matter what the settings. This is really important. So those with battery problems, or just would like longer battery and have hotmail , try it and lets see if this is a bug.
    dgrobe, I'm talking about just sitting there on your desk, screen off, no cards, etc. I'm now at 42% (about 5 minutes later).

Still, it sounds like you're doing just fine battery wise. Do you mind telling me what apps you've installed?
    I have just about every app there is.. i didnt get the classic.. and stuff.. but here is a list of my apps..

accuweather
    pandora
    ap mobile
    craigslist
    sudoku
    sporting news baseball
    fandango
    flixster

OK, maybe not all of the apps.. but thats a good list..

I took my phone off of my touchstone at 11:00 this morning central time.. with a full 100% charge..

Currently, my phone says 4:09 battery: 58%

lot of texting, surfing, nothing majorly different than normal.. i dont have blue tooth on, and dont have on wi-fi. no need for them right now.. i do have wi-fi at home..

This also includes the download of the new OS, and install, along with downloading the newer apps.

i have not made any phone calls, and also.. i have my screen set to be on, and turn off after 3 minutes.. which is maximum amount of time before it goes black..
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    yesterday i read some of these tips and did them, today my batterys hasn't even been below 75%, turning off the GPS location to "ask" really did it and lowering the screens brightness. I texted pretty regularly and did some web browsing, nothing like i did yesterday, but its still be really good today.
    also, i got yahoo email account on my phone.. and it updates way faster than my instinct ever did.. i have not changed anything about when it checks for new mail.. just set it up on there.. and that was it..
    dgrobe: You downloaded the 1.0.2 update, installed it, along with all the apps, and ran the phone for 5 hours, all on battery only, and it's only down to 58%?

I'm impressed, I want a battery like that one.
    6:00am - battery at 100%
    4:00pm - battery at 20%

I used the Pre for about an hour today. Rest of the time it was sleep/standby. I had about 2 signal bars. Can someone explain this?

4 email accounts pushed. maybe 20 text incoming texts. 15 incoming emails. What gives?
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    A lot of you guys are talking about "installing" and "uninstalling" apps, and installed apps causing issues? I have all the main apps (Pandora, Fandango, etc.) with location enabled. As my battery is just OK. I use an app, and then close the card. I don't see how an app can be running in the background and using power if it's not running?

Here's my usage btw:
    Took off charger at 100% at 7:00 am
    Used Pandora for 90 minutes
    Browsed the internet for an hour (while listening to Pandora)
    Downloaded two new apps
    Sent and received around 10 texts
    Downloaded 20 new emails
    Have Facebook syncing
    Watched 2 short YouTube videos

My settings:
    Have screen brightness at 1-point from lowest
    Screen turn off after 30 seconds
    Have Gmail syncing every hour
    Habit of hitting the power-button to put device in stand-by

End results: At 5:30pm, after 10 hours of my normal use as mentioned, the battery is at 43%.
    Last edited by haydur; 06/08/2009 at 04:40 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by pullbangdead View Post
    dgrobe: You downloaded the 1.0.2 update, installed it, along with all the apps, and ran the phone for 5 hours, all on battery only, and it's only down to 58%?

I'm impressed, I want a battery like that one.
    correct.. also.. did the facebook sync during this time.. during the install however, the phone was in an off state.. with just the logo on the screen..
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by iboost79 View Post
    6:00am - battery at 100%
    4:00pm - battery at 20%

I used the Pre for about an hour today. Rest of the time it was sleep/standby. I had about 2 signal bars. Can someone explain this?

4 email accounts pushed. maybe 20 text incoming texts. 15 incoming emails. What gives?
    - Increase email intervals to an hour
    - Reduce brightness to lowest
    - Set turn off screen time to 30 seconds
    - Hit the power button to put the phone to sleep when not in use

The low signals are also very likely to cause battery drain. Ask Sprint to put a tower near you, if they say no, ask for a free Airave.
    Quote Originally Posted by haydur View Post
    A lot of you guys are talking about "installing" and "uninstalling" apps, and installed apps causing issues? I have all the main apps (Pandora, Fandango, etc.) with location enabled. As my battery is just OK. I use an app, and then close the card. I don't see how an app can be running in the background and using power if it's not running?

Here's my usage btw:
    Took off charger at 100% at 7:00 am
    Used Pandora for 90 minutes
    Browsed the internet for an hour
    Downloaded two new apps
    Sent and received around 10 texts
    Downloaded 20 new emails
    Have Facebook syncing
    Watched 2 short YouTube videos

My settings:
    Have screen brightness at 1-point from lowest
    Screen turn off after 30 seconds
    Have Gmail syncing every hour
    Habit of hitting the power-button to put device in stand-by

End results: At 5:30pm, after 10 hours of my normal use as mentioned, the battery is at 43%.
    See, that's an EXCELLENT result, I would be ecstatic with that. My phone WILL NOT do that without putting in on the charger today.
    Been experiencing same battery issues as everybody else. Fully charge the phone, little use and 5 hours later have 5% batt left.....Then, I decided to delete Pandora app and SURPRISE!!!!!!!!!!!! battery lasted all day.. Anyone else care to comment , or try this and then comment. Maybe Pandora app is killing our batteries
    if your running pandora.. sure.. its gonna use up the battery.. i dont use pandora, except at home when i can hear it. i use my ipod for my music at work..